Lithium iron battery

Bike
ST1300
Re: Lithium ion battery

Hey Guys!

I saw many of you had actually purchased and use these new Lithium ion batteries. Any real world experience besides it is light in weight?
Some worried about the heat, explosion, how realistic that worry was? I have a bunch of extra equipment hooked up to the battery, such as
alarm system, GPS and other things...
My original Yuasa is right before death and I really need a new battery. I thought I buy another Yuasa YTZ14S, and get a Shorai for backup,
but I would not spend that much if it is not necessary. So may you advise what should I do?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Is this the battery they were discussing on Sidestand Up last night? I was half listening while working on my ST, and I thought the company rep said the batteries would need a custom charger... offered by the company, of course.

I could be wrong. Just sayin.

Edit: Yes, I was right about the show. This was the topic on the show. The start-up below 20F was interesting (~28:00 show time). At 29:40, they talk about the need for a specific battery tender, but that even if you only ride an hour a month, you won't need a tender with these batteries anyhow.

In the end, neither of these issues is all the prohibitive.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
$250 for a little over half the capacity of the oem :22yikes:
Carl I must not be reading it right?
I read 8 cell 240 CCA for $160 and 12 cell 360 CCA for $250.
I don't know much about batteries so help me understand how the 8 cell MOTY is 1/2 the capacity of OEM
Ironicly I have the same battery in the Honda ST, the Honda VFR, and the Triumph Sprint ST.

Bike
ST1300A 2006
Re: Lithium ion battery

Here's one: http://www.shoraipower.com/s-42208-GSF1250S-GSX1300R-GSXR1000-GSXR750.aspx

But the auto / motorcycle batteries are actually lithium IRON, not lithium ion. Lithium ion batteries have really picking charging requirements, and wouldn't do real well in a standard vehicle charging system.

LiFe batteries are an interesting technology, and the weight savings are real. But they're pretty expensive. And will knocking 5 lbs off the weight of an ST really make a difference?
It is if it means you can carry three more pies or another bottle of Scotch!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The 8 cell is listed for 240 pulsed discharge for 10 seconds (whatever that is) not 240 cca.
The oem is rated for 230CCA. If they use the "standard" SAE J537 test that's 30 seconds with the battery at 0?F.

So it would have to see a load of 230amps and maintain a voltage of 7.2volts or higher to pass.
The battery would pass it wouldn't give you a number. Some test at a different temperature and extrapolate what would happen at that temperature.

Being a different chemistry entirely, it's sort of apples and oranges. The 8 cell is rated at 140amps continuous discharge. (guessing it could see that load and discharge to some cut off voltage before it melted)

The other published value is Amp hours.
OEM is listed as 11.2 the 8cell Li is listed as 4.6

11.2aHr means you can draw 1.12amps for 10hrs until you have a completely discharged battery. Note; you couldn't discharge at a rate of 11.2 aHr for one hour there is a derating curve depending on the discharge rate. Std is 1/10 the aHr rating. I'd bet that curve is completely different for the Li.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The 8 cell is listed for 240 pulsed discharge for 10 seconds (whatever that is) not 240 cca.
The oem is rated for 230CCA. If they use the "standard" SAE J537 test that's 30 seconds with the battery at 0?F.

So it would have to see a load of 230amps and maintain a voltage of 7.2volts or higher to pass.
The battery would pass it wouldn't give you a number. Some test at a different temperature and extrapolate what would happen at that tempera

Being a different chemistry entirely, it's sort of apples and oranges. The 8 cell is rated at 140amps continuous discharge. (guessing it could see that load and discharge to some cut off voltage before it melted)

The other published value is Amp hours.
OEM is listed as 11.2 the 8cell Li is listed as 4.6

11.2aHr means you can draw 1.12amps for 10hrs until you have a completely discharged battery. Note; you couldn't discharge at a rate of 11.2 aHr for one hour there is a derating curve depending on the discharge rate. Std is 1/10 the aHr rating. I'd bet that curve is completely different for the Li.
Thanks Carl, the VFR guys are looking to relocate the tiny battery and utilize the entire battery compartment for storage. Looks to me of the batteries actually pan out one could stuff one in the tail of an ST1300 and really increase underseat storage.

I wont settle for a worse battery.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Thanks Carl, the VFR guys are looking to relocate the tiny battery and utilize the entire battery compartment for storage. Looks to me of the batteries actually pan out one could stuff one in the tail of an ST1300 and really increase underseat storage.
Now that's an advantage I hadn't considered.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Some folks use the extra space in the battery slot for a Fuzeblock...

Bike
st1300pa (work)
I hope that youall checked out my testing so far on the Shorai battery from this forum...titled SHORAI LITHIUM IRON BATTERY

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Saw that, and it sounds good. What we need is a test at the opposite end of the temperature spectrum. How will it work for those who routinely ride in near (or sub) freezing temps.

STOC #
Saw that, and it sounds good. What we need is a test at the opposite end of the temperature spectrum. How will it work for those who routinely ride in near (or sub) freezing temps.
Bob, I found some cold weather info in this thread, on the Ski-doo forum

My buddy tried on on his Apex, and lost a weekend of riding because the temp dipped to -25C.
One experience like that made him toss the stock one back in.
A side note, folks are having similar discussions as ours about Shorai and lithium iron batteries in a number of other power-sport forums.

Here's a load test from ADV Rider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15323076&postcount=1

Last edited:

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Bob, I found some cold weather info in this thread, on the Ski-doo forum

A side note, folks are having similar discussions as ours about Shorai and lithium iron batteries in a number of other power-sport forums.

Here's a load test from ADV Rider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15323076&postcount=1
I'd really encourage everyone to listen to the interview on Sidestand up.

The company rep. stated that in temps below 20F, you'd need to draw power off of the battery for a bit BEFORE starting the motor. Run the headlights or something to get the battery warmed up enough to start.

Wierd.

What I would like to see is one of these batteries built using the same form factor that we currently use. It would be nice to not have to worry about leaving your lights on for five minutes or longer and having your battery toasted when you get back...
I couldn't agree more, this is a real pain.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Be careful of underseat storage. IIRC the stock saddle has a metal pan, which makes for a potential short circuit situation.
Not a problem with the 1300 as the seat base is non-conductive. Might be metal on the 1100 though... George, where are you when we needs ya?

Here's an interesting "review" of the Shorai and another Li motorcycle battery. Some interesting information.
Bob, I don't see a link to anything???

Top Bottom