Loud Pipes Save.......Nothing

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Well, I seem to be in the majority as I really don't like obnoxiously loud pipes but nicely tuned moderately loud is okay. For several years, I rode with a group of friends on fairly long road trips... week or two duration. Two of them ride Harleys with straight pipes. Not an issue as long as I was in front of them. Unfortunately, one of them liked to ride towards the front. I would try to drop in right behind the leader and even though I was fairly close behind, this rider would pass me. I would then pass him. Then he would pass me. I finally told him why I didn't want to ride behind him and he stupidly said he understood.... because he didn't like riding right behind the other Harley for any length of time because the noise just wears you out.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've seen all manner of bike crashes over the years. 1960's bikes with stock/loud exhausts through extra lighting and high viz clothing to led body lighting...bent on the side of the road.
Sad thing is, some people are oblivious to anything...safety of others and that of themselves and family members in the vehicle with them.
You can be riding a 'Boss Hoss' with open pipes, standing on the seat stark naked, ablaze from head to toe and shouting 'Yellow Rose of Texas' through a megaphone.....and some &^%$ won't see you.
It's all on us to remain on the ball.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Mike (@970mike) was a fireman. He has shown a video of a fire truck racing to call with the lights flashing and the siren whaling. A woman stops at a stop sign and then proceeds to pull out directly in front of the fire truck and gets broad-sided by it.

If people don't see a huge truck with all of its lights on, and with extra multiple flashing lights, and with an extremely loud siren whaling away, they won't here loud pipes.

Have a look. The crash sequence starts at the 5:00 minute mark- Truck 1 Accident.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Mike (@970mike) was a fireman. He has shown a video of a fire truck racing to call with the lights flashing and the siren whaling. A woman stops at a stop sign and then proceeds to pull out directly in front of the fire truck and gets broad-sided by it.

If people don't see a huge truck with all of its lights on, and with extra multiple flashing lights, and with an extremely loud siren whaling away, they won't here loud pipes.

Have a look. The crash is at the 5:10 mark- Truck 1 Accident.
+1, blue lights, flashing headlights and wailers make no difference.
Perhaps they should fit emergency vehicles with loud pipes :rofl1:.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I've seen all manner of bike crashes over the years. 1960's bikes with stock/loud exhausts through extra lighting and high viz clothing to led body lighting...bent on the side of the road.
Sad thing is, some people are oblivious to anything...safety of others and that of themselves and family members in the vehicle with them.
You can be riding a 'Boss Hoss' with open pipes, standing on the seat stark naked, ablaze from head to toe and shouting 'Yellow Rose of Texas' through a megaphone.....and some &^%$ won't see you.
It's all on us to remain on the ball.
You are 100% right. It is foolish for us as bikers to assume anything. I always try to ride with an escape plan.

Top Bottom