Lurker, new user from The Netherlands

Bike
ST1300 2004
Hi there,
After a long time lurking decided to subscribe to the forum. I am from The Netherlands, 53 years young and i have a 2004 silver ST1300. Been riding VFR for a couple of years but the ST1300 is waaaayyy... different... :D i have had the ST1300 since september 2023, it already caught fire, 2x dead battery and an almost completely empty fueltank... so much fun...
Anyway, this forum looks like it packed with info so got some reading to catch up on.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum! Electrical issues are becoming more frequent on ST1300s and hopefully you find the answers you need before total immolation occurs.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Welcome from Maryland in the U.S. of A.

i have had the ST1300 since september 2023, it already caught fire, 2x dead battery and an almost completely empty fueltank
Sounds as if your bike is suffering from serious neglect and possibly abuse (not by you, of course), except maybe for the empty fuel tank... You've got some maintenance to do. This is the right place to learn about pretty much every issue you're likely to encounter, and how to correct it.

OP
OP
Sweetlake Jake
Bike
ST1300 2004
Thanks all, the fire was caused by overheating due to a failing bobine (?, i don't know the correct english word, the coil that send a spark to the the ehh... sparkplug) for the left cylinders. It was a small fire but caused damage nevertheless. All is fixed now, the machine rides great again. Since then i installed a small fire extinguisher just to be sure! Batteries can be fixed, so that's not an issue anymore. The fuel was weird: i still had 70km+ according to the indicator... guess not! Never trust your indicator!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard. There have been a few threads about bad fuel level indicators. IIRC, the problem is with a thermistor at the bottom of the lower fuel tank. You will have to do a search for this...it is not a frequent problem.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Welcome! From New Brunswick, Canada. So I must ask, have you ever been to my part of the world? When I visited Nederland a couple times, I enjoyed seeing where my parents grew up - a long time ago.

OP
OP
Sweetlake Jake
Bike
ST1300 2004
I have never been to Canada, i have been to the USA once. I do have relatives livi g in the USA, though i do not know them. My family is splintered, i have no more family left.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Howdy from the Southern State. Yeah, some will say there are "several" Southern States, but I don't live in those.
The fires I read about have been related to a malfunctioning SMC which locks the rear brake, which when sufficiently ignored allows friction to build up intense heat. When things on the bike begin to melt, with or without accompanying flames, that's more excitement and adventure than I care for.
Thanks for checking in! Don't be a stranger.
I mean, we're all strange to some degree, but I think you know what I mean...

Top Bottom