Looking for an iPhone mount - opinions, please

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm looking for a mount with a few specifics for my iPhone SE, 2ng gen.; same size as an iPhone 6, and in a case.

1. I would like it to have easy, reliable one-hand operation, and not need a 4-way rubber band to keep it secure.

2. I would like it to have a built-in wireless charger, so I don't have to plug and unplug a cord every time I use it.

3. I don't have to use it, but I have a Ram-type mount, like this one, but only the post with the ball and a U-bolt:

1705612190598.jpeg

As always, thank you for your time.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've decided to not run my phone - even the old ones I still have - on the handlebars, on any bike.
That said, I am reading a LOT about the QuadLock for iPhones (Androids too), and they appear to be the choice now over the RAM X-mount I used to use.
These days I only use a tank bag for holding my phone, so I have not been keeping up with the state of the art. ADVrider has a lot of discussions about phone mounting, too.
Good luck.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I have used my old iphone 6s Plus for years with no problems. Still do, it’s in a waterproof case. On a ram mount phone holder.

This holder.

I use this case.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
That said, I am reading a LOT about the QuadLock for iPhones (Androids too), and they appear to be the choice now over the RAM X-mount I used to use.
I believe the reason for the new quad locks and anti-vibration mounts are some of the new iPhones. The camera lenses in them are susceptible to the vibration which renders them non-functional and needing to be replaced. Can you say $$$?

Larry's old SE should have no issues.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm looking for a mount with a few specifics for my iPhone SE, 2ng gen.; same size as an iPhone 6, and in a case.

1. I would like it to have easy, reliable one-hand operation, and not need a 4-way rubber band to keep it secure.

2. I would like it to have a built-in wireless charger, so I don't have to plug and unplug a cord every time I use it.

3. I don't have to use it, but I have a Ram-type mount, like this one, but only the post with the ball and a U-bolt:

1705612190598.jpeg

This, as mentioned above fits all your requirements, the one hand takes practice…
IMG_6324.jpeg

I put a lot of hard miles on this one and the failure was my poor choice of connection. The charger works great and phone has no issues. Downside is specific phone case.
Im getting a hard wired version next week, let me know if you want to try this, I’ll mail it to you. *you need a specific phone case. Check their website for your phone.
IMG_6325.jpeg

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
This has a bit more information.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
The mounting of mobile / cell phones has been an evolutionary process.

Using RAM mounts on the brake & clutch reservoirs, different positions over the years.

1705654693613.jpeg

Since 2019

I picked up a Migsel triple RAM mount and have tried various positions, albeit without the iPhone in these pics, but you can see the RAM ball mounts.

1705656458387.png

1705656486587.png

The GPS is hard wired, the mobiles are not. This because I have two iPhones (a work supplied and a private - I actually have a third, that's for, well I better not say), I usually have both with me when travelling. I keep an iPhone lead plugged into a hard wired USB port and swap the lightning connection between iPhones when stopped.

On both iPhones I have a speedo app. I usually have the speedo app displayed so I can read my speed accurately at anytime. Been using the speedo app for many years, this was in our rental at Cooke City MT in April 2017.

1705657455220.png

I took this pic because the display indicated that the altitude was 7338 ft, the highest mountain in Australia is Mount Kosciuszko at an elevation of 7310 ft, and we were in a valley.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
+1 on the Quadlock. Very secure mount that provides excellent vibration damping and Q charging.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Im getting a hard wired version next week, let me know if you want to try this, I’ll mail it to you. *you need a specific phone case. Check their website for your phone.
Absolutely interested! What part are you offering to send, please?

The actual wiring is the one thing I don't need help with.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
That site is not easy to navigate. I'm more confused now.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Absolutely interested! What part are you offering to send, please?

The actual wiring is the one thing I don't need help with.
When my new piece comes in, which should be just a charging head, I will send you the same. It has the USB end that was a point of failure for me. I’m pretty sure my 12v to USB female was letting in moisture. I tested the charging head separately and it is fine.
This is an ecosystem however. A dedicated phone case and charger head to RAM ball or whatever you are using to secure it to the bike is also needed.
Let’s see what comes and I’ll look at the site again to see what you may or definitely need.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Like this one?

Will it display Maps on my iPhone, and work with camera apps, like the HaloCam M1, or a Sena 50C?
You have a choice of navigation. Apple Maps, google maps, or Waze, and any other app that may be available on CarPlay. I’m not sure about the camera apps. Mine is viewable in bright sunlight and is waterproof.

John

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Larry, I also have a Garmin Zumo XT on the other handlebar. I usually run Waze for real-time alerts and detours. Do a search for available that run CarPlay. Waze is also good for voice search’s for food, fuel, or other destinations. Texts are read to you through your headset and can be sent by voice. Your phone book is easier to use on the device, instead of on the phone. Called I.D. also shows up on the device.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles

1705612190598.jpeg

I think I called them when I wanted to switch to wireless because I was confused myself, this was the minimum I could do and make it work for me. Hopefully this helps you. Not an easy site to navigate.
If you are using the mount in the above picture and you're going https://www.quadlockcase.com/ you'll need to first pick a case for your phone. The universal can't be used to charge wirelessly.

The screen poncho won't allow touch function if you have a screen protector on already.

Here is the RAM mount attachment, needed for said mount.
You take out the bolt, put the ball on the back of the charger, put in a supplied bolt that fits.

More choice for mounting with case.

Some riders are using the vibration dampener, I have not had an issue without one,YMMV.

I have the USB wireless charger, so what I would send you is just a charger and the USB power cord. If you love it... we can work something out.

Top Bottom