Let's Go Over It Again - STARCOM

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
OK, I have narrowed it down and pretty much decided to get the Starcom Advance. They have a good deal on them at California Sport Touring Inc. So I'll be needing if for FRS, MP3, cellphone and intercom. What cables do I need to order with it? Where to install it on the bike. I think I'll be using the Powerlet for power. What is a good cheap FRS radio and the cable needed? I have a flip-front modular helmet. Any thoughts on the quality, etc.?

Last edited:

Bob Hughes

Grounhog One
I tried several disposable radios and ended up with a couple of Kenwood TK-3101 off of ebay for a good price (they are on there a lot).

The problem that I found with the cheap ones was that though the sound quality was great they had 2 problems. First they transmit a static burst on key off that goes right to the ear of the other riders. Second they did not switch from transmit to receive quickly enough so I was losing to much of the begining of the incoming message on VOX. With the Kenwoods life is good.

I have a Starcom 1 - and I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the Advance, but I'm pretty sure you'll need to decide on which FRS to buy before you can select the correct cable.
Al

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Fred
I have attached a pic of my Starcom advanced mounting using the toolkit strap under the seat. This area is perfect as it allows just enough room and accesibility.
Take the advice from the other guys, you need to decide on the radio first, the balance of the hookups are fairly simple. The Kenwood TK-3101 is a proven radio on this system, most other brands will work, but the cable may be a hassle. You should not need any special cables other than the Phone and radio, the rest can be standard audio cables you can find anywhere. If you plan on connecting a GPS you will need an isolated audio cable.

Attachments

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Fred
I have attached a pic of my Starcom advanced mounting using the toolkit strap under the seat. This area is perfect as it allows just enough room and accesibility.
Take the advice from the other guys, you need to decide on the radio first, the balance of the hookups are fairly simple. The Kenwood TK-3101 is a proven radio on this system, most other brands will work, but the cable may be a hassle. You should not need any special cables other than the Phone and radio, the rest can be standard audio cables you can find anywhere. If you plan on connecting a GPS you will need an isolated audio cable.
Thanks Dave. I did check out online the Kenwood TK-3101. Looks nice, but... expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative with DC power plug for my 12v Powerlet cig ligher converter? And if so which cable would I need for the cheaper alternative? Thanks!

I have also decided and bought a small tank bag (Tourmaster) that I will be installing a Powerlet tank bag plug into. That way I can just park at a motel say and unhook it from my Powerlet and carry it with all the audio/electronic gear in it into my room! Cool!

Fred,
I've used the Motorola T5720 (now discontinued). The websites indicates the newer model is the T6500. It does NOT have an auxiliary power input, but does use alkaline or rechargeable AA's. It comes with a pretty cool drop in charger if you're using rechargeable batteries - I pack the charger and charge it up at night.

Here's a website with description: http://www.commusa.com/catalog.aspx/Motorola_T6500

The only downside I've noticed is that distance is really influenced by the radio's location. For instance, if it's tucked into your tankbag, the distance is significantly reduced (sometimes less than 1 mile). I kept mine clipped outside my tankbag and it seemed to work OK.

The 6500 should use the Starcom Motorola CAB-04 cable - the same as my 5720.

Good luck,
Al

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Fred

I am using a Midland GMRS ($39 per set) that I keep mounted in my top box along with my phone and Ipod. Finding an inexpensive radio with an external power hookup is not going to be easy. After a lot of looking, I gave up and I bought a 6 volt adapter from Radio Shack and wired it directly to the battery terminals in the radio. It works great and on a long trip, I don't need to worry about no stinkin batteries.

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Thanks for all you help and suggestions guys. I ended buying up at Fry's the Motorola T7400; for about $40 for two. Uses 4 AA batteries and has weather with weather alert.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Ok....Fred..... I was totally convinced I was getting an autocom but now I am looking at the Advanced 1 and I really like the price and the features seem to all be there....

So you convinced me. :)

Question for you Starcom nutz:

1) Where is the best price?

2) I have a Zumo 550 and a Razor Cell phone.... I want the least amount of wires....Can I use the Starcom1 BT Module to pair and use both of these at the same time? (Can I pair my Razor to my Zumo and then my Zumo to the BT module to gain the advantage of CID on the zumo for incoming calls?)

Thanks,
<D>

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Wow! I am flattered and at the same time seemingly flustered! LOL.

Well Dan as for purchase I recommend this dude:

http://www.sportbikeeffects.com/

The owner's name is Jeff and he is a member of this forum and offers discounts to forum members. Tell him I sent ya and that you're a member of the forum and you'll get a great price!

Now, the fluster part, I don't know nuttin' about birthin' no bluetooth... Maybe some of the other guys here can help you with that. I put everything I have attached to the Starcom in my tankbag and IT IS A WIRE MESS!!!
Of course checking on Starcom1's website could answer your bluetooth and connection questions, as I am sure Jeff would too! Good luck and keep us updated. See ya at the next group event! Hope you make Techstoc at Turbocity on June 30th?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Ok....Fred..... I was totally convinced I was getting an autocom but now I am looking at the Advanced 1 and I really like the price and the features seem to all be there....

So you convinced me. :)

Question for you Starcom nutz:

1) Where is the best price?

2) I have a Zumo 550 and a Razor Cell phone.... I want the least amount of wires....Can I use the Starcom1 BT Module to pair and use both of these at the same time? (Can I pair my Razor to my Zumo and then my Zumo to the BT module to gain the advantage of CID on the zumo for incoming calls?)

Thanks,
<D>
There are at least two ways to do this, for the phone anyway.

You could buy the SC BT adapter and pair your phone directly to the comm unit. Meanwhile your Zumo is plugged into the audio or AUX jack and you can listen to directions and music from it. The Zumo 550 has BT capability though, so you could pair your phone with it instead of using the SC BT adapter. Not only would you avoid having to buy the BT adapter, the Zumo will provide a more glove friendly interface and caller ID for you. This is how I plan to set up my StarCom when I get my Zumo some day. (Come on Bonus!)

In these configurations you would still have the cable from the ST unit to your helmet. All the other wiring could be routed out of sight on the bike somewhere.

The Zumo can, I think, be paired directly with a BT equipped helmet and a phone at the same time, but as I understand it, for music at least, it's not a stereo connection. I don't think it would be possible to connect in a two-way radio, a radar detector and another audio source such as satellite radio without some kind of comm unit like the StarCom or autocom to interface it all.

What I'd really like to see is a comm unit that could simultaneously pair with your phone and your helmet headset, eliminating the helmet cable and having to fiddle with a phone cable every time you get on or off the bike. I wouldn't care if the RD, XM, FRS, GPS and other peripherals had to be hard wired to the comm unit as I would just tend to leave them mounted there most of the time anyway.

I think they are working on a BT2 format that will allow stereo connections but I thought I heard something about bandwidth limits on the music quality. A high quality wireless stereo connection to your helmet would be cool.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Thanks guys.

Just as you all said, I went with the hardwire to Zumo and BT from Razor to Zumo.

Should have the radios and the starcom by this weekend / early next week.

CHeers!

<D>

Top Bottom