Low low mile 1990. Should I?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
A lot of assumptions have been made about this 1100. Only you know what the current owner has to say about it and how it’s been stored. While it’s true that rubber and plastic parts deteriorate with time and environment, it’s possible this isn’t necessarily the case with this bike. If you can take it for a long test ride then carefully observe for leaks etc afterwards, that could give you an idea. Replacing everything in one go sounds expensive. Replacing bits as they perish is time consuming as, yet one more time you’ll have to remove the Tupperware. Trust me that gets old very quickly.
Here are my original (not mentioned by anyone else) thoughts/questions regarding the 1100 vs 1300 question (yes I currently own both):
1100, carbs, 1300 fuel injection. Do you really want to buy into carbs in this E5, E10, E? World?
No one mentioned the timing belt. 90,000 miles is the recommended, but no time limit is given. Do you really want to drive a rubber belt that old on an interference engine? Or are you up to changing it immediately?
This 1100 doesn’t have ABS. Does the 1300? If so, does it work? Older bike ABS is notorious for failing.
1100 screen fixed. 1300 electric (mostly). This is a valuable upgrade.
1100 has traction control (probably) 1300 does not.
1300 has more power, 1300 is lighter, 1300 has lower gearing, both are under geared (they both need taller gears or a sixth above 5th and not just 6 ratios squeezed into the space of the current 5. )
28Amp alternator vs ??? For 1300.
Spare parts: some parts for the 1100 are hard/impossible to get now. That’s enough for now.
Respectfully, this is nonsense. Plenty of ST1100 running just fine on E10. Mine is one of them. The electronic doodads you see as positive I view as negatives and with lots of dubious side eye glances. Plenty of threads on problematic EFI, ECUs, ABS, SMC, TC, etc. etc. The "gotcha" issues with the 1100's are all well known, and easily remedied. Parts impossible to get??? Ive pretty much gone through mine, one end to the other, and parts were not a problem. Yes, some aren't available from mother Honda, but aftermarket and used are plentiful and reasonably priced.

Not that I dont like the 1300, or many new bikes, I do. I just dont think they are worth the coin, or offer enough of an advantage over my trusty 1100 to make the change worth it. I'm on my third season with my 1100, after doing the required maintenance over the past winters it has delivered perfect reliability and 400+ miles per week of efficient commuting.

The abovementioned ST1100 is a fantastic opportunity for someone, willing to turn a wrench, to own a machine that will serve them for a decade of reliable service with little other than normal maintenance. And do so for very short money.

Respectfully, this is nonsense. Plenty of ST1100 running just fine on E10. Mine is one of them. The electronic doodads you see as positive I view as negatives and with lots of dubious side eye glances. Plenty of threads on problematic EFI, ECUs, ABS, SMC, TC, etc. etc. The "gotcha" issues with the 1100's are all well known, and easily remedied. Parts impossible to get??? Ive pretty much gone through mine, one end to the other, and parts were not a problem. Yes, some aren't available from mother Honda, but aftermarket and used are plentiful and reasonably priced.

Not that I dont like the 1300, or many new bikes, I do. I just dont think they are worth the coin, or offer enough of an advantage over my trusty 1100 to make the change worth it. I'm on my third season with my 1100, after doing the required maintenance over the past winters it has delivered perfect reliability and 400+ miles per week of efficient commuting.

The abovementioned ST1100 is a fantastic opportunity for someone, willing to turn a wrench, to own a machine that will serve them for a decade of reliable service with little other than normal maintenance. And do so for very short money.
If you read my post again, you’ll notice I made no claims about carbs and E fuels, I nearly asked if the OP was willing to enter that arena with a carbed bike. I’ve had to remove and clean the carbs on my 1100 more than once and it’s a PITA. And that doesn’t even consider the corrosive effect of ethanol on some rubber and plastic parts, on vehicles built when this was not a consideration. I own both bikes so I wasn’t favouring one over the other, just highlighting some points for the OP to consider. My 1100 “runs” fine on E10 too,but “running isn’t the issue it’s damage and gumming up. You ride 400 miles a week so you won’t face the issue of gumming up, but many riders only ride occasionally , that’s where ethanol raises its ugly head. I don’t
Ride my 1100 much, so what’s happening to my fuel system quietly, in all the hidden places? And if you’ve ever had to hunt all over Europe for the two last front brake bobbins as I have had to (at €30 each!) or seen the price of a new water pump. You wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the issue of SOME parts availability. BTW there’s nothing “respectful”
about starting with “this is nonsense “ that’s just something people say when they’re about to be disrespectful. Just saying. Although, to be fair, “nonsense” isn’t harsh.

Last edited:

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I'd go for plane too , but I have an ST 1100. I haven't had any problems with my 2000 ABSll ,50 000 miles. All new parts I have needed /wanted - not been a problem. I have gone over the bike in time , to get to know it , and though not worn out , I have bought new hoses ,timing belt ,rubber dampers ,- rubber stuff. Apart from the hoses and "elbowes" the other stuff would have still lasted a long time. That said , I can see that an ST11 or ST13 could be a nightmare . But not a one owner that has gone 3000 miles and stored properly. It must look new ? There will be things though. I don't think a ST13 is going to be any "safer" than a good ST11. Still might be smart idea to try one (ST13). I didn't and I'm not missing anything.
E10 gas - don't know what that can do , but pretty sure we have the same problems with gas here ,with gas standing for a long time. Take it for a looooong test drive. See if you like it. I'm sure any problems will surface. Leaks ,brakes , coolant , noise. If you cant try it -walk away. AND get that price down. They are great bikes , but not everyones cup of tea . Good luck !

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
did you guys miss post #15 where the OP said he's no longer interested and decided to pass on the bike???

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My 1990 had 135000km and was running nicely on the original alternator and with original rubber hoses when I sold it on in 2019. I had a voltmeter fitted and it never budged from 14.1V when running, and had a minor weep from the potted material at the back that never changed in the 40,000km that I used it for. I did replace the fuel hoses and front brake lines.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
If you read my post again, you’ll notice I made no claims about carbs and E fuels, I nearly asked if the OP was willing to enter that arena with a carbed bike. I’ve had to remove and clean the carbs on my 1100 more than once and it’s a PITA. And that doesn’t even consider the corrosive effect of ethanol on some rubber and plastic parts, on vehicles built when this was not a consideration. I own both bikes so I wasn’t favouring one over the other, just highlighting some points for the OP to consider. My 1100 “runs” fine on E10 too,but “running isn’t the issue it’s damage and gumming up. You ride 400 miles a week so you won’t face the issue of gumming up, but many riders only ride occasionally , that’s where ethanol raises its ugly head. I don’t
Ride my 1100 much, so what’s happening to my fuel system quietly, in all the hidden places? And if you’ve ever had to hunt all over Europe for the two last front brake bobbins as I have had to (at €30 each!) or seen the price of a new water pump. You wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the issue of SOME parts availability. BTW there’s nothing “respectful”
about starting with “this is nonsense “ that’s just something people say when they’re about to be disrespectful. Just saying. Although, to be fair, “nonsense” isn’t harsh.
You say potAto, I say potatO. Maybe your ethanol gas is different across the pond, but I've found a healthy dose of Marine Stabil takes care of the ethanol problem if the machine is being used infrequently. Works for any other carb'd machine too. Other than removing the carbs to do the cooling system work, and new carb boots I haven't had to touch them. I don't think that coolant pump was ever "cheap", and I've not had any issue getting service parts so clearly my experience is different from yours. Or maybe I'm just talking nonsense....

Top Bottom