Mark Kunath's passing aka Bigmak96 2021-08-07

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Hello everyone,

It is with a heavy heart that I'm reaching out to you all. This is Mark's son and I just wanted to make a brief post about his unfortunate passing early Friday morning. While I know he has not been very active within this group for a few years I know that he had MANY fond memories of riding with members of this group and have been enjoying sorting through all of his Iron Butt Association patches and other memorabilia, especially his Moonshine Lunch Run shirts.

If you have any stories you wish to share with me and his sister we would love to hear them. Thanks for helping him create some fond memories out on the road in his big yellow "big bird" riding suit.

Nick

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thanks for letting us know Nick. What I'll remember most his oversized smile, as big as he was . . . alway willing to lend a hand to help anyone who needed it. He was an accomplished rider and a joy to chat with over a meal or around an evening campfire. You're dad will be missed and remembered fondly by all who knew him.

Shuey Wolfe

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
So sorry to read this. I always looked forward to meeting him at the gatherings... the few at which I was privileged to know him.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Oh no! Heartbreaking.... Met Mark at Moonshine and though our paths crossed only briefly, I enjoyed our times together. I'm proud to say that I'm running his "Dark Side" conversion on my ST-1100, and that I literally just installed the clutch and brake levers that I purchased from Uncle Phil, that he originally purchased. These will always remind me of him.

Another rider gone too soon. Ride on, Big Mak...

Last edited:

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Nick, I am so sorry to hear this. May god rest his soul. Got to meet Mark on several occasions at events and MnSTOC. Great guy. My sympathies go out to you and his family.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very sorry to hear this, was hoping the upcoming surgery would provide some better news.

Great guy, definitely one of those guys you meet and you just feel like he's a friend after 20 seconds.

R.I.P. Friend

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Nick,
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Mark was a great guy and I have been fortunate to ride, eat, camp and laugh with him many times over the years. There are two stories that stick in my mind the most.

First one was at YooperSTOC when it was still at Danny K's (2011 I think). John Sisk and I were the only two awake and sitting by the fire. It had to be almost 0200 in the morning and things were pretty quiet. Across the red glow of embers left in the fire ring we see this large figure emerging from the darkness. It was Mark walking/stumbling up the hill in our direction. He was walking with his head low to the ground with his seven foot arms outstretched like outriggers. He tripped over one of the logs around the fire pit and his 6'8" frame was heading directly into the bed of coals. John and I immediately jumped up and reached for Mark. Somehow, Mark gathered his composure before he landed in the fire pit. He looked up at us, his hair mussed and smiled with the biggest of smiles and said "what's up guys". He never had a thought about landing in the coals. He had had a little too much to drink and fell asleep in a lawn chair in front of Danny's garage........something like four hours earlier. John and I figured he had eventually made his way to his tent.......guess not. John and I laughed at that story for years. That was also the year that he brought Mr. Happy with him. Let's just say that Mr. Happy felt a little violated by the time he returned home. Anyone that was at that event will remember. That was up there with the two most fun events I've ever attended......and I remember most of it:biggrin::biggrin:

Second one was at OzarkSTOC in Theodosia, MO. The day that most of us arrived to the event, Tom and Mark had been out riding. Several of us showed up and set up camp while they were out riding. While we were standing around visiting we see Tom and Mark ride up to the campsite. Tom parks his bike and Mark rides up behind. Mark stops, stands up and swings his leg over his ST 1100 and throws it to the ground while waving and shouting to us "hey guys". Of course, we stood there with our mouths wide open not believing what we had just witnessed. Little did we know that Mark had gone wide in a turn earlier in the day when following Tom and his bike was already trashed on one side. We couldn't see that side of the bike when he rode up to the campsite. Instead of parking normally and telling us about his crash Mark decided to do it with style.

Mark had a laugh larger than his Roadcrafter. He was always one of the members that RSVP'd to your event that you were happy to see on the list because you knew you were about to have a great time. I will never forget the time at ArkanSTOC when someone showed Dinkie's photoshopped pic of Keith's baby picture to him. I swear you can still hear his outburst of laughter echoing through those Ozark hills.

Mark, wherever you are, I hope you, Karl, Bruce and Papa are having fun riding on those eternal highways. We've lost too many family members lately. I will lift up a glass in your honor tonight.
Godspeed my friend,
Bug

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I am so sorry to hear this sad news Nick. I have met Mark several times at several events around the country and have ridden with Mark at several events. He was such a positive person and so full of life!! RIP my friend!!!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I’m sorry to hear the news. I met Mark, several times at ArkanSTOC and other events. He will be greatly missed.

John

Top Bottom