Manually changing tires?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I just returned home with 2 rears and a front strapped to the rack/rear seat along with all my camping gear. Need to go weigh it all but figure over 100 lbs including contents of the tank bag and panniers. Still much less than a passenger (figure 150 nominal, with ATGATT, plus hair dryer, curling iron, 4 pairs of shoes, etc, etc, etc.) :D

I have often carried a spare pair rather than change to new tars at home. Why waste all that remaining mileage? I get help as needed at car tire shops, usually happy to help for little cost, compared to "did you buy'em here?" that ya get at bike shops.

mjblair

TooTall
TooTall, I did carry an extra set of tires on my trip last Summer. We had mapped out many thousands of miles, some of which were in the middle of nowhere Canada and Alaska.

I once set for several hours in the Oregon desert waiting on a tow truck because I had a destroyed front tire that no one was goning to plug!

I know you have looked at a worn tire and wondered how much like was left in it,,,,well I wanted to be prepared if I mis-judged. Additionally these tires are not readily available and can cause a several day wait for them to be shipped in.

As we tow a popup trailer carrying them was no big deal. I ended up only using the rear tire, and had it changed in Tennessee at adealer.

It turned out we ended our trip after 9,000 miles and a wreck in Ft Nelson BC so never had a need for the front tire, it is still in the garage.
Wow, would have never thought you'd have had to do that. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom