Leaking front fork oil

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Previously I posted that I thought I had a bad front wheel bearing. It turns out that I don't but I do have a front left fork leaking oil. I've read several posts about some fixes and have tried the 35mm film with what seems like little help. I have also ordered Sealmate which I haven't received yet. If you watch the video, they say you should slide the rubber seal out of the way to get down in between the fork and fork tube. Two questions:
1- How in the world do you slide the rubber dust seal up and out of the way?
2- How do you slide the black plastic fork pipe protector up and out of the way?

I can wiggle the protector about 1/8-1/4" back and forth but it will not slide up at all.

Just in case, here's the fiche from Ron Ayers. Numbers 18 & 26

Skip

Last edited:

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Skip
When my seal went bad I tried the 35 mm trick and it failed due to the seal was torn. I reasoned it was time for an upgrade to racetech internals and sonic springs. Inspect you seals the dust shield will slide up further to inspect the whole seal. The tear I believe is caused by excess play in the fork guides so I suggest you order them and replace them as well as your fork seals and fork oil. I found using the information on this site for swapping the internals made it less complicated. Look at the suspension forum and you should find the information needed. Seals can be found at your dealer or on line for a fair price. Good luck
Gary

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I responded to the other posting but you already know about the sealmate trick. ;)

Bike
st1300
i have just had my fork seals done at my local Honda dealership. New seals + new fork oil = brilliant precise handling.

Top Bottom