Magdalen Islands Iron Butt

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Did you add it up? I'm not sure, but It was about 22 hours running from start to finish. I pulled the times from google maps and when they weren't available, I used the timestamps on my dash cam. I know that when I left Moncton, my trip meter read just under 1000 miles and that was around 19-20 hrs including stops. Keep in mind there was a time zone crossing so I may have gained (lost?) an hour.
Cockeysville, MD - Scranton, PA (179 miles) - 8:19am - 11:32 am GMT-4
Charlottetown, PE - Souris, PE (48 miles) - 6:02 am - 6:56 am GMT-3
It was some late in the day math, and time changes make it that much more complex :), 22 seems closer. I have enjoyed starting trips with runs like this, you wake up the next day and you're there. Enjoy the trip, post picts.

OP
OP
Nexus
Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
For the IronButt, I am planning (probably after I will have changed my 22 years old coolant hoses, so probably next year) I am planning to do a Montreal - Windsor/Detroit - Montreal, or... Montreal - Toronto - Quebec - Montreal. Something like that. An advantage that I see with the 401, is that they have ONroute rest stops at every 45 minutes or so. So, gas, food, coffee, toilets, are always nearby, directly on the side of the freeway. Also, the traffic speed is 10, 20, 30 kmh over the limit. So you can flow at the traffic speed without risking a ticket, and complete the 1000 miles in a bit less time.
Yes, contrary to popular belief, the 401 IS a good highway for all the reasons you stated. I find that down here (US) you're more likely to see "ONroute"-like rest stops on the turnpikes (toll highways). "Normal" rest stops don't have gas and are limited on food. Usually, you have to pull over and find a gas station that may or may not be on your side of the highway, and sometimes they can be a mile away!

Sticking to a major autoroute definitely helps. You can burn off more miles in less time.

The best is probably to do it when the weather is still cool ( 22C / 74F) and the lenght of daytime is long
Agreed! I was lucky and it was overcast. I don't think it ever got above 28C so it was enjoyable. It's definitely easier to stay alert during the day. Just have a read on the Iron Butt website's tips section. They have some good suggestions.
Now, enjoy your stay at Magdalen Island, the paradise on earth. ;)
I like to call it "The Bahamas of Canada". :D Actually just the fact that it's not a constant 35C, it's more like 22C, makes it enjoyable. everything else is a plus!

Top Bottom