Low Beam Headlight Adjustment

STOC #
I need help in locating the adjusting screw up under the fairing behind the headlight. Even when I crank the dash adjustment knob as high as it will go, the low beams are still too low, and I wind up flipping over to the high beams and turning them down to act like low beams.

I've read about the existence of the screw, but when looking I can't seem to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Pred8tor said:
I need help in locating the adjusting screw up under the fairing behind the headlight. Even when I crank the dash adjustment knob as high as it will go, the low beams are still too low, and I wind up flipping over to the high beams and turning them down to act like low beams.

I've read about the existence of the screw, but when looking I can't seem to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It's waaaay up under the fairing.. If you put the bike on the center stand,
and look up into the fairing along the inside the left hand fork, you will
see white plastic knob with a phillips slot on the inside. I can't remember
the size of the socket (17mm maybe) will fit over the outside of the knob.. To adjust, run your headlight to the up position and then
turn the adjustment knob... I "think" looking from the bottom, that
clockwise will elevate the headlight... But heck, it might be counter-
clockwise (anti for across the pond ).. Someone will post the
correct direction... I adjusted mine when I first got my ST...
Dont set it too high, if you ride double, you might not have
enough adjustment (dash knob) to get it low enough and
not dazzle oncoming drivers..

Putt...

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
Putt is right on as far as the placement of the knob/screw. I think the size is 10mm (I could be wrong)
Use a 1/4 inch drive with a LONG extension and a wobble end if available. This makes it easy to access without taking anything apart.
Shine your headlight on the back wall of the garage with the bike on the centerstand, and make a mark where it is, then adjust away, this will tell you if your moving it up or down.

OP
OP
Pred8tor
STOC #
Thanks a lot, guys! Kev, the pic was a big help - as well as the 12mm size socket recommendation. I finally had time tonight to adjust the light, and that's a BIG help!

Thanks!

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
g17 said:
Dunno if this pic will help. I could not hold the camera steady laying on my back. Anyway, place the bike on it's center stand with the headlight pointing at a wall. Look up into the fairing behind the headlight on the front left side (lay on your back if need be and look up along side the left front fork) and you will see a white plastic bolt head that has a phillips slot in the center. Nevermind using a screwdriver, use a 12mm socket with a long extension (you can turn it with your hand) and turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to raise the beam and clockwise to lower. I just did this on my 05 following the good advice from this board and it's simple.
Just bought yesterday a 2003 ST out of town and rode it back last night, to discover the lowbeams where focusing only few feet ahead, even on highest setting. Not a fun ride.
Thanks a lot for your post (and this site) as I thought I'd have to take the fairing down to adjust the adjuster!

Ok, question, I too, have noticed the beams could be a little higher at the highest setting. While i had the side panels off for aux light install, noticed 2 good sized grey plastic wheels w/ finger grips at 33degrees around on either side near the headlights bulbs (rubber seal). I have an '05. is this a new adjustment wheel for the light height?

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
pmorritt said:
Ok, question, I too, have noticed the beams could be a little higher at the highest setting. While i had the side panels off for aux light install, noticed 2 good sized grey plastic wheels w/ finger grips at 33degrees around on either side near the headlights bulbs (rubber seal). I have an '05. is this a new adjustment wheel for the light height?

What you are seeing is the individual aiming adjustments for each bulb from left to right, not up and down. up and down is done together. left-right is independent.

Txrebel said:
What you are seeing is the individual aiming adjustments for each bulb from left to right, not up and down. up and down is done together. left-right is independent.
Muchas Gracas. Thought so--you confirmed. Thanks. Adjusted the lights w/adjusting nut. Gezzzz this is a great site! :)

Top Bottom