Left Front Slider Caliper Pins - ST1300 ABS

Because of the continuous and heavy rain here in the UK, today I decided to replace my front tyre and brake pads.

During the process I decided to clean the calipers and pistons, and make sure they move ok. No issues here.

Looking at the schematic I felt the right caliper could be separated from its bracket to service the pins and boots. Although it took a lot of effort to separate them by hand I finally managed it. Boots and sliders bone dry (as was the bushing on the lower left fork). Boots need to be replaced.

I then proceeded to try to to separate the left caliper from the SMC bracket, but without success. Any ideas as I don't wish to damage the caliper levering the 2 parts.

I am aware of the following thread:-

However, I can't understand why it is necessary to remove the 3 caliper bolts first holding the 2 halves as it was not required on the right side.

Your advice please.

Paul

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Were you able to accomplish this without opening any hydraulic lines?
I was not able to move the two far enough apart to get them to clear the slider pins. I didn't try very hard because there seemed to be to much force being exerted on one of the brake hoses.

OP
OP
St1300biker
Were you able to accomplish this without opening any hydraulic lines?
I was not able to move the two far enough apart to get them to clear the slider pins. I didn't try very hard because there seemed to be to much force being exerted on one of the brake hoses.
Yes Andrew. I took all my strength and a socket extension bar between the bracket and the caliper. As I tried to ease the 2 parts apart I kept spraying the pins with silicone grease spray. As with the right hand side, the pins and boots had no grease.

Paul

OP
OP
St1300biker
Sorry- No. I'll try to remember next time.

I was only able to separate the caliper from the SMC bracket, not separate the caliper 2 halves.

Paul

Top Bottom