Knee replacement March 8 , 2016

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Been considering this for a while now. My doctor and my wife have been pushing...but....it bothers me that if the replacement fails, my oem part will be in a dumpster somewhere. Maybe irrational, maybe not.
Aside from the discomfort (outright pain), my left side knee sometimes either locks up, or fails to lock. The surprise just doesn't get any better.
My GL1000's side cover pressed at just the right point on my left knee to unlock it at stops if I wasn't paying close attention. Engine guards kept scuffing to a minimum.
The ST1100 has no protrusions so I became a little complacent...knee folded at a stop and over we went. Only scuffed the left guard cover a bit. This got me considering a replacement again.
This getting old business is sometimes a real joke. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Had mine done by Dr Pepper, yah I know, but he comes out of Ft Worth to Granbury on Wednesdays and was referred to him. Knees and hips are his specialty. Had it done at Baylor Surgery which is brand new facility. Very nice place. Only problem I had was knee swelled within hours of discharge and I was back in Baylor All Saints for the next week. That place is the pits!!! Slow process for me but it's coming around.

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
I go today for first post surgery follow up. I am amazed that when walking down steps the the things that used to hurt don't, but I have muscles that are letting me know they are still there. Monday night at PT was the first time I could make a complete circle with exercise bike, look forward to getting back to riding it. Went back to the office after first week but not for all day. This week been there all day and very tired by end of day. I also set at a desk to answer phones and emails. Been asked if I am going to do the other knee and the answer is yes! All the pain that caused me to do the surgery is gone. The one thing as everyone has mentioned is being strong before surgery, my doctor sent me to rehab for 4 weeks prior to surgery. I would recommend as much therapy prior to surgery and plan to continue therapy prior next surgery this fall. It is a major surgery and will take a long time to recover but all of us have a common goal to ride without pain and for me that helps keep me focused during those intense moments that the therapist is trying to move my knee beyond what I have done on my own! Hard to think how much pain someone less than 100 lbs can inflict to make me get better! All good and thanks for all the support!
Randy

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I am amazed that when walking down steps the the things that used to hurt don't, but I have muscles that are letting me know they are still there.
Glad the 'hurt' is gone!
I tell recovering patients: "It took you years to get into this condition; give yourself some time to get yourself back into condition".

The other people at rehab asked Chris what she did for a living because she was *really* going all-out while at therapy. She said "I'm a stay at home mom and homeschool my kids". They were shocked; but, Chris knew that the more effort she put in early the better her long term results would be... I now have to remind her that her doctor told her 'Yes you can play basketball as long as you don't jump'. :D

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Had follow up doc appt yesterday. He said it looks good. Bend it this way and that way. I said it still feels a little tight. He said that's normal. He said unless something comes up, I'll see you in a year. I'll keep exercising the crap out of it. At least the bone on bone hurting feeling is long gone!

Hang in there Randy, it'll only get better. Just takes time, especially for an old fart like me!

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Gary
Had my follow up yesterday as well. Doctor was happy with progress, I explained about some pain in my hamstring and they sent me for ultra sound to check for blood clots. Everything is good. They also changed the meds and last night was the first night I was able to sleep most of the night.
Phil was correct about his comment on therapist!, I explained that I would be traveling for the next few weeks and she beat me up pretty bad (in a good way) and give additional homework. Therapist said she would be concerned but my progress is a couple weeeks ahead of schedule and she could tell I was doing home therapy by my progress.
Everyone support has helped to see the light at the end of the tunnel and the light isn't a train!!!

Thanks
Randy

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well that is good news for you guys! I'm glad things are going in the right direction. I go in today at 3:30. I do not expect good news. I'm pretty sure I am going to have to have mine minipulated under anastasia. I am ready to do it if that is what it will take to get my range of motion back. I guess I will know more later today.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well that is good news for you guys! I'm glad things are going in the right direction. I go in today at 3:30. I do not expect good news. I'm pretty sure I am going to have to have mine minipulated under anastasia. I am ready to do it if that is what it will take to get my range of motion back. I guess I will know more later today.
Sounds like you got a lot of scar tissue left over and it regrew quick. Hope they can get it taken care of!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Is there any relationship between the range of motion pre and post surgery? I've still got pretty good range as of now and hoping that's prognostic for post surgery.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jeff - In my experience, you lose some range of motion as part of the 'process'. I forget what the 'degrees' of motion are that they target, I'm thinking around 140, IIRC (measured differently than my brain computes it). For instance, I could tap my butt with the back of my heel before the replacements (extreme flexibility), but can't do it now. The interesting part for me was the concept of 'backward' flexibility - where your knee actually bends in the opposite direction of 'normal'. My hardest therapy was face down, knee just off the edge of a bed or chair, and 2 1/2 pounds of weight strapped to the ankle to bend the knee 'backwards' (downwards) opposite of it's normal bend. You stayed that way for as long as you could stand it. Talk about yellow water flowing on the floor ... ;-) They told me you could lose degrees of 'normal' bend and still walk but if you lost degrees of 'backwards' bend, you would not be able to walk with a normal gait. I presume they were honest or else just liked to see me suffer ... :D If you've got good flexibility now, that will be helpful. The best thing is to exercise and strengthen the muscles as much as you can before the surgery as every bit helps afterwards.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I agree with UP on getting the muscles in the best shape you can before the op; but, I don't think range of motion before has an impact on range of motion after the op.
I think after op ROM is dependent on the specific hardware as well as the amount of effort you put in to gaining the flexibility back.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I just got home from work m my Dr visit. He says everything looks good. Told me to push it as hard as I can. I go back in n 6 weeks. I have extr hardware to in my Tibia do to all the hardware they took out. That explains why my scar is so much longer than everybody else's I have seen. He did say he still might have to manipulate my knee if it does not improve. I guess time will tell.
Back to riding my NordicTrack.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith - It's pretty brutal what they do to your 'leg bones', so it takes your body a while to 'get over it'. I've got one knee scar much longer than the other knee scar, so I asked the doc 'Did you get cut happy on that one?' He just laughed and explained that sometimes it just takes a bigger incision to get all the damaged parts out. You had a bunch of hardware to remove besides the knee so I would expect your recovery would take longer. You'll get there cause you're determined. It was eight weeks for me before I was somewhat 'functional' and the swelling was gone. Your walking 'geometry' has changed radically I'm sure, so it will take a while for your body to sort it out. Because I limped for so long it was mentally ingrained in my brain. I had to relearn how to walk 'pretty' as the therapist told me. I said 'Honey, I've done a lot of things, but walking 'pretty' ain't one of them!' They had me stepping over Styrofoam cups to relearn my proper gait. The docs put the stuff in, the therapists make it work. ;-)

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I sat on my Tiger today to see how close I am to being able to ride it. I took it around the block last week twice. I had help here if I needed it. Well I am getting closer. Better than last week. I knew the ST is too heavy to even think about trying it. Plus I know my knee will not bend enough to try it. So there sits my DR650. So I sit on my flat Corbin seat and what do you know? Hey I can ride this one. Hey Judy, will you move your car? No your not! Yes I am! 40 miles later I was back at home. Sure was nice to get one step closer to back to normal! My knee is getting better, but the NordicTrac will be seeing most of the miles for now.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Keith, Keep up the good work! You'll be riding all over before you know it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Keith
Great to hear the progress is going well! My wife has me on vacation so I won't attempt taking the bikes for a test ride. I did set on the ST, still not able to get the bend on left knee to operate shifter correctly. Might have to suggest a Dual Clutch to my wife to correct the problem! Although I remember getting ready for a track day and explained that my leathers shrank while hanging in the closet and her response was to go on a diet!! I too am filling stronger and regaining the flexibility back in my knee. The rehab has me rethinking about being in overall better shape and provides a great outlook!

Phil
Thanks again for all the support!

Mark
I think you are correct on getting muscles in the best shape prior to surgery has helped with my overall progress, my therapist says she sees a better response to those that do the pre surgery therapy. The fear of not knowing how it would go made me hold off of getting it done. I am glad I waited but it is nice not have the aching pain when trying to sleep from a worn out knee!

I hope that this thread helps anyone thinking about the surgery won't hesitate. It is not a smooth road but if you keep positive and work through all the therapy it is a worth while outcome! It is also great to read all good results from everyone that has or is going through the knee replacement!

Thanks everyone!
Randy

Top Bottom