Leaking Fork Seal Question

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
I posted this question yesterday in another thread, but it was an old thread, so I don't know that the question got many views. I apologize for the redundancy but I'm hope I can get an answer.

I just noticed that the right fork seal on my '05 is leaking. Its not a gusher yet, but there's a definite film of oil about an inch or two up the fork tube. Before I take it in to the shop, I'm going to try the 35mm film thing.

Here's my first dumb question: I've read that you need to pry up the dust seal in order to work the film down in there. By "dust seal," do they mean the plastic fork protector or the actual rubber dust seal? Secondly, if its the rubber dust seal, how do you get/pry it up without risking damage to the fork tube? It doesn't seem to budge by hand and I'm really reluctant to stick a screw driver in there.

I'm really hoping the film trick works because I don't trust my mechanical abilities to attemp replacing the seals on my own and all of the local shops are so busy that they are currently setting appointments at least two weeks out. One Honda dealer even quoted $400 to $430 for the work (which is about twice what another dealer quoted). Either way, its more than I want to spend if I don't absolutely have to.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I had to replace mine last year. The local Honda dealer wanted $265 for both seals!! WOW!! Went to my local private shop and he replaced them for $125!! Done and was in and out the next day. The dealer needed a week lead time to do the work!! Not happy with the Dealer.
I would look for a small motor sports shop that works on all kind of motorcycles and maybe you can keep the local guy happy by giving him the easy stuff that doesn't require a lot expertise to do the work!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Also I would opt for the OEM Honda seal kit. It's supposed to be better than after market ones? Anyone vouch for this?

IIRC the seal kit was about $50

yes you do have to remove the platic protection sleeve, I just use a screwdriver and tap around the bottom of it up and it slides up. then you will notice where the protetive boot is there is a little notch in the fork. put your screwdriver there and at an angle up, push on the rubber up and it pops out...Ive never damaged or scuffed a fork doing this.
I posted this question yesterday in another thread, but it was an old thread, so I don't know that the question got many views. I apologize for the redundancy but I'm hope I can get an answer.

I just noticed that the right fork seal on my '05 is leaking. Its not a gusher yet, but there's a definite film of oil about an inch or two up the fork tube. Before I take it in to the shop, I'm going to try the 35mm film thing.

Here's my first dumb question: I've read that you need to pry up the dust seal in order to work the film down in there. By "dust seal," do they mean the plastic fork protector or the actual rubber dust seal? Secondly, if its the rubber dust seal, how do you get/pry it up without risking damage to the fork tube? It doesn't seem to budge by hand and I'm really reluctant to stick a screw driver in there.

I'm really hoping the film trick works because I don't trust my mechanical abilities to attemp replacing the seals on my own and all of the local shops are so busy that they are currently setting appointments at least two weeks out. One Honda dealer even quoted $400 to $430 for the work (which is about twice what another dealer quoted). Either way, its more than I want to spend if I don't absolutely have to.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
my STealer is askin about $350 to do the pair on mine!!! I will be shopping around
Whats this 35mm film thing? Link? It doesn't sound like that good of a "fix"

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I just did the film 'fix'. Just worked it down between the seal (after moving the dust cover) and the fork tube, rotated it around a couple times, pumped the forks up and down a few times, and sure enough no more leaky forks! Pretty cool, may or may not be covering up a seal problem. Maybe it was just grit. So far so good, and stupid easy to do...

Bike
05 ST1300
OEM seals are the best to buy, Do not fall victim to the leak proof seals sale crap..
I hate doing seals and a little trick going back to my dirt bike days is to add about 30cc to 50 cc or good ATF seal swell in each fork..
I totally agree with the above sentiments. I've had leaking fork seals, and have added Lucas Transmission Fix (3 tblsp each fork) and the problem went away. What happens is the fork seal gets old/dry/stiff and loses it's sealing ability and the trans fluid additive softens the seals and gets them working again. www.LucasOil.com

Last edited:
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I just did the film 'fix'. Just worked it down between the seal (after moving the dust cover) and the fork tube, rotated it around a couple times, pumped the forks up and down a few times, and sure enough no more leaky forks! Pretty cool, may or may not be covering up a seal problem. Maybe it was just grit. So far so good, and stupid easy to do...
I just read about a product called the Seal Mate over on the List. It appears to work on the same principle as the 'film fix'. The Seal Mate is inexpensive and either that or the 'film fix' may be a solution to your problem. Certainly worth considering IMHO. There is also a video on the Seal Mate site that illustrates how it works.

Top Bottom