Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yeah, you SAY that.
But *I* am still pi$$Ed that @Shuey left at 0930, when I was barely halfway there!
(Please do note the ☺ here, or insert one if you don't see it. )
I was looking for you and . . . if I'd'a known you were coming, I'd'a baked a cake and brought it.

Been making some visits to UAB with another one coming up in early February. Maybe we can have a chat over a meal somewhere then. I'd really enjoy that if you're available.

Shuey

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Shuey - Not a friendship issue at all - good men can agree to disagree. ;)
The motel collected the money not Expedia as Expedia was fine with the refund and contacted the motel after I contacted the motel.
The motel originally told me it was an Expedia 'Issue' which is why I contacted Expedia.
So somebody is lying somewhere along the line.
The motel is the one that showed up on my credit card so they got the money.
And I did contact them directly on the day of so they could use the motel room (around lunch time).
They generally always have walkins on the week-end (seen plenty of that the many times I stayed there).
So it's not like they are out any money - maybe other than the Expedia fees.
It would have been a very nice gesture on their part to at least offer a partial refund if nothing else.
But they make their choices, I make mine and you make yours. ;)

Yeah, I would bet the farm they rented the room out after you called. They got your money and someone else's money.

And yes, I understand the point of a business is to make money.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Ouch............ Sorry for your get off and the resulting pain.

I have stopped using hotels.com, expedia, etc.... When we travel I've seen too many people at the check-in desk with 3rd party confirmations that the hotel knew nothing about. Guests ask the hotel "can you help me" and the hotel says...... "folks, you booked with a discount broker, we are full, we never got the booking, and you have to deal with (blank, insert name) yourself, it has nothing to do with us". So, we just booked directly with the hotel, never had an issue with this.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dang UP! Sorry to hear about your get-off. And like you said, it could have been worse!

Yeah, you SAY that.
But *I* am still pi$$Ed that @Shuey left at 0930, when I was barely halfway there!
(Please do note the ☺ here, or insert one if you don't see it. )
Yeah, Shuey got sick during WeSTOC, down in Arizona, this last Spring. So I missed getting a chance to meet up with him.
And when he goes to pick up Igofar's :slv13: , he'll be comforted on the ride back with the Sargent seat(s) from that 2005 I picked up last month. Enjoy! :thumb:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, I would bet the farm they rented the room out after you called. They got your money and someone else's money.

And yes, I understand the point of a business is to make money.
I was at the 45 room Log Cabin Friday night and there were maybe 3 cars parked Saturday morning plus the 5 motorcycles & a Can Am in our group.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I sure wish we could send them some of our cars and people. We have more than enough around here! (Orlando)

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
I'm sorry for your pain and the loss of Red Bird as a rider. Hopefully, you are back in riding shape by the time better weather arrives! On the bright side you have three road ready bikes waiting for you to exercise them .... and all ABS : )

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I'm sorry for your pain and the loss of Red Bird as a rider. Hopefully, you are back in riding shape by the time better weather arrives! On the bright side you have three road ready bikes waiting for you to exercise them .... and all ABS : )
Agree here. Sorry for the loss of the bike and more importantly that you‘ll heal, hopefully quickly. But you do have backups. I don’t want to lose any of mine either but if it happens, another is just waiting. Plus, I think it was the highest mileage one that was damaged, so the others have a lot more life left (unless it was the one with engine transplant, I don’t remember which one got that).

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Uncle Phil! How are you gonna stand to get hugged? It will be excruciating. That's what good drugs are for I guess. Sorry to hear about your unscheduled dismount. I bought Susan and I air-bag vests for my birthday and we wear them pretty religiously. After seeing all the carnage at OH-STOC I was convinced they were more than just a good idea.

Heal well and we will see you down the road a piece.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Hey Phil, haven't been around much lately but I just read about your get-off. Sorry to hear about it, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm going to start a thread on air vests as I am interested in who has them, how does the sizing go, if tethered, where did you put the anchor point, etc.
I know they are not a 'cure all' but every piece of safety gear that works is probably a good addition.

I know @amorley and @Tor Have them.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

I know @amorley and @Tor Have them.
Thanks - I've already viewed that one. ;)
I've done a lot of research since I now have a 'vested' interest in getting one! :biggrin:
I've started the thread hoping it will become a good resource for folks on the subject.

Information On Motorcycle Air Vests | Motorcycle Safety | ST-Owners.com

My problem with most videos on the subject (including those by the manufacturers) are they are biased one way or the other.
For instance in one which featured a stunt rider crashing, his foot pegs are higher than normal and he is up on the pegs just before he crashes (not a bad idea).
This gives him a totally different and much better trajectory than a 'normal' rider on a normal motorcycle.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Ouch............ Sorry for your get off and the resulting pain.
I have stopped using hotels.com, expedia, etc.... When we travel I've seen too many people at the check-in desk with 3rd party confirmations that the hotel knew nothing about. Guests ask the hotel "can you help me" and the hotel says...... "folks, you booked with a discount broker, we are full, we never got the booking, and you have to deal with (blank, insert name) yourself, it has nothing to do with us". So, we just booked directly with the hotel, never had an issue with this.
Just another heads-up.....
Watch out for the active field 'Guest Registration' if you book on line. My wife booked us a room for two days at the Hilton local to our reunion back in the spring. When we arrived, I noticed the registration was for just a single night and the hotel was fully booked the remainder of our stay. The clerk informed us we had booked through 'GuestRegistrations.com' which had inserted their 'hook' into the Hilton website. Even the receipt, which my wife had printed out just in case, was a perfect copy of the Hilton receipt format. Guest Reservations was happy to help with an additional night....there was a catch.....a 100% penalty for reservation changes, regardless of whose fault it was.

So, we stayed the first night with Hilton and the second at the Armpit Arms in the 'industrial' area of town.

Watch out for that one, apparently internet site hijacking is rampant in that industry. BTW, the Federal Trade Commission and Better Business Bureau are aware and seem completely unwilling to tackle this type of fraud.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Watch out for that one, apparently internet site hijacking is rampant in that industry.
This happens on car rental sites for purchasing insurance as well. I rented online from Avis and also purchased what I thought was Avis insurance at the same time while on the Avis site. It turned out that it was not insurance being offered by Avis. I only found that out when I was at the counter picking up the car and they asked me if I wanted to purchase insurance as well. I had to sign the waiver declining the insurance and accepting full responsibility because the insurance that I purchased had nothing to do with Avis. I was left feeling very uneasy and wondering who I had purchased in insurance from and if I was really insured. Buyer beware.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have stopped using hotels.com, expedia, etc....
Plus you tend to be put in the worst rooms the hotel has in regards to noise, view etc. Most of the large chains now claim that you get the best price when booking with them directly. Apparently the hotels pay the booking sites 20+%, the hotels aren’t happy about paying the commission but the alternative is no exposure on sites not run by the chain. I would imagine that a small Ma + Pa outfit has no power to negotiate so if they want to appear on the booking site they’ll pay through the nose.

Top Bottom