Look what follwed me home

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I have been waiting to post this for about a month. I sold my ST yesterday and now I thought it is time to post this. I bought a 2013 BMW GS 1200 last month. I am still trying to get used to it. The ST was getting too heavy as I age, but it will be missed a great deal. The GS is much lighter, has cruise control, handles much easier, and is surprisingly fast. The fly by wire throttle is really sensitive. The wind protection is lacking, but a bigger windscreen will help there. I hope to find some dirt roads around home to practice on. I haven't ridden on dirt in 35 years. The bells and whistles on the GS are amazing. I am playing with throttle and suspension options to see which setting works best for me in any particular situation. I put BMW vario cases on it and Altrider engine guards. Now that I have sold the ST I can put some light fore and aft and order a bigger windscreen.

Attachments

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Very nice. I have been wanting to test ride one of those, even though I can't afford one. Be careful in the dirt. Although it's lighter than the ST it is still awful heavy for a dirt bike. Even though it has some off road abilities it isn't a dirt bike. Especially without knobbies. Even the 800 is heavy for dirt.

Enjoy

I understand those are pretty fast.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Nice!

I just rode one of those from Las Vegas to Dallas. Two things I learned:

1. It needs a plug up at the instrument cluster.... So farkle away! There are some great kits that mount on the tubing up there .....
2. You need to kick your leg up like a chorus girl to get over that seat if your preloads have the back end up in the air. Good exercise for me! Lol

Enjoy that ride - I sure did .....

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats Dave! I hope to see you this fall on it. Please be careful off road. We are not as young as we use to be. I bought a DR650 back in January. My first trip in the sand had me wondering what did I di this for. But it sure is a fun little bike.
And just because you don't ride a Honda anymore, I still expect to see you here. :well1:Tell Al hello for me.

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
That thing will eat the miles. Hope you have many trouble free miles and smiles. I guess you and Al are twinkies now. Looking forward to seeing you both in September.
Mike

OP
OP
suprdav

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Yes we are all three planning to be at Arkanstoc in the fall. Al on his 2010 GS, Debbie on the Spyder and I on my GS. They may be at a campground in the toyhauler, but I will be riding up. Al's bike is the one I looked at in Nov of last year. The owner had just purchased the '13 that I now have. He was trying to sell it and had no luck, so he traded the '10 on an Indian Chief at Hattiesburg Cycles. Al was having some service work done on the Spyder and mentioned to the sales weasel that he wanted to get back on 2 wheels. The weasel asked what he had in mind and he said a BMW GS. The weasel rolled the '10 out and said look what we just traded in. Debbie and the weasel went round and round over price and she bought it then and there. H'burg Cycles did an oil change and the next week we went to H'burg to pick it up and who was there but the previous owner of the '10. I asked him why he traded and he said that he wanted to get back on V-twin cruiser. I then asked him what did he do with the '13 GS and he said he was going to sell it. I stated my interest in it and he said he would work up a price. He did and I bought it. See y'all in Sept.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
The ST was getting too heavy as I age, but it will be missed a great deal.
Congrats on your new ride. I picked up a 2011 R1200 GS about a year ago. I got a GS for some of the same reasons you did. I could still sling the ST around but at my age it would make me know it if I rode it all day. The more I have ridden the GS the more I like it. It is a blast to ride. I went to the Arkansas Ozarks for a couple of days last week and I cant even begin to describe how much more fun leanin' is on the GS. The GS just eats up curves. As for wind protection, I have an aftermarket screen which is an improvement. When riding the GS the only times I have really been aware of not having the same kind of wind protection the ST provides is when the temps have been cooler. The coldest temps I have ridden in on the GS were in the 40's. It has been an adjustment but it has been OK. I havent ridden a GSW but from what I have read the guys that have ridden previous versions of the GS say the GSW is the best handling GS yet. Im sure you will have a blast.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Hope the new bike works out for you your right the ST is heavy really enjoying mine. I grew up on dirt there is a lot of difference between dirt and pavement.

Top Bottom