Long distance training

I personally don't see the attraction of endurance riding 1,000 miles in a day, but to each his own.

I have a RDL saddle, which is indispensable for long rides, use an IPOD streaming through my Scala, I wear earplugs and have a hydration bag of water when it's hot and heated gear for when it's cold. So I'm comfortable and properly hydrated for routine 8 - 10 hours on the road including stops, maybe 350 - 400 miles.

There is a world of difference between riding slab at 70 - 75 mph vs. back roads. On the slab 1,000 miles is going to take you about 14 hours + a few stops , maybe 16 hours in total, so you start at 7 AM and finish at 11 PM. For me, why bother with this type of ride, just take your car instead or take 2 days and do back roads. My longest day, a mix of back roads and slab has been about 12 hours and 600 miles and last 2 hours were not pleasant..

So would doing ever increasing days be a good idea. Do a few 200 mile days, then some 300 and so on.... I'd guess you will learn a lot about what needs to be changed and how you operate doing plenty of those kind of days. Oh I was hoping/planning to do an SS1000 this coming season as well.
My advice would be the opposite. The first time I decided to see how far I could go I jumped from a previous long day of 250-300 up to 650. If you want to know what it's like to go a long way, well, you have to go a long way. You won't know where the uncomfortable parts of your bike are until you sit on it for a long stretch. If your long ride includes major metro areas time them so you are not there in high traffic times. Wait, you intentionally want to ride detroit and chicago? Why not a nice lap around Wisconsin?

On a serious note, the key for me has always been Ibuprofen if needed and earplugs for the really long rides. I can't explain why earplugs help so much but they really do.

Wind and noise fatigue the body. The same person will go farther on a fully faired bike wearing ear protection than on an open air bike. And let me tell you about 8 hours in a crosswind ....

Wind and noise fatigue the body. The same person will go farther on a fully faired bike wearing ear protection than on an open air bike. And let me tell you about 8 hours in a crosswind ....
ANY constant noise for long periods is fatiguing. Wearing ear plugs on a long commercial airplane flight will make a big difference in how you feel when you arrive at your destination. Bose and others have made money selling noise cancelling earbuds/headphones. Music, in contrast, at moderate volume leveles, is not so tiring.

My advice would be the opposite. The first time I decided to see how far I could go I jumped from a previous long day of 250-300 up to 650. If you want to know what it's like to go a long way, well, you have to go a long way. You won't know where the uncomfortable parts of your bike are until you sit on it for a long stretch. If your long ride includes major metro areas time them so you are not there in high traffic times. Wait, you intentionally want to ride detroit and chicago? Why not a nice lap around Wisconsin?

I have friends that live in those cities. I did map out a SS1000 that was almost a 4 corners of Minnesota, but I just never got to doing it last season.

Ear plugs are a non-negotiable for me. I'm so used to them for street or track time. Even when I coach level on people and we are putting along it feels weird without them hehe.

I've definitely had track days where I was not drinking nearly enough water and do not want any of that on a long ride that is for sure. I've been looking at hydration back packs or tank bags. Though it seem the tank bag ones don't have any space for storage. I was under the impression that store tools and stuff would be better up front... Or maybe that is kinda a personal preference thing...

I did a 1,000 mi trip recently split over two days. It was a piece of cake. I was mentally prepared - I thought it was going to be hard, but it really wasn't. I stopped for a few minutes every 1.5 hours just to stretch and hydrate (I found that frozen Gatorade is great to pack - stayed cool for the entire day). 500 mi (mainly freeways) took me 8h. I typically average 60 mph including stops when I ride freeways. I would not be afraid to do 600 miles in a day, or maybe even 700...

My trip from Springfield MO to Santa Fe NM (two days each way) was filled with horrific crosswinds through Texas and Oklahoma. Cumulatively it was worse than the rain and hail I encountered in the Texas panhandle on the way west. From my experience, Texas hates me lol. Pay attention to weather reports and more importantly respect how much that will affect your ride.

I recall listening to Ron Ayers at an HSTA event. He was/is the record holder for 49 states in 7 days. He had cut out all caffeine for 30 days prior to his departure.

I have several IBA rides under my belt and the two biggest/best rides were the BunBurner Gold which is 1500 mi in 24 hrs and the CC50 which is coast to coast in <50 hrs which I think I did in 43 hrs. I certainly had to work up to those but in the beginning my training was roughly 400 mile backroad days which was roughly 10-12 hours. Once that isn't a problem it's quite easy to get on the interstate and bang out 500-600 miles and then start pushing for an extra 100 miles each time out.
Tank bag snacks are must for me as well as a gallon jug of water on the passenger foot peg. My snacks are typically any or all of the following. Fig bars, granola bars, wasabi almonds, apples 7 cheese crackers. Depending on the length of the trip I usually have the whole box of items in my top box and just move one or two items to my tank bag at each gas stop. I definitely use earplugs and also music but sometimes I'll turn off the music for a change of pace. Good comfortable riding gear is a must including your gloves. I also have heated gear that I put on at 50 degrees. Heated gear is in my opinion one of the best investments you can make if you're going to ride unless of course you're a "fair weather" only rider which many here are not.
I do not have a cruise control but have used several throttle locks and they work ok. The biggest help to me has been using a wrist rest and having a good seat. RDL is the way to go and many other will agree.
Many folks don't see the point or enjoyment of slabbing it 1000+ miles but for those that are still working sometimes you just need to get there and back quickly so that you can enjoy a few days riding wherever you're going. Once I retire and hopefully still riding I'd love to be able to take 3-4 days to get anywhere significant.

Good luck and happy training!

Skip

Every day is different. There were times I could put 900 miles in an feel great most of the way and there were times 400 miles seemed like a chore. If you are fighting strong winds or bad weather most of the day it's not very enjoyable and you probably will feel beat up. I have a planned route but always have somewhat of a backup plan of places to stay(camp) just in case. :headbang:

I have several IBA rides under my belt and the two biggest/best rides were the BunBurner Gold which is 1500 mi in 24 hrs and the CC50 which is coast to coast in <50 hrs which I think I did in 43 hrs. I certainly had to work up to those but in the beginning my training was roughly 400 mile backroad days which was roughly 10-12 hours. Once that isn't a problem it's quite easy to get on the interstate and bang out 500-600 miles and then start pushing for an extra 100 miles each time out.
Tank bag snacks are must for me as well as a gallon jug of water on the passenger foot peg. My snacks are typically any or all of the following. Fig bars, granola bars, wasabi almonds, apples 7 cheese crackers. Depending on the length of the trip I usually have the whole box of items in my top box and just move one or two items to my tank bag at each gas stop. I definitely use earplugs and also music but sometimes I'll turn off the music for a change of pace. Good comfortable riding gear is a must including your gloves. I also have heated gear that I put on at 50 degrees. Heated gear is in my opinion one of the best investments you can make if you're going to ride unless of course you're a "fair weather" only rider which many here are not.
I do not have a cruise control but have used several throttle locks and they work ok. The biggest help to me has been using a wrist rest and having a good seat. RDL is the way to go and many other will agree.
Many folks don't see the point or enjoyment of slabbing it 1000+ miles but for those that are still working sometimes you just need to get there and back quickly so that you can enjoy a few days riding wherever you're going. Once I retire and hopefully still riding I'd love to be able to take 3-4 days to get anywhere significant.

Good luck and happy training!

Skip

You're my hero hahaha. Did you do all your big buy rides on the ST? DO you use a Modular helmet? I've been back and forth on if I want one or not. When I try them on they "feel" weird. The construction of the front is different than a static bucket. I'm sure I would adjust to it. I just wonder if the benefits are really there.

I just wonder if the benefits are really there.

Yep... depending on what you find advantageous. I love my modular (Nolan 104). Stop for gas it's easy to just raise the face for that more open feeling. I sometimes take along a bottle of soda/gatorade in the tank bag, easy to duck behind the windscreen, flip open the helmet and take a drink while non-stop cruising the road (recomended only on straight sections). If you work on a asylum where you have to show identity, flip the top and say Hi to the guards. Stopping for some pictures and using a DSLR, no problem. Little more weight then full face and a little more noise, but the advantages are worth it (to some).

Yeah for distance riding the ease of being able to talk to people and stuff your face would be nice.....

I'd like to do some long distance riding this coming season, but I haven't really done much of it in the past. I have done some long days but not like SS1000 type days. I've done a three state twisty roads day and that was fine but quite easy to stay engaged during the ride.

I've done a ride from Minneapolis to Chicago and then back a few days later with relative ease. I'm wondering how you guys built up endurance to do long days rider? I want to ride to visit a friend in Detroit (again from Minneapolis MN) one day. I also have scheduled in a few years to ride to Colorado to visit another person and would like to ride to Phoenix AZ to visit my folks. I don't have an ST yet but I've started a fund. So in the mean time I will be using my Street Triple R. I'm sure it will break me in right and really make me appreciate an ST when the time comes.
Minneapolis to Detroit should be a breeze. Try to be in the chicago area around 10 am to avoid the rush hour traffic during week days. Take the bypass around the city. 90 to 290 to 294 and then back on 94 to Detroit. Weekends should not be a problem.

Minneapolis to Detroit should be a breeze. Try to be in the chicago area around 10 am to avoid the rush hour traffic during week days. Take the bypass around the city. 90 to 290 to 294 and then back on 94 to Detroit. Weekends should not be a problem.

For me, a 700 mile ride would not be a breeze. Not even in a car.

Amusing thread... want to see the long distance training involved for the finest group of highly trained, finely honed physical specimen, Olympic hero champion long distance athletes; stop in at your local Loves or Pilot truck stop. Fat old men and women can do it without visiting their local gym. Start out in very short distances, plenty of hydrating with black coffee, force down a couple honey buns for nutrition, ibuprofen for endurance enhancement, and plant your butt in a seat. :rofl1:

Tom

Back
Top Bottom