Looking for an iPhone mount - opinions, please

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
2024 Miles
For phone mounts Look at Q-mounts, I have one on each bike. They are one handed operation and you can get them either as wireless charging on non charging. Price wise they are a lot cheaper than Quad lock mounts. Several different mounting options.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Look at Tackform mounts as well. They’re a little more $$$, like $75, but we have one on the 1300 in Colorado and it holds the phone very securely (and they have the type to limit vibration as well to avoid damaging the phone). I might get one for the SWing (I use a mounted GPS on both ST1100’s now when I do use one)

Bike
2010 ST1300
I used the RAM - X mount for years with no problems and no security rubber band - just the spring loaded x mount. Phone was always secure, though I always double checked that the phone was properly seated all the way against the center of the X arms. I've bounced over RR tracks and those nasty expansion bumps on blacktop interstates w/ no hiccups.

Then one of the guys at NESTOC showed me his quad lock system. Yes the website is confusing but if you visit the site enough times there is a page that shows you what to order for an anti vibe/wireless charging/ram ball mount system. Funny thing is, I bought it and never used it for very long. I've been using my Garmin for nav. Only time I mount the phone is when I'm expecting a call or have a need for telephone on a trip.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
You have a choice of navigation. Apple Maps, google maps, or Waze, and any other app that may be available on CarPlay. I’m not sure about the camera apps. Mine is viewable in bright sunlight and is waterproof.

John
John - which model do you have that is waterproof?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Look at Tackform mounts as well.
Tackform has a bunch of different mounts that are well made. @Motorcycle Dave is a vendor who offers good prices and great service. He doesn't advertise prices because of manufacturers' Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is higher than his.

Many of the Tackform cradles are available without a mount (as well as with one). If you have a RAM ball mount of any nature there may be a cradle only option that can save some money.

I have one that pre-COVID was maybe $30. It mated to my RAM ball on my Helibar and works very well one-handed yet grip very securely.

Whether they have something that meets Larry's requirements I don't know. But anybody interested in a phone mount that already has a RAM mount maybe give a look.

Note– Tackform sells mounts and cradles that use either a 1" ball (RAM) or a 17mm ball (?) and they're not interchangeable.

Or you could mount a CarPlay device on a RAM mount and leave your phone in your pocket.

John
IMG_0336.jpeg IMG_0334.jpeg IMG_0333.jpeg
+1 for these chinesium carplay devices. I keep my phone in my pocket, or charging in the top box and run with one of these. Connects automatically, comes on with the ignition. Comes on a ram ball for easy mount. And your phone is safe. Not the cheapest at GBP200 currently. But excellent so far.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
+1 for these chinesium carplay devices. I keep my phone in my pocket, or charging in the top box and run with one of these. Connects automatically, comes on with the ignition. Comes on a ram ball for easy mount. And your phone is safe. Not the cheapest at GBP200 currently. But excellent so far.
I still would like to know whether they will control apps like Sena and HaloCam, as well as Maps.

Will they display camera images, either live or playback? Will they control the phone itself?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I still would like to know whether they will control apps like Sena and HaloCam, as well as Maps.

Will they display camera images, either live or playback? Will they control the phone itself?
No to Sena and Halocam.

All the answers in one spot, from Apple.

Link

John

The units only control car play compatible apps. So generally mapping stuff. YMMV with other apps. But easy to check with the app provider.
Generally the same as a car screen, obvs.
I doubt camera stuff will work. It's just a glance to get info system.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, I decided on the Q-mounts Pro Charge, and got the vibration dampener and the 1" ball adapter.

My phone's case is so thick that I had to bend the four arms a bit. It grips the phone like a gorilla now.

I'll post some pictures after I get it mounted and wired into one of the bikes; it'll most likely be the '01.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I'm looking for a mount with a few specifics for my iPhone SE, 2ng gen.; same size as an iPhone 6, and in a case.

1. I would like it to have easy, reliable one-hand operation, and not need a 4-way rubber band to keep it secure.

2. I would like it to have a built-in wireless charger, so I don't have to plug and unplug a cord every time I use it.

3. I don't have to use it, but I have a Ram-type mount, like this one, but only the post with the ball and a U-bolt:

1705612190598.jpeg

As always, thank you for your time.
QUADLOCK

/r
Brad

Top Bottom