Lubricate clutch cable on 1993 st1100

Bike
R1200rt
1695263601835.png
Pinch a soft foam ball or some putty between the tips of your fingers and your thumb. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat 10 to 15 times on both hands. Do this exercise two to three times a week, but rest your hands for 48 hours in between sessions. you have all winter to work on it

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
That is the first thing I noticed when I got the ST1100, coming from a cable clutch before. It was in stop and go traffic, as you found out too, is where it became obvious but after a while you get used to it. I’ve changed the parts mentioned above by others and it didn’t make any difference. I haven’t rebuilt the Master Cylinder (MC),although have drained it and cleaned it out followed by bleeding. I have not rebuilt the Slave Cylinder yet (found on the clutch housing in the front of the engine). That might help. Riding season is short and winter maintenance gets out off and before you know it, riding season is here!
The only thing I did or knew at the beginning was changing the oil. As my confidence grew with the help of this site and sister site ST-Riders I tackled way more difficult tasks, than I thought possible. Still have lots to learn too.
So hang in, search and ask lots, and you will be fine.
Welcome to the site.
Thanks. Glad to hear hydraulic is just different than cable clutch. I really didn’t want to start messing with that. Today I was in traffic on my other bike and even the clutch lever was easier to handle, my hand still hurt, so I think it was me to fault. Looking forward to maintaining the bike myself. Since I got into motorcycles, I feel I already learnt quite a bit on motorcycle subject. Oil change will be first for sure. My next task to tackle is organize the garage, make more room and slowly buy the necessary tool and tool storage.
Thanks.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Glad to hear hydraulic is just different than cable clutch.
I had the same awakening moving from a cable clutch to my first hydraulic clutch bike way back. Hondas are the only hydraulic clutch bikes I've ridden on only one or two had cable clutches. So moving to them was a learning experience.

Modified clutch levers have worked for me. I've never been comfortable with the friction point being so far out from the grip compared to my cable bikes. There were a great set of dog-leg levers available for my Interceptor and Sabre but not for my ST. But I get by. The VFR levers are on my list.

Top Bottom