Keyless Ignition Retrofit on an ST?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Anyone ever look into a keyless ignition to add to an ST11 or ST13? I see there are quite a few on Amazon, but don't know anything about retrofitting one. Or maybe even replace the keyed ignition switch with a simple rocker/button/toggle switch? Of course, the starter button would still be active, just thinking about the ignition switch itself. I'm not looking at it from a security standpoint, just simplicity, i.e. lost key, worn key, broken key, etc.

Bike
2010 ST1300

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for that, I remember reading about that now. Interesting comment at the end of Post #11 of that thread, something I hadn't considered...

...The other issue it caused was that I always rode with the keys in my pockets and on a couple of occasions, I stopped to remove the seat to adjust it and rode away with the key still in the seat latch and open. Needless to say, I lost a pannier or two. If the key had been required to start the bike, I wouldnt have left the pannier unlatched. After the first one, I thought "you moron" but after the second one I realized that I was being hard on morons and that I should cut my losses and go back to using the key.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here's a scenario for you, you place your key fob on the table next to your bike, thinking it's in your pocket..it's close enough to let you start the bike and ride off....then you need gas 200 miles away :rofl1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Here's a scenario for you, you place your key fob on the table next to your bike, thinking it's in your pocket..it's close enough to let you start the bike and ride off....then you need gas 200 miles away :rofl1:
Hypothetically, of course :biggrin:

Bike
2005 st1300
Still need the key for the bags, the fuel cap and the seat. Seems like a minimal gain. RT
My biggest gripe with the key was that with the risers and my phone, and now a 7" tablet mounted on the riser, it makes it cumbersome to get the key in and out, plus I hate keys. Minimal gain... yes, but still a gain to me. I never regretted the system until I lost a pannier. Worked slick. Plus, like I said earlier, the winters are long in Canada

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
My biggest gripe with the key was that with the risers and my phone, and now a 7" tablet mounted on the riser, it makes it cumbersome to get the key in and out, plus I hate keys. Minimal gain... yes, but still a gain to me. I never regretted the system until I lost a pannier. Worked slick. Plus, like I said earlier, the winters are long in Canada

I'm far more likely to lose the key, or forget it, and not be able to put gas in, etc. with a system like that. To each their own. I know my limitations....

RT

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Personal experience....? T

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I'm not looking at it from a security standpoint, just simplicity, i.e. lost key, worn key, broken key, etc.
Hi Paul:

If you're looking for simplicity, a much simpler answer would be to cut two spare keys, put one in a pocket of your jacket that you never use (or just zip-tie it to the zipper of your jacket & use it as a zipper pull), and hide the other one somewhere on your bike - there's lots of places where you can do that.

Retrofitting a keyless access system introduces another level of complexity, and another point of failure. Plus, OEM automotive keyless systems will display a message on the instrument panel if the key is out of range once the vehicle has been started - you won't have that reminder on a motorcycle.

Honestly, I think it's a bad idea.

Michael

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Personal experience....? T
No, not at all.. I've only seen Padden's RT which has the keyless start option, I think it's pretty cool. Just no idea how an aftermarket option would work. You probably have to be pretty close to the bike w/key fob and if you drove off I assume there would be some alert as with cars w/keyless start.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Are you talking key fob or just a kill switch like dirt bikes used to have? There are a lot of wires that go to that key switch. A friend of mine had a Concourse with a key fob. He hung both of his jackets in his garage and left the fob in the pocket of the wrong one. Didn't realize it until he got to the gas station. My son broke a key off in his gas cap one time and it took a locksmith to get the piece out. That worries me more than the ignition key.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like the idea of keyless ignition - always have. Like any dad-gum new-fangled device it's not always perfect and always not for somebody. And like any endeavour - if you're going to do it you've got to commit or stay home.

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
My Beemer has the keyless feature with "push button to switch on ignition, then push again to switch off". If for instance, like Joe mentioned, you ride off without it, there is an indicator that lights up on the dash if the bike gets more than about 15 feet away when the engine is running. So the chances you ride off without the FOB is slim to none without knowing about it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My Beemer has the keyless feature with "push button to switch on ignition, then push again to switch off". If for instance, like Joe mentioned, you ride off without it, there is an indicator that lights up on the dash if the bike gets more than about 15 feet away when the engine is running. So the chances you ride off without the FOB is slim to none without knowing about it.
Right, I know BMW does a good job with it, just curious if some aftermarket option would be as integrated. Plus how does BMW do the gas cap thing? Still need the key for that?

Top Bottom