SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Speaking of personal experience...

Both Chris's '15 Highlander and my '16 Tacoma, both have keyless ignition. While the Pros are pretty good, not having to fumble for a key and then fumble for the key slot, the one con that I have experienced is when Chris and I get in her car, I forget to grab my key fob for it and then I drop her off at the store and I'm going to go get gas. Except, I won't be able restart the car since I don't have my key fob! The good thing, as soon as the key fob is out of range, the buzzer goes off telling you there is no key fob present. So I've been able to stop her and get it from her and I haven't gotten stuck yet!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It's all about building new muscle memories. But having a spare fob or key couldn't hurt except maybe in the wallet. For me not fumbling for a key is huge. It's similar to my looking at my watch when my phone rings or I get a text. No fumble just glance and ignore as desired. Keyless ignition of some version was why I almost got a Connie but the nicer lines of the ST won out.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I had the battery in my fob for my Jeep die the other morning. Car wouldn't start. Had to go inside and get my spare one. Glad I was home and not at work.

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Right, I know BMW does a good job with it, just curious if some aftermarket option would be as integrated. Plus how does BMW do the gas cap thing? Still need the key for that?
Gas fill release is also keyless. As long as you have the FOB within a couple feet (on you) the lift-up release lever will open so you can fill tank. If the FOB is out of range, it will not open. I've heard, but never tried it, if the FOB battery gets weak, or goes dead, you can hold the FOB just in front of the gas release and it will still open to gain access to it. Not sure how that seems to work though. Magic?

Really, the only time you need the actual key (which is inside the FOB with a button release) is to release the saddle bags to take them off or release the seat to remove. My previous Beemer (2012 GT) had a key for the ignition. That was the only way it came at the time with no option. Although it did have a FOB for locking the saddle bags and setting the alarm on the bike. The 2015 GT (bought it used with low miles) has the same with the keyless start.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I had the battery in my fob for my Jeep die the other morning. Car wouldn't start. Had to go inside and get my spare one.
That is odd. Most of the keyless entry & keyless start systems work by using a small transponder that is embedded into the key blade - the transponder itself does not need battery power, it is a RFID (Radio Frequency ID) device that responds to interrogation from the vehicle.

The key fobs also contain a separate system which locks and unlocks doors & the trunk lid when buttons are pressed on the fob. This system does need power from the small internal battery within the fob. If the battery in the key fob is dead, the buttons won't work to lock and unlock, but the transponder will work to authorize a start. You may need to remove a protective cap from the driver door handle to access a traditional key cylinder to unlock the door with the key blade to get access to the inside of the vehicle. Most vehicles give you about 15 seconds after a manual (key-blade) unlock to get the vehicle started before the anti-theft alarm (if so equipped) activates.

I'm not familiar with Jeeps (my expertise is VW), but you might want to check your owner manual to see if there is a procedure for placing the key fob in a certain location (typically along the side of the steering column) if the vehicle does not start with the key fob in your pocket or wherever you normally keep it. This 'certain location' is proximate to where the transmitter-receiver that interrogates the transponder in the key is located. There will usually be more than one transmitter-receiver in the vehicle, for example, to prevent the trunk from locking with the key inside the trunk, or to prevent the cabin doors from locking with the key inside, but the manufacturers usually designate one transmitter-receiver as the specific one to hold the key against if it is not recognized normally.

Michael

STOC #
Right, I know BMW does a good job with it, just curious if some aftermarket option would be as integrated. Plus how does BMW do the gas cap thing? Still need the key for that?
Never had a problem with Keyless on my ‘16 or ‘18 BMW GSA‘s. The fuel filler cap will remain unlocked for 2 minutes after the ignition is shut off. You can open it any in that two minute period. If it is past the two minutes, you just bring the key fob in range and that will unlock the filler cap. I would be leery about an aftermarket keyless system. I know electronics are pretty advanced nowadays but most systems are based on proven designs, usually from cars. Caveat Emptor !!

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have also never had a problem with the keyless start on my 2015 K1600GT. Yes, you have to be close for it to work. Either on or standing by the bike. Stand 6ft away and it will not start.

I keep the key fob in my 'stich arm pocket so it is very close tp the RHS handle. There is an indicator on the bike that shows when the battery in the fob is getting low.

For those who are afraid of riding off after leaving the key fob on a table by the bike, BMW does provide a simple plastic key which if placed close to the gas cap will unlock the bike. That key remains in my wallet behind my Visa card :oops:

All of this is yesterday's technology. My son's Tesla Model 3 just uses an app on his phone to unlock the car and reverse it out of the garage :eek::headbang::rofl1:

Bike
2010 ST-1300
That is odd. Most of the keyless entry & keyless start systems work by using a small transponder that is embedded into the key blade - the transponder itself does not need battery power, it is a RFID (Radio Frequency ID) device that responds to interrogation from the vehicle.

The key fobs also contain a separate system which locks and unlocks doors & the trunk lid when buttons are pressed on the fob. This system does need power from the small internal battery within the fob. If the battery in the key fob is dead, the buttons won't work to lock and unlock, but the transponder will work to authorize a start. You may need to remove a protective cap from the driver door handle to access a traditional key cylinder to unlock the door with the key blade to get access to the inside of the vehicle. Most vehicles give you about 15 seconds after a manual (key-blade) unlock to get the vehicle started before the anti-theft alarm (if so equipped) activates.

I'm not familiar with Jeeps (my expertise is VW), but you might want to check your owner manual to see if there is a procedure for placing the key fob in a certain location (typically along the side of the steering column) if the vehicle does not start with the key fob in your pocket or wherever you normally keep it. This 'certain location' is proximate to where the transmitter-receiver that interrogates the transponder in the key is located. There will usually be more than one transmitter-receiver in the vehicle, for example, to prevent the trunk from locking with the key inside the trunk, or to prevent the cabin doors from locking with the key inside, but the manufacturers usually designate one transmitter-receiver as the specific one to hold the key against if it is not recognized normally.

Michael
Maybe it's not the battery I haven't changed it yet? It's hanging on my spare key rack.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yes, you have to be close for it to work. Either on or standing by the bike. Stand 6ft away and it will not start.
Which as one might surmise is a good thing. If the fob had a great range and you wandered into the shops somebody could start the bike and ride off. Granted once stopped (IGN off) they couldn't start it again but that would still leave the owner scratching his head. I though I read the ST1800 has an On/Off switch for its fob.

My son's Tesla Model 3 just uses an app on his phone to unlock the car and reverse it out of the garage
That's a different application altogether so the 'tech' would be different as well. I've seen that Tesla Trick of egress from a garage. In a demo a guy 'pushed a button' on his iPhone and– his garage door opened then his Model S backed out and the garage door shut. For all I know– by know maybe you could even say to the Apple Watch "Hey Siri— bring the S out" and job done. Maybe even pop open the driver's door while maintaining security until the fob possessor makes their approach. That car would be the KITT Edition.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I wired my bike so that I could easily plug in a switch (that I carry) in order to start it independent of the ignition switch. If I install a fob-based ignition switch someday, I'll still be alright if I lose the fob or drive away without it.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Where do you plug it?
One side plugs into the hot wire that triggers my ignition bypass relay and also into the red/black wire which is the hot wire for the headlight relays (on the ABSII). The other side attaches to the battery positive terminal.

1609806754938.png

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
To solve it, I just keep another key with me at all times.
I do the same though I should get 'round to doing the short key mod to leave a key in at least one pannier as appropriate.

If I got another bike and it had a keyless ignition I'd be pretty happy! I like that BMW police bike that Noraly was riding that had keyless ignition.

Bike
R1200rt
It's a idea that sounds great but we all need dependability. Factory systems are wired carefully, sealed connectors, heavily tested and some of them have problems The problem I see is that there are many connections that have to be cut/spliced and for every connection there is another possible point of a failure. There are enough connection from the factory that fail, but for the most part the factory stuff is pretty good. If your confident of your own electrical skills have at it.

Top Bottom