Looks like I had visitors, hungry mice.

OP
OP
rtbmrgl

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Thanks for moving me to the ST1300 section.
As the words of the famous Bob Uecker, “I must be in the front row”

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Funny, I got exactly the same one gnaws in my garage last winter, mice have a taste for injection wires!
Did you replace the wiring or just the insulation?

OP
OP
rtbmrgl

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Funny, I got exactly the same one gnaws in my garage last winter, mice have a taste for injection wires!
Did you replace the wiring or just the insulation?
.I just found it this afternoon, tomorrow I’ll figure my plan of attack. I’ve worked at car dealers all my working career, I’ve seen this happen and repaired many. One time I did a new car setup (PDI) that went to the customer and came back on the hook the next morning, same thing, injector wires chewed. Not sure when they changed but wire insulation can be made of soy products, not sure that’s the case for my 20yo Honda.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Been there, done that, got the replacement harness! Good luck on the fix...

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I had a major issue with mice in my daughter's car last winter. After researching possible solutions, I put peppermint oil on cotton balls, put them in plastic bags (5 - 6 per bag) and placed them in various places in the car where the mice were (glove compartment, rear hatch area etc.). Some places (ex/ air box, blower motor) won't work though. So far so good, but we'll see how we do this winter.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Rodents have been chewing on wires well before soy insulation was used. Besides, it's so processed that it is nothing even close to original food-stuffs. It's like comparing crude-oil to a button-up shirt, not even close to same thing.

I've heard that hanging little cloth baggies of moth-balls from pegs during storage keeps them away. Never had mice issues, but certainly wouldn't hurt. Gonna try it this winter in case the cats get lazy.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
They could cost you much more than a wiring replacement especially on EV's!
Tried a lot of stuff to keep rodent away from my cars & motorcycles and I believe only in one proven solution, mouse traps & peanuts butter.
I put at a pair of traps near each vehicle, its not perfect for sure, but at least I got some of these rodents.
Poison is terrible, you attract them somehow and they are rotting in places you can't access, beside representing a real danger for pets.
Electronic repellents are very convenient but they don't work at all, they are more a scam than a real solution.
By the way my garage is filled with with cloth baggies too.
I would be curious to know how others are dealing with rodents, winter is coming!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
What are the possibilities of renting garage space at Larry's for the winter?
His pet rattlesnakes might be the bee's knees for this predicament, and besides... he's supposed to be on light duty for his recovery period.
And if he can't work on the police bikes, perhaps he could use an extra rental income source.
I personally have no knowledge of his finances, I'm just thinking out loud here.
And if you're about to blow me off for being silly, I don't recall any rodent-related wiring problems at his place, unless the equipment was brought to him in that condition.

Top Bottom