Marmot Ajax Tent-2 person three season question

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Has anyone here had one of these? I wonder if they do a good job. There is one here on craigslist for $80. It sells new for $180

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Marmot is my go-to brand for tents. I use a limelight 2 at the moment.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Since we're riding and not backpacking (where size and weight are critical), I would go for a larger tent, i.e. at least a 3 man. Better to have a little extra room than not. I have a 4 man and the extra room is great for my camp chair and all my gear. In reality, a 4 man is barely enough room for 3. The extra room is nice if you need to hang out for several hours during a hard rain.

A few recommendations...
  • clips instead of sleeves to attach the tent to the poles... much easier setup IMO.
  • two doors... promotes good airflow.
  • aluminum poles... they're lighter (easier to handle) and last longer.
  • make sure the fly covers all the way to the ground, all the way around.
Of course, these are my personal choices, but are at least some things to consider. Also, here's a good discussion on tents...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'll second everything @paulcb said. Think of it this way. You stop for the evening, set up your tent and unroll your sleeping bag on your thermarest. Your mc jacket and heavy pants are slung over your bike, helmet hung from the handlebars and it starts to rain. You grab everything and throw it in the tent, take off your boots under the fly and crawl in. Where did all the room go? That two person tent barely has room for you now. I have a 4 person tent just for me, and its great - I can just about stand up inside and getting dressed in the AM is not the lie-on-your-back-and-pull-your-pants-on struggle it used to be.

The Ajax appears to be discontinued by Marmot - its not on their website with their other tents and a search there comes up with 'no results for your search'. the two tents are very similar, but not identical. Marmot's says it has two vestibules, the off brand's footprint shows one. Regardless, Marmot is a premium brand and no doubt charges more for the name, as well as construction and features.

Last edited:

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
A huge difference in some of the Marmot tents are poles that are straight as opposed to curved at the lower end which creates more usable space by straightening up the lower 18 inches or so of the tent. If Kevin_56 says the 2 man with that feature is plenty big enough for him, believe it.

Greg

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
My last 2 cents. A 1 man tent is designed to SLEEP 1 man, a 2 man tent, 2 men, etc. If you want storage for all the crap we carry on a bike, yes, you must go up a size or two. Marmot has attempted to help with that by creating more usable space with their pole modification.

Greg

Top Bottom