Lifting the ST onto a work bench

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The grab handles on my 04 were cast aluminum. When did they change to plastic?

If you get/have the Harbor Freight lift, to save space, just lift it up on its side and store it against a wall in your garage. It takes up very little space at that point. I have been doing it this way for 10 years.
They have always been a plastic or a plastic coating. My bike was an 03 model. Yes they looked very much like a metal material.

The grab handles on my 04 were cast aluminum. When did they change to plastic?

If you get/have the Harbor Freight lift, to save space, just lift it up on its side and store it against a wall in your garage. It takes up very little space at that point. I have been doing it this way for 10 years.
Now i havent drilled into all of them however i have drilled into 13 st1300pas from 04 to 12 and fixing to drill into a 16. So far they have all been black plastic under some verry durable silver paint maybe even powder coating.

Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
:thumb:
I agree, a Table lift is the way to go. I have been using a Harbor Freight lift with outrigger boxes for over 17 years now for many of my various bikes. The ST1300 and my present FJR 1300. Never a problem. I am also limited on space in my garage so I park my bike on the lift. The HF Lift has sure saved my back many time over.

SAM_1021.JPGSAM_1695.JPGSAM_5930.JPGSAM_1281.JPG
This has to be one of the cleanest shops I've ever seen :thumb

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Now i havent drilled into all of them however i have drilled into 13 st1300pas from 04 to 12 and fixing to drill into a 16. So far they have all been black plastic under some verry durable silver paint maybe even powder coating.
Ok, I always thought they were cast. See, you do learn something every day!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Funny they would lift it from the grab handels as they are plastic. I would not have done that.
Is it only me, they take the time to remove the engine guard covers to access the bars but leave the saddlebags on for the lifting procedure? I get that the bags are not in the way but why would you risk it and they’re so easy to remove. I dunno…:rolleyes:

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
If they took 'em off, they'd end up in the pile of push pins, nuts, and all the other little bits and pieces that never make it back onto the bike :)

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I agree, a Table lift is the way to go. I have been using a Harbor Freight lift with outrigger boxes for over 17 years now for many of my various bikes. The ST1300 and my present FJR 1300. Never a problem. I am also limited on space in my garage so I park my bike on the lift. The HF Lift has sure saved my back many time over.

SAM_1021.JPGSAM_1695.JPGSAM_5930.JPGSAM_1281.JPG
Hi Chuck! Do you have the specs on the small side platforms that are on the sides of your HF Lift! They look like they make it a lot easier and safer to put the STeed on the lift.
Thanks Peterz

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Hi Chuck! Do you have the specs on the small side platforms that are on the sides of your HF Lift! They look like they make it a lot easier and safer to put the STeed on the lift.
Thanks Peterz
4 foot long x 7 inches high x 12 inches wide. You can make them as long as you want and as wide as you want. made from 2" x 8" x 8 foot pieces of lumber, topped with 3/8 inch plywood.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Do you have the specs on the small side platforms ....
I made mine by ripping 2x4's in half lengthwise and using those to make a frame the size I wanted (roughly what Chuck did, only mine are roughly 7' long). Then I sheathed the frame with flake board because it was so much cheaper than plywood. I put cross braces across the top and bottom (they resembled ladders before I sheathed them, and a couple of cross braces on the sides). I assembled them using long drywall screws - everything was sourced from Hopot.

Note if you make them only 4' long, you will find that your feet hit air half way up the ramp, or you will need someone to move them forward to complete the transition from grade to lift. Yes, I've driven my bike up the ramp, but I still do it too slowly for balance w/o outriggers. Since the HF lift is on wheels, I block it so it cannot roll when I tap the brakes once the bike is on the lift. I usually drive the bike onto the lift, work on it, then turn it 180º and install the lift on the front so I can ride it off. If you do this block under the front overhang so the lift does not tip that end down as you ride off (don't ask how I know).

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
4 foot long x 7 inches high x 12 inches wide. You can make them as long as you want and as wide as you want. made from 2" x 8" x 8 foot pieces of lumber, topped with 3/8 inch plywood.
I made mine with 3/4 plywood. 30" wide x 7.5' long x about 6.5" high. I brought the cutsheet to Home Depot and had them rip all the pieces out of 2 sheets of plywood. They are 7.5' long because a full 8' would not fit in my SUV.

I put foldable legs on each of the 2 platforms and they can used as 37" high standalone tables or the 2 tables can be connected to form a 60" wide table I use when doing projects. A solid table that is 5' wide x 7.5' long is nice to have when needed.

Top Bottom