Long Distance Riding Resources/Partner

Can anyone offer websites or other forum locations to connect with others for long distance riding. I found Iron Butt and Long Distance Riders.net. Really looking for a distance riding partner in Rapid City, SD or thereabouts. Would consider partnering up with someone during the Sturgis Rally for a long ride although that might be the worst possible week to be on the roads in the hills. Thanks!

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
There are a bunch of long distance riders on this forum.

Why don't you outline your plans for your ride. If it looks interesting, you might be surprised at who might want to join you.

OP
OP
There are a bunch of long distance riders on this forum.

Why don't you outline your plans for your ride. If it looks interesting, you might be surprised at who might want to join you.
Plans are very flexible - that's why no details. Open to suggestions of over 1000 miles.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Plans are very flexible - that's why no details. Open to suggestions of over 1000 miles.
My experience is plans may be flexible, but people who say they are usually aren't. The older I get the more I enjoy travelling alone. ;)

Do you enjoy primitive tent camping - I do, most don't; do you enjoy eating regular meals - I don't, most do (one meal a day is enough, Subway is high cuisine, snacking works for me); do you require daily showers or can you travel like a field Marine - I can, most can't.

Attend a SToc event or two, meet some long distance travelers, see if you can stand them for more than a day. :rofl1:

Nashcat and I have post MnStoc travel plans that include 5,000 miles camping travel through the Black Hills; another small group is doing almost the same route but motel-ing. The thing is everyone KNOWS each other. :cool:

Tom

1627222887128.png

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Sorry, didn't mean my post as a short circuit of your quest to find someone to ride with, just meant it as an invite to attend a SToc event to meet some of this site's riders.

Tom

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
@txtriathlete I second Tom’s idea about riding to an event, if there’s one within your riding range. Most events offer a choice of tent or motel. Don’t worry about being a stranger. We’re all a little bit strange.

This will be the first time that Tom and I have traveled together, although we’ve known each other for almost 10 years. If we don’t get along, during the trip, we’re good with continuing solo. Sometimes, you don’t know someone until you’ve been on the road with them a while, so always have alternate plans if there’s a “breakup” along the way.

We‘ll be passing through your area on the 15th, during the 650 mile day To Deadwood.

John

TPadden

Tom Padden
We‘ll be passing through your area on the 15th, during the 650 mile day To Deadwood.
I'm thinking first day will only be about 330 miles to Mitchell SD (Just west of Sioux Falls) Sunday...
Lake Mitchell Campground | Mitchell, SD (cityofmitchell.org)
then on to Roubaix Lake, Deadwood) on Monday (another shortday) ...
Roubaix Lake, Black Hills National Forest - Recreation.gov

Not a problem if we feel like continuing on from Mitchell, or camping in Spearfish ... Semper Gumby :thumb:

Tom

It must be the difference between the Marine Corps and the Air Force, I like a nice air conditioned/heated room with a bathroom every night, unless of course I am in a hurry in which case I can sleep in the dirt or on the asphalt or on the bench of a picnic table, but not by choice. My only other comment is that you have a great trip planned, except for the return through Nebraska which is a helmet law state. I know we like to take different roads and you already used Kansas on the way out.

And: I do not belong to other forums but this forum is great because of the people who participate and I thank all of you. I am located in Thousand Oaks, California and operate a temporary refuge for just about all passing motorcyclists with beds, laundry, tools. I am short of garage space for parking but can make room on the lift for repairs.

Leonard Aron
Too many motorcycles to list

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
@txtriathlete
This will be the first time that Tom and I have traveled together, although we’ve known each other for almost 10 years. If we don’t get along, during the trip, we’re good with continuing solo. ....
John, remember there are now two Tom's, who might appear on one of at least three different bikes, each of which can be an influence...

... Good luck!

I enjoyed riding with Tom on his Tiger in Alaska.

OP
OP
My experience is plans may be flexible, but people who say they are usually aren't. The older I get the more I enjoy travelling alone. ;)

Do you enjoy primitive tent camping - I do, most don't; do you enjoy eating regular meals - I don't, most do (one meal a day is enough, Subway is high cuisine, snacking works for me); do you require daily showers or can you travel like a field Marine - I can, most can't.

Attend a SToc event or two, meet some long distance travelers, see if you can stand them for more than a day. :rofl1:

Nashcat and I have post MnStoc travel plans that include 5,000 miles camping travel through the Black Hills; another small group is doing almost the same route but motel-ing. The thing is everyone KNOWS each other. :cool:

Tom
Sent a message on the MnSToc thread to confirm its ok to attend. If that works out, then I'll probably do my 1000 miles on my way there (head to MN by way of Montana from SD!) and blast straight back to Rapid City on interstate 90 after.

Regarding other parts of the convo - I think it may not be as important how someone sleeps or eats, as much as how they ride - slow or fast on the freeway, backroads vs. interstate, timing of stops, long day definition (350 vs 1000 miles) and so on.

Even in this regard I'm very flexible. If we get to meet in MN, you'll see I'm pretty laid back. I don't have an agenda, other than going 1000 miles in 24 hours (this time) and not getting stranded in rural ND or MT without cell service. Thus the call for a riding partner...

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Sent a message on the MnSToc thread to confirm its ok to attend. If that works out, then I'll probably do my 1000 miles on my way there (head to MN by way of Montana from SD!) and blast straight back to Rapid City on interstate 90 after.

Regarding other parts of the convo - I think it may not be as important how someone sleeps or eats, as much as how they ride - slow or fast on the freeway, backroads vs. interstate, timing of stops, long day definition (350 vs 1000 miles) and so on.

Even in this regard I'm very flexible. If we get to meet in MN, you'll see I'm pretty laid back. I don't have an agenda, other than going 1000 miles in 24 hours (this time) and not getting stranded in rural ND or MT without cell service. Thus the call for a riding partner...

RTE's and SToc events are the way to go IMO. You get to ride your own ride there and back and shoot the BS in between. I plan to attend many more after next March when I no longer have a schedule.

PS, looks like Chicago is about midway between us, meet for pizza sometime?

Top Bottom