Leaky Valve Cover Gasket

Bike
03 ST1300A
Checked the valves on my ST with 18,000 miles and re-used the same valve cover gaskets with some gasket sealer. Went for a 20 mile ride and all looked good so I replaced all the plastic. Rode to work for a couple of days and noticed that the left bank was leaking oil around the front of the gasket.

Maybe I used to much or to little gasket sealer or I should have replaced the gasket. Anyway, how much sealer should be used and where should it be applied? I used a high temp gasket sealer - right or wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I didn't use any. It sealed right up. I've only done mine once though so maybe others that have done it multiple times will give you some better comments.

STOC #
Have not done mine yet but I agree with Mellow I would not use any sealer and won't when I check mine. Just lessons learned from past experiences with rubber type gaskets. YMMV Very interested in what others have done.

No sealant on mine either, but it's easy for the darn thing to get a little kinked if your not careful. Sounds like you have to take the plastic back off and pop the tank up to get a good look in there.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
Use Permatex Hylomar gasket dressing, not sealer or gasket goo, and use it sparingly only at the corners of the half moons as recommended in the shop manual.
This stuff stays soft and doesn't cause the rubber seal to permanantly adhere to the head the next time you remove the valve cover.

LeeMan, same thing happened to me. I did my inspection over the weekend and then my drive to work i have oil all over the place from the left side. I have to check the oil level, drive home tonight and reseal it. What a pain. This is my first time as well.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I use the gasket sealer or whatever it's called. I torque the valve covers to factory specs. I bring the engine up to temperature and let cool. Then repeat the process two more times. This may not pertain to a short term leak but I found it to work wonders for the long term seepage.

BTW, I go 32k miles between valve clearance checks so I do mean long term.

Ray

OP
OP
LeeMan
Bike
03 ST1300A
When my left bank leaked I ordered new gaskets but then tried to re-set the old ones again a little more carefully without adding any new sealent and they sealed properly. Then I received the new gaskets in the mail - future use. WARNING - DO NOT torque the bolts down with a warm engine or you will risk a greater chance of stripping the threads - don't ask me how I know this. A cold engine with the applicable torque specs work great!

Turns out that my left valve cover gasket had a tear in it closest to the gas tank. It almost looks like that part of it is hard and dried. Now I am waiting for delivery of the new one.

RCS

Turns out that my left valve cover gasket had a tear in it closest to the gas tank. It almost looks like that part of it is hard and dried. Now I am waiting for delivery of the new one.
I'm planning on doing my first valve clearance check in a few weeks. Do you suggest I purchase a few new gaskets (@$24 each) to have on hand just in case?

I'm thinking that sometime over the next 1-3 valve checks I may need the gaskets. Do you agree.

I'm planning on doing my first valve clearance check in a few weeks. Do you suggest I purchase a few new gaskets (@$24 each) to have on hand just in case?

I'm thinking that sometime over the next 1-3 valve checks I may need the gaskets. Do you agree.
At the very least, have on hand, unless you don't mind the bike sitting while you wait for one if one gets torn. I don't worry so much about it any more since I have two bikes.

Top Bottom