Left Front Slider Caliper Pins - ST1300 ABS

Because of the continuous and heavy rain here in the UK, today I decided to replace my front tyre and brake pads.

During the process I decided to clean the calipers and pistons, and make sure they move ok. No issues here.

Looking at the schematic I felt the right caliper could be separated from its bracket to service the pins and boots. Although it took a lot of effort to separate them by hand I finally managed it. Boots and sliders bone dry (as was the bushing on the lower left fork). Boots need to be replaced.

I then proceeded to try to to separate the left caliper from the SMC bracket, but without success. Any ideas as I don't wish to damage the caliper levering the 2 parts.

I am aware of the following thread:-

However, I can't understand why it is necessary to remove the 3 caliper bolts first holding the 2 halves as it was not required on the right side.

Your advice please.

Paul

Were you able to accomplish this without opening any hydraulic lines?
I was not able to move the two far enough apart to get them to clear the slider pins. I didn't try very hard because there seemed to be to much force being exerted on one of the brake hoses.

Were you able to accomplish this without opening any hydraulic lines?
I was not able to move the two far enough apart to get them to clear the slider pins. I didn't try very hard because there seemed to be to much force being exerted on one of the brake hoses.

Yes Andrew. I took all my strength and a socket extension bar between the bracket and the caliper. As I tried to ease the 2 parts apart I kept spraying the pins with silicone grease spray. As with the right hand side, the pins and boots had no grease.

Paul

Sorry- No. I'll try to remember next time.

I was only able to separate the caliper from the SMC bracket, not separate the caliper 2 halves.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom