Laminar Lip out of business?

Can anyone confirm this? can no longer get on their website, seems to be they're not around anymore. I really wanted to get a laminar windshield. But guess I may have to try another route, which may be an MRA Vario. fed up with the turbulence and buffeting ruining my enjoyment. Not interested in clearview for the most part.

Bike
2006 ST1300
+1 on the "winglet" clip on units for on top of the windshield. I have an even cheaper one on my NC700X, and it performs well. I had a Laminar Lip copy ( I made it) on my ST, and the Winglets do just as well.

Bike
VStrom 650
If you're talking about an 11, I ran my Pan with the MRA Vario, it's a good design and works well but don't expect it to be perfect, in the world of helmet buffeting and noise nothing is.
The beauty of the MRA is in the adjustability and the ability to run it without the top in really warm weather.
On my present bike I run the Puig drill through adjustable lip. This is actually better than the Vario was on the Pan, I hardly get a bug on the visor and it's very quiet, although you do have to work on the adjusters to get it just right.
Drilling the screen was ok too.
Upt.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
These look cheesy and are cheap but I bought one to try it, works great on my GL, no helmet buffeting. I tried on my ST with a Vstream shield today, in the lower position I can see over the shield and air is fairly quiet and smooth going over the helmet.
.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L59965N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Cheesy or not, they actually work. I’ve used the Laminar lip in the past and although it does work, I had one blow off the windshield in the winter (denser air) when a large truck passed me going in the other direction- the Velcro stays are OK, but not perfect.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I've had several Laminar lips over the years going way back to when they started. The guys who started Laminar lip used to be ST1100 owners/riders, which is why they offered both a windshield and lip combo for the ST1100. I had the combo on my ST1100 when I owned it - worked very well. Maybe the business has gone the way of the ST1100.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Can anyone confirm this? can no longer get on their website, seems to be they're not around anymore...
Sure looks like they're gone...
So sad to see this,
I've had the Lip on my ST for over ten years - one of the best, if not the best, farkle I ever put on it.
Does anyone have any more info about what happened to them ?

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I’ve used the Laminar lip in the past and although it does work, I had one blow off the windshield in the winter (denser air) when a large truck passed me going in the other direction- the Velcro stays are OK, but not perfect.
When I installed mine, the lowermost velcro on one side didn't stick securely - it couldn't conform to the curve of the windshield.
So I drilled a small hole straight through the Lip, velcro and windshield and put a SS 4-40 screw through it with a lock nut.

Since it looks like the Lip is now unobtanium, I think I'm going to put in some more screws - so it can't blow off.

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
I emailed Laminar a few months ago about my Goldwing, and got a response. Probably 3-4 months ago.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
When I installed mine, the lowermost velcro on one side didn't stick securely - it couldn't conform to the curve of the windshield.
So I drilled a small hole straight through the Lip, velcro and windshield and put a SS 4-40 screw through it with a lock nut.

Since it looks like the Lip is now unobtanium, I think I'm going to put in some more screws - so it can't blow off.

Interesting!

When I bought mine many years ago, it was so warped out that that one side was practically impossible to Velcro down at all.

The Lip people didn't cooperate very much on that, saying they had never seen that, that the material they use did not warp, and it would be impossible for a warped one to pass their QC anyway. They looked at pictures and said the issue was most likely with my screen! I had also waited too long after the purchase to install it and they refused to exchange it.

So...I went ahead and ordered another one! Much better than the first one, but still not fully conforming on one side, like yours it seems.

After seeing the pictures of my two Lips stacked up and not matching, clearly showing one was badly warped, Lip finally caved in and reimbursed me for the first one.

There are now plenty of options available, and have since ordered the clamp on X-screen tour, that I think our very own Mellow dude spoke about once somewhere on here.

I also bought a Laminar lip although the fit for me was fine and velcro worked just fine without any problems on installation. The wind shook the OEM assembly bad enough that I took it off over concerns of damaging the mounts.
Wished I would have spent the money to get windshield instead.
This is in no way condemning Laminar, it worked as it was designed and I have no complaints about fit and finish, It just did not work for me. I rode on a 7000 mile trip with it part of the trip.
I have a electric windshield that made buffeting worse than a solid mount so it is more a application fail than anything else.
If they are gone that is too bad, the design is valid in my opinion, but did not work for me

OP
OP
the496rocket
I emailed Laminar a few months ago about my Goldwing, and got a response. Probably 3-4 months ago.
I believe they’re gone now. Can’t believe I missed it by that little bit. No phone reply, emails get sent back, and no website. Dang. I’ll have to cross my fingers to find a used one.

I also bought a Laminar lip although the fit for me was fine and velcro worked just fine without any problems on installation. The wind shook the OEM assembly bad enough that I took it off over concerns of damaging the mounts.
Wished I would have spent the money to get windshield instead.
This is in no way condemning Laminar, it worked as it was designed and I have no complaints about fit and finish, It just did not work for me. I rode on a 7000 mile trip with it part of the trip.
I have a electric windshield that made buffeting worse than a solid mount so it is more a application fail than anything else.
If they are gone that is too bad, the design is valid in my opinion, but did not work for me
how high was it and would you be interested in selling it?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I believe they’re gone now. Can’t believe I missed it by that little bit. No phone reply, emails get sent back, and no website. Dang. I’ll have to cross my fingers to find a used one.
For sure you will find one,, like I did. Advertise you want of a good used one may help the process,, but patience pays off. My ST13 experience with the LL has been unexpectedly positive. I had picked it up a year or two earlier,,, as part of a used parts bundle,,, and it sat in a parts basket until my 2012's e-screen mechanism got dicey. So I threw it on,,, and after adjusting it a couple of times for optimum position and performance. It really smooths out the airflow for less buffeting and noise. It's mounted on the oem screen which is left fully down most of the time,,, and raised up 1-2" on longer rides at speed. So I have used the raise/lower capability a lot less than prior. The repair kit from bike-quip is now in hand,,, and the task is planned for this winter. But I don't expect to retire the LL,,, and will likely add a couple of small bolts for safety and security's sake. Being able to easily remove the LL for bug cleaning is a must. Good luck and searching,,, CAt'

Placed high on windshield. About 1 inch above OEM, don't know what it is worth. Don't know about shipping cost but sure I could lose it with out crying. Used for 7000 mile trip and will need new velcro on windshield side. Never had any problem with coming loose. Still clear and has no damage

Sorry, should have said it was mounted on a Kawasaki 2015 Concours, I will hold it up to my ST windshield to see if curve is OK

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Regarding the Scotch tabs supplied by Laminar, what specifically are they called ? I'd like to get some to have on hand for the Lip -
I remember someone saying that Amazon has them, so I searched there, using "Scotch locks, etc.. No luck.
Thanks...

Top Bottom