Looking for opinion on BMW

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thinking about a smaller bike to use as a street scooter but versatile. I'm soliciting opinions about, say, a BMW F650GS or any other similar bike. Now I know the knobbies would be worn out fairly fast with only pavement use, but that could be solved by having a spare set of wheels and tires, one for pavement, one for off-road.

What are the pros and cons of this idea?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The new F650 with the 800 cc twin is a nice bike. Spartan, simple, available with nice panniers. Saw one of these yesterday at Quabbin and the woman who rides it loves it. Like many BMW models, there are similar options from other manufacturers that cost less to acquire and maintain. Consider a Kawi Versys which is a similar concept in a less expensive package. I really like mine. Check the classifieds at www.kawasakiversys.com to see if there are any for sale in your neck of the woods.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
We have an F650CS that came in the other day on trade. It was a hoot to ride even though it looks like a cross between an iPod and a motorcycle.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I rode the 800 ST version in the Alps. The F650 version is slightly detuned but it is a very capable motor. More than adequate power.
My daughter rode a F650 for 2 weeks in the Pyrenees and it was in its element there. Very maneuverable, torquey, etc. Which would seem to make it a good commuter bike. Lots of luggage options for it.

Other options ...the Versys (as mentioned) but also the Suzuki SV650 is a very capable bike. Both can be had without paying for the rondel.

I think your reasoning is sound and I too am seriously considering a light dual sport to explore some of the dirt/gravel roads around here. I will be interested in the feedback as well.

Rod

Rod

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Have you considered a KLR650? Not as up to date as the BMW, but simple is often a good thing. I've been riding mine a couple of months, and really like it. There are probably still a few leftover '09 models around (like mine,) at really good prices.

OP
OP
Gonzo

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I know the KLR is quite popular. I'm thinking of a fairly older machine that I might get for only a couple K. I'm not wedded to any particular brand. Having said that, I think the BMW adventure bikes with the rectangular panniers are kind of ugly. And I kind of like the ugly.

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I would wait until the Yamaha Super Tenere hits the showrooms. Specs look very promising.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Three questions you gots to ask yourself:

How comfortable do you want to be while you're riding it?

How far/fast will you likely be taking it?

How serious are you about taking it on unimproved roads?

With those three questions in mind, consider the following smaller, lighter packages.

Kawasaki Ninja 250, new ones go for $4k +, used ones 1.5-3.5k. Less than half the weight of the ST, can do freeway speeds, dirt cheap to operater, smoother than any thumpers. Standard ergos, sportbike appearance.

Suzuki GS500, Kawasaki Ninja 500 - A bit heavier than the Ninja 250, standard ergos, cheap, reliable.

Triumph Scrambler - heavier again, unpaved road worthy, easily handles freeways, way cooler than a Versys, WeeStrom, any DP bike, any adventure bike.

250-400cc DP bike: light, definitely dirt worthy, some can get ya around on the freeway, some can't.

TW200 - ultimate plonking around on the trails, poking around town bike. NOT freeway worthy, but if you aren't interested in tearing up the trails, it can go just about anywhere. Very much a proven design.

Finally, you may want to consider a 150-250cc scooter. Look at the large wheeled one's, along the lines of the Honda SH-150.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I'm a 5 year owner of a 2003 F650GS and it would clearly fit your bill. While I have mine set up for D/S riding with TKC80's, 15/49 gearing (16/47 is stock), HT Panniers, HID lighting, etc., you could run non-knobby tires quite successfully.

I've ridden mine multiple 700 miles in a day using a stock seat with no difficulty. Mine has been on a 1,000 mile week long d/s rally and many shorter d/s rides. It gets great mileage, is quite maneuverable, and has ABS. The site www.f650.com is a great resource. You'll find me over there as well.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me.

Tim

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Wife has a 2010 F650GS. She loves it. She still starts her ST13 up every weekend,,just to keep the seals lubed...:popcorn...:D

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I have a F800ST. Very light, nimble, claimed 69 MPG hi-way, very strong and angry 12-1 CR Rotax motor. Big 180 rear tire, tracks very cleanly. I lowered the pegs and raised the bars; it IS a sport bike. W/BMW side/soft tail bag, it is a good commuter bike. W/the factory can it is a fun bike to run thru the 6-speed gearbox. Expensive. At 61, I should be on my ST13, but the Beemer is a nice, fun ride.
The 650 would probably be more practical, though, but not nearly as much of a hoot.

:):04biker:

Bike
GL1800
Saw some Urals in Texas this Spring. A lot of maintenance from what the owners said! :bow1:

I picked up a 2009 KLR for similar work. An great deal of local fun..........and we took them to Alaska. We have found that the 75/25 street/dirt tires work pretty well. But you can change to knobs easily. We use a 50/50 tire for pure offroad stuff.

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I know the KLR is quite popular. I'm thinking of a fairly older machine that I might get for only a couple K. I'm not wedded to any particular brand. Having said that, I think the BMW adventure bikes with the rectangular panniers are kind of ugly. And I kind of like the ugly.
I had an F650GS Dakar for a while, as I was planning on taking to to a trip to Alaska. The trip never happended so I sold the bike. I really enjoyed riding it though. Check out the classified section of the ADVRider forum.

Fun bike for light off-roading and actually pretty adept on the road with TKC tires.

Rick

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If your desire is to stay around 2K then BMWs are out. I don't think I have seen many or any under 4 or 5K. By looking and looking you might find a Japanese dual sport in the 2K price range but it will be older. 50/50 tires like Dunlop 606's do pretty good at light off road duty and still stick well enough on the street and avoid the need for two sets of wheels. 70/30 and 80/20 tires aren't really off road tires but work ok on hard dirt or packed gravel. Just depends on what you want to do off road.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I found and bought a 2008 CRF230L on cycletrader with 423 miles from a private owner for $3,300, which included the Masterbuilt Motorcycle Carrier (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Masterbuilt-Motorcycle-Carrier/716554.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=bike+rack&x=9&y=11&Ntt=bike+rack) Saturday 10/02/2010.

Took it to Honda shop for the 600 mile service, my insurance increased $48, tag $38, rode to my optical shop (25 miles round trip with some dirt roads), even got that teenage feeling:D.

TurboCity supports a web site (http://www.hondacrf230l.com/) for this bike and there is http://www.thumpertalk.com/ which supports this bike too.

I'm looking forward to adding a windshield from TurboCity, and improving performance.

The plan is to ride the "L" 5 days a week to work and the "ST:06biker:" on Saturday.

I can see a camping :tent6:trip with my Kayak on top of my SUV, "L" on the back to paddle the river(s) and ride the trails.

Let's Ride! :D

Bike
2006 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I found and bought a 2008 CRF230L on cycletrader with 423 miles from a private owner for $3,300, which included the Masterbuilt Motorcycle Carrier (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Masterbuilt-Motorcycle-Carrier/716554.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=bike+rack&x=9&y=11&Ntt=bike+rack) Saturday 10/02/2010.

Took it to Honda shop for the 600 mile service, my insurance increased $48, tag $38, rode to my optical shop (25 miles round trip with some dirt roads), even got that teenage feeling:D.

TurboCity supports a web site (http://www.hondacrf230l.com/) for this bike and there is http://www.thumpertalk.com/ which supports this bike too.

I'm looking forward to adding a windshield from TurboCity, and improving performance.

The plan is to ride the "L" 5 days a week to work and the "ST:06biker:" on Saturday.

I can see a camping :tent6:trip with my Kayak on top of my SUV, "L" on the back to paddle the river(s) and ride the trails.

Let's Ride! :D
Oh, I forgot to mention, it gets close to 80 miles a gallon.

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
you were kidding when you said this right ?

they are 60 year old BMW's .... lock stock and barrel !

BMW doesn't do anything about it because they find this amusing :) ... unlike another Chinese rip-off a few years ago which was more recent and they took action.

Urals are what they are ... Siberian ice machines :D
Um, 60 year old BMW's didn't have disc brakes, electronic ignition, winkers, halogen lighting, or meet current emissions standards. I have seen a few of them in these parts and had tea with an owner and his SO. He loved the thing and so did she. He said was no more maintenance intensive as a modern carbuteted bike. And they they love the attention.
Posted via Mobile Device

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
The core of the Ural is still 60 years old, no matter what you hang on to them.

Sure they are attention getters, just like the 'new' Enfields from India.

If you enjoy cruising at the maximum speed of 60 mph :confused:, slowing down for every corner, and doing a bit more mtce than usual, be my guest !

not for me ... and I know the local dealers for both .... :)
The great thing about this hobby is freedom of choice and, hopefully, freedom from ridicule. Not everyone wants to hang off in corners, ride 500 miles a day or own every farkle imaginable. They just want to do it their own way. I don't have to agree with them, but I will respect their freedom of choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Bottom