Long commute 172 miles.

Bike
03 ST1100
I just picked up a couple of ST1100's. Looking to make my commute a little more adventurous. They are not running as they where left alone last season. (Carb job specials). Anyone else have a long commute. I'll be out early enough to watch first light and the sun rise. The commute is 86 miles one way. So 172 round trip. With a gas station half way and another a 1/2 mile from home. I used to commute daily years ago in Denver. Even into December. Here in New Mexico I might be able to pull off year round riding. Any tips, tricks, thoughts?

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I used to commute year round in Seattle (maybe a handful of days where it wasn't a smart idea). Good tires and proper gear comes to mind - nothing worse than being cold or god forbid wet during a long commute! My coldest morning so far was 14 degF as I arrived at the office in Redmond! Yikes.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, I commute too, but only 25 miles one-way. Get the right gear, and if you'll be commuting in the cold, don't hesitate to spend a few $$ on electric gear, i.e. at least gloves and a jacket liner. Trust me, very few people regret getting heated gear. I'd recommend a TPMS as well, and maybe some aux lighting since you'll be riding in the dark some.

If you don't want to do the carbs yourself, I know a Honda V4 carb guy... Billy Carr. His website kinda sucks, but he's very well known, been around a long time and does really good work.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Just a couple thoughts. One, watch the weather forecast. You probably already do that.

Second, even with electric gear, bring enough clothes to act as a backup. I had a wire break to my left glove once in 25F weather. It was only 20 minutes to home, but it was extremely extremely painful.

Chris

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I commuted 125 miles a day in SoCal for many years off and on. The last 12 years were pretty solid, except for that day or three where it wasn't too smart to.

What kind of traffic are you going to be in. I'm hoping, not much. Cold weather and hot weather gear is a must. Electrics (upper liner and gloves) are great to keep you warm. In January, I rode from Cedar City Utah, to just south of Sacramento, CA and saw temps from 27F to maybe 42F, riding through Nevada desert (no freeways). Thank goodness for my electrics!

I'm with you. Having two bikes at the ready was always my thing too. There were several times where one wouldn't start or had a flat and I had to move everything over to the other.

Good luck!

Wow, I commute too, but only 25 miles one-way. Get the right gear, and if you'll be commuting in the cold, don't hesitate to spend a few $$ on electric gear, i.e. at least gloves and a jacket liner. Trust me, very few people regret getting heated gear. I'd recommend a TPMS as well, and maybe some aux lighting since you'll be riding in the dark some.

If you don't want to do the carbs yourself, I know a Honda V4 carb guy... Billy Carr. His website kinda sucks, but he's very well known, been around a long time and does really good work.
I purchased a rebuild kit from Billy years ago for my V65 Magna. Sometime ago he was looking to get into the ST1100 carbs, but I don't have a reason to inquire about those. He can be reached through v4hondabbs.com

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I purchased a rebuild kit from Billy years ago for my V65 Magna. Sometime ago he was looking to get into the ST1100 carbs, but I don't have a reason to inquire about those. He can be reached through v4hondabbs.com
He did my ST11 carbs a few years ago.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I commute year round in the Seattle area on a ST1300. Coldest so far was 16F. There isn't a waterproof glove out there that will last 10min at 60mph. I picked up a set of Barkbusters Blizzard handguards and now my hands stay dry. Heated grips, gloves and jacket liner. Layers.
I also use the peel and stick fog liner for my lid. I tried the pin lock but they don't work for me.
I run the Michelin PR4s front and rear year round because they are siped for rain.
I replaced the stock seat too. Once you get your bikes running I would definitely make sure you have a good saddle.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
My commute is half of yours. Go double darkside lest you be changing tires every few months. Run 26 psi in the back.
Change the headlight bulbs to LED's for the dark winter months lest an armadillo or Wiley coyote will take you out.
Sena linked to your phone for tunes or calls (speed dial). Ditto on heated gear, but mesh in the summer.
I also added a visor to the helmet (removed snaps and attach with Velcro tape) because I ride into the sun both ways.
My commute is the best part of my day cause I'm on the bike! Just take the time to enjoy it.

Visor1.jpg

OP
OP
NMkimble
Bike
03 ST1100
My commute is half of yours. Go double darkside lest you be changing tires every few months. Run 26 psi in the back.
Change the headlight bulbs to LED's for the dark winter months lest an armadillo or Wiley coyote will take you out.
Sena linked to your phone for tunes or calls (speed dial). Ditto on heated gear, but mesh in the summer.
I also added a visor to the helmet (removed snaps and attach with Velcro tape) because I ride into the sun both ways.
My commute is the best part of my day cause I'm on the bike! Just take the time to enjoy it.

Visor1.jpg
I too drive east in the morning and west in the evening. Good thought on the visor.

OP
OP
NMkimble
Bike
03 ST1100
I commuted 125 miles a day in SoCal for many years off and on. The last 12 years were pretty solid, except for that day or three where it wasn't too smart to.

What kind of traffic are you going to be in. I'm hoping, not much. Cold weather and hot weather gear is a must. Electrics (upper liner and gloves) are great to keep you warm. In January, I rode from Cedar City Utah, to just south of Sacramento, CA and saw temps from 27F to maybe 42F, riding through Nevada desert (no freeways). Thank goodness for my electrics!

I'm with you. Having two bikes at the ready was always my thing too. There were several times where one wouldn't start or had a flat and I had to move everything over to the other.

Good luck!
Very little traffic mostly rural vacant farmland. Local gas station carries 88 non ethanol!

OP
OP
NMkimble
Bike
03 ST1100
I commute year round in the Seattle area on a ST1300. Coldest so far was 16F. There isn't a waterproof glove out there that will last 10min at 60mph. I picked up a set of Barkbusters Blizzard handguards and now my hands stay dry. Heated grips, gloves and jacket liner. Layers.
I also use the peel and stick fog liner for my lid. I tried the pin lock but they don't work for me.
I run the Michelin PR4s front and rear year round because they are siped for rain.
I replaced the stock seat too. Once you get your bikes running I would definitely make sure you have a good saddle.
The 03 has a Corbin seat. I'll be seeing hot summer 100° and even this week has been 32° in the morning. This is really the lands of extremes.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Keep an extra pair of duds at work just in case of a soaker or worse. My round trip was ~70 miles everyday. I rode everyday I could... as long as there was no ice or snow on the road, I was riding!

I would watch weather every morning before I left, and everything would be great when I left the house. Then when I got into Lakewood and was sitting at a light off I-70 I would get hammered by hail and sleet. :rofl1: This happened several times over the years... even light snow! Stow gear!

Edited to add:

I rode round everyday in Houston, ~80 miles round trip... during the summer, it pretty much rained every afternoon on the way home, thunderstorms from the Gulf rolling in. When it rains like that in Houston, it floods! I kept pretty dry most part... but I had to watch for those :censored: 4x4 lifted compensating drivers who would drive thru water full speed causing waves to cover me... I would lose my vision for a second... gloves with a squeegee on the index finger comes in handy! :thumb:

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The 03 has a Corbin seat. I'll be seeing hot summer 100° and even this week has been 32° in the morning. This is really the lands of extremes.
Old white towel to cover the seat when your not riding, unless it's in a garage. Nothing worse than toasting the buns when you get on that hot leather.

OP
OP
NMkimble
Bike
03 ST1100
I'll get some pictures after I get them back together and the dust quites blowing.

Top Bottom