Loud Pipes Save.......Nothing

Bike
2005 st1300
When people bring up the "loud pipes save lives" issue, I always say "yeah, so would driving down the road laying on the horn. Why dont we all do that and see what everyone thinks of that"
The ricer car crowd is just as bad these days, running their "fart can" mufflers, seeking out bridges and tunnels to get their kicks

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
I too am a loud pipe hater. But the penalty for anti-social riding is now being felt in Europe. Already there are roads around the German Eifel Region (around the Nurburgring race circuit) that are closed to motorcycles during weekends. Austria has now implemented a ban on bikes exceeding 95db in the Tyrol Region and Switzerland is looking to follow.

Now whilst this will not affect me on a Pan, it opens the potential for more bans to follow. The UK has some fantastic roads for motorcycling, but a lot of them also thread their way though small villages. Just one anti-social moron can sway the view of a whole community against bikes!

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Yeah. Its kinda sad that the EPA mandates the noise limit on all vehicles including motorcycles but does nothing to enforce it. Every motorcycle made since the earlier 80's have an EPA approval number to certifies it complies with the law. Just look on your pipes if its oem it'll be stamped on it. But almost all aftermarket performance loud maker pipes are ILLEGAL if they are not EPA certified. I get a kick out of my Local emission test station here. As long as it passes emission which means no check engine light is on Your muffler can rattle the entire emission center and no one will say a word.
Yeah well be really careful what you wish for. The last thing I want is some mid-level unelected government bureaucrat with a bad combover dictating what, when and where in my life. I've read all I need to about MOT and TUV style inspections. Yeah, nah.

RT

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Loud pipes are obnoxious, nothing more or less.
Those that think they help their safety are wrong but nothing I type will change their view.
I would appreciate it very much, if Northumbria Police are reading this (which I very much doubt), if you were to carry out weekend checks on the A697 and impound all offending vehicles regardless of the number of wheels they have. I'll even provide you all with socially distanced half time tea and biscuits.
Upt'North.
Every Saturday morning, I hear a neighbor fire up his Hardly for his weekly ride. Sounds like it's next door, but is two streets over.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yeah well be really careful what you wish for. The last thing I want is some mid-level unelected government bureaucrat with a bad combover dictating what, when and where in my life. I've read all I need to about MOT and TUV style inspections. Yeah, nah.

RT
People that know me know I am the last person that want the government intruding into our lives but...imho it's getting crazy. Noise pollution is real and over the decades its just gotten worse. If you live in a city like LA or NY city the governments have really started cracking down on this very thing. Just saying we need common sense laws and not having the streets like the wild west where anything goes.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Before long, all gas engines will be deemed too loud and everything will have to be electric?
I'm convinced electric's time is coming. For example...check out the electrics Bell Helicopter is using in it's E-flight aircraft.

Once I can take a 500 mile drive in my car and recharge in the same time I spend refuelling and stretching, I'm all in....just not at any price.
Same with bikes. When practical and cost effective, they will sell themselves.
Last thing we need is some unelected, C- lawyer dictating personal travel. It will 'fly' on its own when it really is ready for prime time.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm convinced electric's time is coming. For example...check out the electrics Bell Helicopter is using in it's E-flight aircraft.

Once I can take a 500 mile drive in my car and recharge in the same time I spend refuelling and stretching, I'm all in....just not at any price.
Same with bikes. When practical and cost effective, they will sell themselves.
Last thing we need is some unelected, C- lawyer dictating personal travel. It will 'fly' on its own when it really is ready for prime time.
But, the gov might be making that decision for you sooner than you would like. Because, why on earth should we be allowed to ride around spewing carbon emissions on something that is only used as a recreational vehicle? As Greta would say, "How dare you"!

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
One of the riders who got me back on a bike was a Harley rider.
I had to read that over until I realized you meant back onto a bike, and not revenge on a bike. :)

Edit: sound from exhaust pipes as well as from horns is very directional. Others will hear it better when it matters if a horn is pointed forward. Exhaust is heard better from behind since that is pointed rearward.
At least you don't have to be worried about being surprised by a Harley backing up into you. :biggrin:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
People that know me know I am the last person that want the government intruding into our lives but...imho it's getting crazy. Noise pollution is real and over the decades its just gotten worse. If you live in a city like LA or NY city the governments have really started cracking down on this very thing. Just saying we need common sense laws and not having the streets like the wild west where anything goes.
And there are PLENTY of ways to do that. Roadside stops with dB checks and hefty fines will take care of the rank offenders. There are many places that already do this. I've had many louder exhausts over the years, but I'm smart enough to idle around sensitive areas and exercise some judgement. Tossing everyone in the same boat, at the discretion of some some govt cretin, is the wrong approach.

RT

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I take a major ferry ride at least a couple times a year (except last year!) and my pet peeve is being in line to board with other bikes around that I am not riding with. The yard master gives the go ahead to start engines and prepare to board. I always have to look at my tach to make sure the ST started because I certainly can't hear it for the V-twins.

Top Bottom