Man! It's HOT down there!!

DaveH

Max Spying
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
While prepping my ST for a trip to Colorado next week I took the fairing off and this is what I discovered. Hmmmm Ahotplace.JPGAhotplace2.JPG

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That isn't supposed to happen. Wrapping the pipes will remove the symptom but not the cause.

You may have a cylinder running lean because of an intake leak or ignition problem (bad wire, bad plug, wrong gap, etc.). Remove the fairing, run the bike up to three bars and measure the temperature of each of the exhaust pipes. If there's one (or two on the same side) that are different, you have a problem.

--Mark

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
While prepping my ST for a trip to Colorado next week I took the fairing off and this is what I discovered. Hmmmm
Yes indeed, it do get hot down there. I don't think my tip-over covers are in that shape but I know from the melted plastic in the picture of my RH knock sensor that it gets a tad warm down there:

RHKnockSensormelting_zps8987e778.jpg

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Dave, it looks like you're showing pictures of both side fairings' inside surfaces, below the tip over covers being blistered from the heat? (Fred, '04 and later have the radiant shields inside the lower fairings, not on the inside of the side fairings.)

That's a lot of heat! I'd check the knock sensor wiring / connectors. Any mods to the bike? Do you get caught in stop and go traffic in the heat? It is suspicious that the exhaust pipes are getting that hot on both sides of the engine (or did one time).

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm thinking probably from letting it sit while running it. Hot day and no air circulation! :eek:4:

OP
OP
DaveH

DaveH

Max Spying
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm not sure when the blistering occurred, but I'm thinking that it may have happened when me and Li'l Bro (SupraSabre) took a quick trip to Oregon last year during the hottest days of the year. When we went thru Redding CA it was 117. At any rate I'm thinking of making a couple of heat shields out of sheet aluminum. I'll be pulling the plugs today to see if there is a problem there but the bike runs really well so I don't think there is a mechanical problem.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Dave, it looks like you're showing pictures of both side fairings' inside surfaces, below the tip over covers being blistered from the heat? (Fred, '04 and later have the radiant shields inside the lower fairings, not on the inside of the side fairings.)

That's a lot of heat! I'd check the knock sensor wiring / connectors. Any mods to the bike? Do you get caught in stop and go traffic in the heat? It is suspicious that the exhaust pipes are getting that hot on both sides of the engine (or did one time).
:doh1:I should have looked more closely at the picture. I thought it was the lower fairing.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My bike is a '03 with no heat shields on the fairing. It has never gotten that hot, even in the AZ desert with the outside temp at 112 degrees F.
Something ain't right. Not sure what, but I would suspect some sort of fueling (lean) condition.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I need to be more careful reading thread titles.... I thought you had a religious experience with a vision of somewhere warm!:eek:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I need to be more careful reading thread titles.... I thought you had a religious experience with a vision of somewhere warm!:eek:
He was in the US Army and National Guard for 20 years, I'm sure he expericed a few of those places! :rofl1:

Top Bottom