Looking for Air Box Socket Head air box screws

Bike
2010 st1300
Does anyone know where to buy socket head air box screws? Motorcycle gear does not carry them anymore?

Norm reccomends dipping the tip of the screwdriver into valve lapping compound to help grip the head on questionable screws.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Norm reccomends dipping the tip of the screwdriver into valve lapping compound to help grip the head on questionable screws.
Why not just order the factory screws, and then use the correct tool for the job. (JIS screwdrivers)
Available at McMaster Carr.
I've removed several air box base screws with these JIS screwdrivers, and have never damaged a single screw in doing so.
Ya gotta have the right tool for the job.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Why not just order the factory screws, and then use the correct tool for the job. (JIS screwdrivers)
Available at McMaster Carr.
I've removed several air box base screws with these JIS screwdrivers, and have never damaged a single screw in doing so.
Ya gotta have the right tool for the job.
Thanks. Did not know they were JIS. Do you happen to know the size for the JIS screw driver?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
McMaster Carr sells a set of three JIS screwdrivers at a very reasonable price. Very good quality tools made in Japan - You would not believe how much better real JIS screwdrivers fit the Honda fasteners compared to regular screwdrivers, makes it almost impossible to strip out a screw head.

Dan

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Touch the very tip of a standard #2 Phillips to a grinding wheel to knock the point off, it'll fit a JIS screw a lot better. And I mean just the very tip. Easy to remove more but real hard to add any back. :D

I removed some really stuck screws on a set of carbs the other day without ruining any.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The McMaster-Carr p/n and cost for the 3pc set is: 53325A61 $28.92

I need to get a set or two!

EDIT: If you want to replace the JIS screws with socket head screws, you can order them from a jobber, like Grainger. I don't know the length, but looked up that these are M5. HERE'S Grainger's M5 Socket head search page: LINKY

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
:plus1::run1:
McMaster Carr sells a set of three JIS screwdrivers at a very reasonable price. Very good quality tools made in Japan - You would not believe how much better real JIS screwdrivers fit the Honda fasteners compared to regular screwdrivers, makes it almost impossible to strip out a screw head.

Dan

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Touch the very tip of a standard #2 Phillips to a grinding wheel to knock the point off, it'll fit a JIS screw a lot better. And I mean just the very tip. Easy to remove more but real hard to add any back. :D

I removed some really stuck screws on a set of carbs the other day without ruining any.
The JIS screws and screwdrivers also have a sharper edge where each leg of the cross of the phillips meet in the center. This prevents the screwdriver tip from walking out of the screw head when twisting the screwdriver.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 st1300
Wow some great information here, thanks everyone. I have worked with tools for many years and I agree the right tool makes a big difference. But I also am always looking for a easier way that's hopefully just as good or better. That's the main reason I'm looking for something I can use an allen wrench on. I just see it as easier, for me at least, and just as good.

Top Bottom