Liquid temperature

Bike
ST1300
Hi all ,

today I was for 30 min in heavy traffic .. I heard the fans working ..but the temperature do not increase up to the 3rd bar . Is it normal ?

Thanks

Acqua St1300.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It would have to be a VERY hot day for the bars to get over 3 because the fans kick in and lower the temps... Once the bike warms up, it should always stay at 3 bars... if it's less, you may have a stuck thermostat and if it's more then you're in Death Valley or someplace with 115 degree temps... leave quick.. LOL

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The thermostat is supposed to open at 180F. To test it according to the manual, you have to remove it and heat it in a pot along with a thermometer. The functional test is whether the temperature gauge on the bike reaches three bars. All the failures I've heard of involve the thermostat failing in the open position. You'll only notice a failed thermostat in cold weather (below 50F or so.) The downside of running with a failed thermostat is a loss of fuel mileage, as the engine never reaches operating temperature. During warmer months, you won't notice a failed thermostat, as the ambient temperature will cause the engine to reach operating temperature.

Bike
ST1300
For what its worth, I was stuck in traffic last year in Knoxville with 113F on the "dash-ometer". While I was melting (and my wife on the back), the fans were running, but the bike never exceeded three bars. It was too hot to even breath, but the bike didn't heat. I was impressed!

Top Bottom