LED headlight

Bike
2007 ST1300
I bought the Auxito 20,000 lumen version. Fit was perfect. The headlight brightness is amazing now. Its a wider and longer beam. I can see much further down the road and light is absolutely white in color with no unusual blue tinting or anything. So far, so good. It comes with a 1-year warranty so if it blows in the next year, I'll get it replaced. Another rider here in my area has had these on his bike now for a while and he said the durability is good.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm not saying that any of these won't work, but my personal thoughts and opinions are to go with something @spiderman302 has suggested and there's more than a few of us real world using them. He is wayyy more knowledgeable and has real life experience in this area than most of us do combined. He's tried a variety of bulbs for comparison and worked with an actual bulb manufacturer to to have LED's that very closely mimic an incandescent bulb design. I for one appreciate that he's willing to share his expertise to help us all. If it was just me I'd have picked whatever the bulb manufacturer said fit (and that met my acceptable price range) and either thought it was better or not, based on how I thought it looked vs any actual tested results.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I bought the Auxito 20,000 lumen version. Fit was perfect. The headlight brightness is amazing now. Its a wider and longer beam. I can see much further down the road and light is absolutely white in color with no unusual blue tinting or anything. So far, so good. It comes with a 1-year warranty so if it blows in the next year, I'll get it replaced. Another rider here in my area has had these on his bike now for a while and he said the durability is good.
Hi, do you have before & after beamshots on garage door?
Can you measure current draw and see if they're really consuming 100w?
Thx

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Can you measure current draw and see if they're really consuming 100w?
None of these LED headlight bulbs are drawing anything close to 100W. Any high wattage ratings attributed to LED bulbs are "incandescent equivalent" ratings and those can be suspect too. I assume that many if not most wattage or lumen ratings in ads are exaggerated.

I just follow spiderman's recommendations and have been very happy. No guesswork needed on my part.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
None of these LED headlight bulbs are drawing anything close to 100W.
Their advertisement states- 100W 20000lm Per Set.
I agree with you that this seems very high for LED bulbs. I suspect that is why he is asking for the measurement to be taken.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Hi all!
I recently installed a set of OSRAM LED headlights and I have the following problem:
low beam works very well on both headlights.
the flash activates both headlights on the high beam, as is normal.
but if I switch the high beam from the button, only one headlight works.. what could be the reason..?

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
which one -- left or right-- is not working?

Trace the single blue line in above diagram.
if both low beams work then all the fuses are ok.
might just be a bad HI beam connector at the non working blub (since that is the only thing you moved).
clean and look for loose wires.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
which one -- left or right-- is not working?

Trace the single blue line in above diagram.
if both low beams work then all the fuses are ok.
might just be a bad HI beam connector at the non working blub (since that is the only thing you moved).
clean and look for loose wires.
but on the flash (PA) they light up, they both work.. only when I switch from the button to the high beam, right don't work..
and left work ok properly..

Last edited:

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
On the European bikes the flash to pass (PA) gets it's power from the White with Green wire that powers the horn. Fuse B non-ABS, Fuse C ABS. If you look at the wire diagram in the US shop manual the fuse is labeled Horn front, rear brake, passing even though the US bikes do not have the PA function. The actual continually on high beam uses the blue with white wire for power on both European and US bikes.

Article [13] - ST1300 - Headlight Circuit | ST1300 Articles | ST-Owners.com

Possibly an important distinction: When the PA is pressed all 4 filaments should be illuminated. When the hi beam switch is selected the 2 high filaments should be illuminated but criuc is only getting 1. It is posable that pressing PA is illuminating 3 filaments, 2 low and 1 high but that would be easy to miss.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I do not know how the European PA switch is added. (ok, now I do, thanks for the links)
The left bulb goes thru the relay and if it is working it is not the relay.
The right bulb is directly tied to the dimmer switch (blue wire)
so follow the blue wire from the right bulb back to the dimmer switch.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The problem might be the bulb.
Try swapping the bulbs and see if the problem follows the bulb.

The internal switching might not work with power applied to both hi and lo beams.

OP
OP
leonides
I haven't seen the inside of the ST headlight yet, but the Cougar looks like a good focusing bulb. I have one bike I thought the fan sticking out the back would be a fit issue so I went with fleabay 1689860686571.pngit is adequate lighting. Possibly not as bright as some of the fan LED bulbs but on that bike I'm running side shooter pods all the time and my main mission at night is to see the deer in the ditches before they step in front of me. Down the road vision is just fine with this one because I'm constantly reigning it in to 45-50, which is difficult so let's be realistic and say 50 ish. But not 70ish as during daylight.

I install those on my St. (
Miytsya 2 Pack H4 Super Bright LED Headlight Bulbs, Waterproof Dustproof Front Illumination Fog Light, Powerful Spotlight 2800lm 6000K Wireless LED Bulb, Suitable for Most Cars (Black)

I had to cut 2 of the plate pins and file a little of the diameter of the plate in order to make them fit.
After that, I took a 2300 miles trip, and they work very well.

Bike
St1300PA
Since I had to remove the dash to be sent to Bluegauges for conversion, I see the back of the headlight as easy to work with and replace de actual light bulbs for LED.
Any recommendations on a Plug and play LED brand and model?
As always thank you for your help.
P.B.
The blue gauge conversion what exactly is that?

Bike
2005 ST1300A
On the European bikes the flash to pass (PA) gets it's power from the White with Green wire that powers the horn. Fuse B non-ABS, Fuse C ABS. If you look at the wire diagram in the US shop manual the fuse is labeled Horn front, rear brake, passing even though the US bikes do not have the PA function. The actual continually on high beam uses the blue with white wire for power on both European and US bikes.

Article [13] - ST1300 - Headlight Circuit | ST1300 Articles | ST-Owners.com

Possibly an important distinction: When the PA is pressed all 4 filaments should be illuminated. When the hi beam switch is selected the 2 high filaments should be illuminated but criuc is only getting 1. It is posable that pressing PA is illuminating 3 filaments, 2 low and 1 high but that would be easy to miss.
..but why, it works normally with normal bulbs..? this situation appeared when installing the led set..

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
..but why, it works normally with normal bulbs..?
Did you put the old halogen bulbs back in to confirm this?
Which side is not working?

He is stating that when you push the flash button all four lights should illuminate- two low and two high. When you use the high beam button you should only have two lights illuminate- the two high beams. What he is suggesting is that the high is not working on one side. When the flash button is pushed only the low beam is illuminating on that side making you think that everything is normal.

First check to be sure that the high is actually working on that side with the pass button. Then switch the two plugs of the headlamps from side-to-side. Switch just the plugs, not the bulbs.

If the high is actually working with the pass button but now you have the same problem on the opposite side, check the high beam relay and wiring as stated by Spiderman.

If the same thing still happens on the same side as before, you have a defective LED bulb.

Top Bottom