Looks like more women are riding LD

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Not shocked...but not sure it is wise in all cases.

I read of a woman who was riding in a dicey area of South America and was raped, beaten and left for dead. Sure, it could've happened to a man...but the sight of an attractive woman alone will catch the attention of men who you'd rather not meet. What is safe here in the streets of our local towns, is not always safe elsewhere.

And in places like the Middle East, woman are second-class citizens. A few years back, a major news network's reporter was separated from her film crew and gang raped in the middle of the day in a crowded plaza.

As a guy, there are places I don't go. It just isn't smart.

Chris

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Not surprising. I was at my barbers today. She is moving back to 2-wheels after spending a few years on the back of a GW trike. At about 65 years young,,, that is a gutsy choice,, cheers, CAt'

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
not sure it is wise in all cases
A wise friend of mine once told me "walk softly, carry a big stick." She's African, white, and grew up during Apartheid. She'll often go for walks where there's large hunting animals & her only defence is a large stick.

I would not have wanted to go through 1% of the stuff she did growing up, and I'm sure she hasn't told me anywhere near everything.

Point being, situational awareness is everything. That, and some amount of preparedness (carrying tools in an easy to access location is probably good, and unlikely to run foul of local law).

And in places like the Middle East, woman are second-class citizens
The wife went to Egypt by herself a few years back. Strictly tourist areas only, with a heavy armed force presence due to terrorist threats. She regretted it, though nothing other than comments/off looks happened.

I went to Turkey, by myself, and was treated like a king. We'll both be in Tunisia this summer.

Re the point of the thread. Here here! More folk riding, regardless of gender, the more cage drivers will be used to us, and the more services we can likely depend on (no-one likes to breakdown when you don't speak the language & have no idea where the nearest mechanic is, or if they're any good).

Obviously, for all long trips, planning & preparedness is required. Both for the vehicle & the rider.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I know of a woman in her thirties that did her first IBA SS1K this last June. It was a "Yooperland SS1K" - all ridden in the U.P. of Michigan.

For the later part of the ride, it was cold & raining and she didn't have any rain or heated gear. I heard she stopped in Rapid River with about 150 miles to finish due to possible hyperthermia, but she did finished about an hour behind the group she was riding with.

I gave her a big congratulations when she finished in Sault Ste. Marie. That's when she told me her baby was due in September.

The Iron Butt Association : "World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders".

Bike
VStrom 650
This is a great feature on inspirational women riders.

I don't think anything we can do on a bike that a woman cannot do.

Women and girls on motorcycles, pfft whatever next. Female soccer players?!?
Of course one thing they (probably) won't do is discuss Molybdenum Disulphide on a regular basis :crackup:.
Upt'North.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
About 1/3 of the new students in our MSF classes are girls.
Long past when I was looking to meet girls, I noticed that horses seemed to be one of the places that girls spent time with. Hmmm...me thinks. Lots of girls, not many guys there for competition. Now comes motorcycles. If you want to meet a girl...ride a motorcycle...because she will be riding one too.

The only thing better is to walk a cute puppy. Chick magnet. :D

Chris

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
How many boys are there in this forum? Please let us respect our fellow female riders as women.

Careless language reinforces prejudices.

Really? Was that necessary to give us a lecture? What prejudice did it reinforce? I've gotta go use the little boys room, is that a problem now too? Or I'm gonna have a night out with the boys. Also incorrect now? This careless language as well? When my wife sez shes "having a night out with the girls", is that OK? Or is it only OK for her to say it, and not me, or I won't respect her as a woman somehow? Who gets to choose whats acceptable now? Politically correct garbage. I know Mellow will pull this, so be it.
RT

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'll be meeting all the boys at the BRG next week. I don't know if any girls will be there or not but they will certainly be welcome if they are.

Top Bottom