MC Cruise - Holy Expensive Batman!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I was researching electronic cruise control options and checked the price of a new MC Cruise unit at mccruise.com. They must be real proud of their product to sell it at $1,002.39. I'm planning on doing a ride next summer to meet my Dad in Colorado and I'll be doing some slab time to get out there which is why I'm even considering the electronic cruise.

For those who have an MC Cruise, are they worth $1,000? I see folks are using the Audiovox unit and they cost a lot less. Would anyone be able to compare/contrast the two for me?

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I dont have the mc cruise I have the rostra unit which makes the audio vox i have now used this system on my last4 bikes. Rostra has a electronic or pneaumatic controler i use the electonic servo. fairly easy instal if you are mechanically inclined. For pricing info look up rostra.com and they will tell you to find your regiional ditstributer their is a pretty good link on this site talking about the cruise options. If you go with the rostra you will need the universal electronic cruise with control switch of your choice and i recomend a pulse divider four your spedo input and i got the divide by 4 divider and the whole system works great.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I have one of the Aussie's units and I couldn't be happier with it. Installed it 8 years ago and it's been flawless. Works just like an automobile unit. In my mind, it's well worth the price. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help out.

John

OP
OP
TripleJ
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I dont have the mc cruise I have the rostra unit which makes the audio vox i have now used this system on my last4 bikes. Rostra has a electronic or pneaumatic controler i use the electonic servo. fairly easy instal if you are mechanically inclined. For pricing info look up rostra.com and they will tell you to find your regiional ditstributer their is a pretty good link on this site talking about the cruise options. If you go with the rostra you will need the universal electronic cruise with control switch of your choice and i recomend a pulse divider four your spedo input and i got the divide by 4 divider and the whole system works great.
Is this the one you're using: http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
My Audiovox CCS-100 cost me $89. Other than a minor wiring issue (my own fault) it has worked well. But I'm a "frugal" kinda guy!

OP
OP
TripleJ
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
My Audiovox CCS-100 cost me $89. Other than a minor wiring issue (my own fault) it has worked well. But I'm a "frugal" kinda guy!
The Audiovox uses a vacuum canister, yes? What does that accomplish? I guess I really don't have a good understanding of electronic versus vacuum, or if that's even the right comparison.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
"Servo" cruise uses an electric motor to pull the cable, where a vacuum unit has a large diaphram that does the work. Both need some type of speed sensor to monitor (1100 uses ignition pulses, 1300 has a speed sensor) to decide if it's necessary to pull, hold or release the cable.

The additional vacuum canister is not necessary, but it does help the vacuum units function better when there is a big demand on the system (pulling hills at higher speeds). I fabricated a canister to fit in the "void" of my 1100's swingarm, thus utilizing otherwise wasted space.

HTH!

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
If you are looking at the Rostra, look for the thread in this section. That is what I used and am real happy with the rostra. Others have added info from their install. With the Gold Wing control, it looks like it came from Honda.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have MCCruises on all three of my ST1100 units. Great units and great support! But I did buy them back before the value of the US Dollar went in the toilet. The hookup on the ST1300 is a little easier than the ST1100 as you have to deal with the bell pulley on the carbs if you go AudioVox or Rostra. Rostras seem to get really good marks. At the time of my 'cruise' decision, I figured the MCCruise was only about $100 more than all the bits and pieces I would need for the Rostra. But back then, the MCCruises were about $550.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Like Uncle Phil, I bought my McCruise when they were less expensive -- March 2007 -- and was worth every penny.

The throttle is pulled open via a diaphragm canister that connects to manifold vacuum on one side, atmospheric pressure on the other. A Hall Effect sensor reading magnets in the Allen recesses of the rear disk bolts sends speed info to the computer under the rear seat. When the desired speed is reached, a bleed valve trims the manifold vacuum just enough to overcome the throttle return spring. You can see that diaphragm canister in my avatar in front of the rear shock preload knob.

The only problem I have experienced was trying to maintain speed at high altitude where atmospheric pressure was not high enough to overcome the throttle return spring.

I really like how it maintains set speed on a long downgrade. It will go so far as to completely close the throttle.

Last edited:
Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
I've had the MC for nearly 3 years and been totally pleased with it. I got in when they were still selling for sub $800. 1K is a big chunk of cheese, but you get what you pay for and the MC is without a doubt top shelf.

OP
OP
TripleJ
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have to decide if this is truly the way I want to go or just do the throttle-lock thing and save some dollars. Or, maybe the US dollar will rise in value as compared to the Australian dollar and then my problem will be solved for me! ;)

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
If you're on the fence about spending the money for CC, try the o-ring cruise. Cost is a buck (I have extras if you can't find them cheap)
It works well enough to give that right hand a good break!
Takes a bit to get used to turning "on and off", but I've made many 600 mi/day trips with it.

Top Bottom