Loss of rear brake Honda ST1300A

I am in central south Florida in my RV - I use my 2009 ST1300 for local transportation and exploration. I just returned from a ride and the rear brake pedal just goes to infinity with zero braking action. The last time this happened I was near a Honda MC dealer and they spent hours because of the cross over nature of the front and rear brakes. Can anyone explain the process of replacing the rear brake pads ... am I going to need special tools? A bottle of aspirin? The pads seem cheap enough on Ebay - frankly if I could find a shop here near South Bay, Florida, I'd take it in. But that may not be a possibility. I also recall having the rear tire replaced in Michigan somewhere and removing the back wheel was brutal for two people with the bike on a lift. Can the pads be changed without removing the wheel? I know, too many questions ... Peter

Lots to unpack here, Peter. First, sorry you’re having troubles.

I haven’t worked on a 1300 yet but i think there are a few things to consider. First is that if the pedal goes to infinity and there is no braking action at all, even the slightest or even the sound of pads on steel, then I’d be looking at the rear brake master cylinder first. Specifically, is there any brake fluid in the reservoir? I’ve never had a set of pads on either end of anything I’ve driven that hasn’t made some kind of noise, even a grinding sound, when applied.

Second, and I’ll defer to Igofar and the folks who know the 1300, I’m surprised that it was difficult for two people to take the rear wheel off. When my grandson was 10 or 11, he pulled the rear wheel off my 1100 by himself and no one would suggest he’s a gorilla at 60 pounds or so!

The good news is that replacing the brake pads should only require removing a couple of bolts on the caliper and then the pad retaining bolt. Now those can be another story!

Now, any second now, someone will pop in and correct me! :)

My internet hung up but eventually I found a Utube video that made it pretty clear how to replace the pads. Getting the parts might take some effort, but it will give me time to soak the retaining bolt in silicone to soften it up for when I remove it. This did happen once before and I was told the pads were so worn the piston was coming out so far it was leaking hydraulic oil. In the end, I wouldn't put a lot of credence in that particular group of mechanics. I see no sign of oil, and I was able to move the outside shoe clear of the disc with enough room I think the old pads will come out easily. I need to find something made of wood to touch - not superstitious or anything, but why chance it?

There was no response at the brake at all - I know there is some interconnection in the brakes on this bike where engaging the front brake will partially engage the back one by itself. Seems stupid, and could possibly screw you up ... I can do a quick test tomorrow and see if hitting the brake pedal pushes the rear brake back where it was. Still, no leakage and having had the same thing before, for now my money is on the pads. If I weren't southeast of the actual center of nowhere, I'd take it to a shop - sometimes you have to try something you've never done before. Thanks for your thoughts.

I would first make sure there is plenty of brake fluid in the rear master cylinder fluid reservoir.

Then I would visually make sure the pedal is physically pressing into the rear master cylinder.

Next would be to crack the rear banjo bolt a little and see if there is any brake fluid pressure.

Before you start following some of the video’s, many of which are not correct, you may want to private message me a contact phone number so I can call you on the white courtesy phone and explain what your dealing with, and how to fix it.
:WCP1:

You may see that you need brake pads. That is unrelated to no pedal unless there was not enough fluid in the master cylinder to keep up with the brake pad wear.
What level is showing or not in the master cylinder?
How much material is remaining on the pads?

I know a fair bit about the brakes on the ST1300, but what you describe simply should not happen. I could tell you a few things to look for, but there are so many different possibilities ranging from pads falling out, to no brake fluid, to damaged smc. It sounds like your bike has been worked on by people who haven't got a clue what they are doing. This needs a proper conversation so that you can quickly identify where the problem lies. Its almost impossible to do that on here. Things get missed.

Talk with Larry - Igofar - He will be able to ask the questions to help to identify the problem. It is not a test. Answer the questions honestly. If you don't know, say so. It will save a lot of time.

Peter, I think it is highly unlikely that you have worn through all the material and steel, I mean how wud ya.
Can you take the pannier off and take a picture of the caliper, it'd be a good start. My money would be on hydraulics not pads......but ya never know.
Upt'North.

Back
Top Bottom