Looking for Feedback on Utopia Backrest for ST1300

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Over 40 years of riding I've never owned or ridden a motorcycle with a driver's backrest. I bought a 2018 Goldwing this past September and a seat that already had a Utopia driver's backrest with it. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the backrest was in supporting my lower back - made longer rides a fair bit more comfortable without detracting from the fun of riding.

So - I'm thinking of getting one for my ST1300 and was wondering what ST1300 owners here that have (or have had ) the driver's Utopia on their 1300s think about it? I'm guessing they are comfortable. Do they detract from spirited riding, Any problems installing? Thanks

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I had bought a seat with one on it for my 1100. ( sorry I know you asked about the 1300). I was not a fan. I found it troublesome to get on the bike cause I could no longer swing my leg over the saddle.
As for comfort on the bike, my back rarely made contact with the back rest as my sitting ergonomics was slightly leaned forward. I have Helibars so I’m not as leaned over as the OEM bars.
If you ride more upright and have risers on your bars, I can see the advantage of the Utopia.

Bike
2009 ST1300
When I bought mine it came with this backrest, not sure what brand it is, but it is comfortable and can be adjusted. I want to take a passenger plus I like to at least feel as though if I'm going down I can let the bike go first, so I removed it. It has a solid steel angle bracket that bolted under the rear seat padding which I removed, repacked the hole in the pad and recovered the seat, I know I've got the installation information as well I'll post it tomorrow.

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300
Personally I require a backrest due to back injuries, so my bikes all have one.
However as @kiltman mentions, I have helibars also due to the extreme (for me) forward leaning position on the ST1300.
I used a Grasshopper backrest (check ebay) and I asked the guy to build it such that most of the padding was AFTER the split of the front and back seat (see pic)
Anyway the guy did a great job and I'm comfortable!

Attachments

When I bought mine it came with this backrest, not sure what brand it is, but it is comfortable and can be adjusted. I want to take a passenger plus I like to at least feel as though if I'm going down I can let the bike go first, so I removed it. It has a solid steel angle bracket that bolted under the rear seat padding which I removed, repacked the hole in the pad and recovered the seat, I know I've got the installation information as well I'll post it tomorrow.
That is the utopia i believe

Personally I require a backrest due to back injuries, so my bikes all have one.
However as @kiltman mentions, I have helibars also due to the extreme (for me) forward leaning position on the ST1300.
I used a Grasshopper backrest (check ebay) and I asked the guy to build it such that most of the padding was AFTER the split of the front and back seat (see pic)
Anyway the guy did a great job and I'm comfortable!
Thats a nice backrest but for me it would be around £300 shipped and that's a lots for a metal bracket and a pad. i could build one i think they are around 3mm steel but if i did i couldn't make it detachable. Their original clamps behind the seat bracket how does yours fix on it looks like it doesn't bolt behind the seat bracket. bending the steel isn't a issue its just finding a nice pad as the sissy bar pads available are not usually curved. sissy pads start from £10. I might get a sheet of plastic and a heat gun to make the bracket shape and then bend one up.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Thats a nice backrest but for me it would be around £300 shipped and that's a lots for a metal bracket and a pad. i could build one i think they are around 3mm steel but if i did i couldn't make it detachable. Their original clamps behind the seat bracket how does yours fix on it looks like it doesn't bolt behind the seat bracket. bending the steel isn't a issue its just finding a nice pad as the sissy bar pads available are not usually curved. sissy pads start from £10. I might get a sheet of plastic and a heat gun to make the bracket shape and then bend one up.
Hey @number1barber! The grasshopper backrest has the bracket that is connected to the backrest of course, but then there is another bracket (that the backrest bracket slides into) that mounts to the back of the front seat half under the back seat portion hook.
One can adjust the height of the backrest by sliding it in and out of that rectangle bracket and using the set screw to set the height.

That is a lot of money to get to London, but you could likely make one yourself. To adjust the height, you could possibly mount the backrest bracket under the front seat hook, and then make the backrest pad slide up and down on the bracket. I did some fiddling with the brackets to get the angles to my liking and it works well.

1670491825224.png

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have taller backrests on 3 bikes,,, and a lower (smuggler pad) on one bike. A couple of things that people should realize about backrests are: A mid-back rest that is positioned close to contacting you while in your normal riding posture, CAN give you a bit of an unexpected kick when hitting a bump. 2nd,,, unless you are an athlete, cowboy or kung-fu master,,, there is no more swinging a leg over the back of the bike. Normal for me now is a maneuver, not unlike the "John Cleese crazy walk", in which I kick my right leg out over the saddle, and then fall onto the seat without serious injury. Kind of the reverse to get me off. Hardly graceful,,, but effective,,, and you will no longer scuff your saddlebags !! CAt'

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Oh,,, I just remembered another method of getting on and off (no,,, not a crane hoist). And that is stepping on the left peg with the left foot,,, and climbing on. That works with a back rest as well. CAt'

Hey @number1barber! The grasshopper backrest has the bracket that is connected to the backrest of course, but then there is another bracket (that the backrest bracket slides into) that mounts to the back of the front seat half under the back seat portion hook.
One can adjust the height of the backrest by sliding it in and out of that rectangle bracket and using the set screw to set the height.

That is a lot of money to get to London, but you could likely make one yourself. To adjust the height, you could possibly mount the backrest bracket under the front seat hook, and then make the backrest pad slide up and down on the bracket. I did some fiddling with the brackets to get the angles to my liking and it works well.

1670491825224.png
Cheers for that. my journey was cancelled so i have time to sort it now

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Using the foot peg as though it was a stirrup works. I do that from time to time when I'm tired. Capt. Crash has a video somewhere here showing his daughter swinging a leg over a bike (no backrest IIRC) like a prima ballerina. I don't know if she can throw a roundhouse kick between 2 box cars though.

Top Bottom