MCCRUISE

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was having an issue with the MCCruise on one of my ST1100s.
I went through the diagnostic procedures they have and couldn't quite figure it out.
So I sent an email to them for some insight.
Before it was over with, Frank (the other founder is his brother Tony) called me here in Nashville from Australia to help me figure it out.
This was on a Saturday too.
Their support has always been excellent when I contact them and this is just another example.
And we got it sorted out so it works like it is supposed to now (I had somehow hosed the settings in the unit).
Their product may look 'high priced' but it works well and the support is excellent - which is worth a lot to me.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Could not agree more with you Phil. I've installed two of their units, one on my '03 and a second on Maggie's '05. Both worked flawlessly. I had a few installation questions with the first unit, phoned the boys down under and got the help I needed.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Has anyone connected the McCruise to another Honda switchpod?
I'm thinking GoldWing switch cluster (throttle side) or perhaps an ST police cluster?
Thanks.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The set speed function is on the accel button for the McCruise, and the set function is on the coast button for the Honda, not sure how one would deal with that.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have attached three photos. The Rostra and the GoldWing have the same control for dec/set but the McCruise uses acc/set. There is a difference so not sure if the GoldWing switch is compatible with McCruise.

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When I put the Rostra on my Nighthawk, I used the TrailTech 8500-RS switch pod:

1680555662717.png

Added: I didn't bother with a power switch, wiring it on when the bike is on, and I wired the center switch to ground the clutch wire through a micro-relay as a cancel switch that doesn't light up the brake light.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300
On the subject of the MC Cruise customer service, I was contemplating buying a used system from somebody once and I had a couple of questions pertaining to the system so I took a chance and emailed MC Cruise. I really didn't expect them to answer since I wasn't buying anything from them but surprisingly they answered me quickly with the questions that I had. I was impressed by that.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
perhaps an ST police cluster?
I think that is doable. You can then independently choose a button to do the function McCruise requires. There are no labels just switch numbers if I recall. You the operator will need to remember what switch you assigned for which function. Because the GW switch is labeled to do different functions, mainly the set and coast and acc, and resume functions would be reversed to perform the functions McCruise requires.
For the police switch you would need to create a harness and a common connector from the police switch to the McCruise corresponding wires, which can be done but time consuming. As UP said the switches that McCruise have on offer fit in nicely with the other controls, and thus cause you less grief.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
... Because the GW switch is labeled to do different functions, mainly the set and coast and acc, and resume functions would be reversed to perform the functions McCruise requires.
Not necessarily... It's possible to switch the pairing of the set, accel, resume and decel functions through settings on the control unit.

As delivered it's SET/ACC and RES/DEC which is opposite of every Honda 4-wheeler I've owned. You can change them to SET/DEC and RES/ACC with instructions which Tony Guymer from MC Cruise sent me. Not hard at all if you can follow directions.

Here's what Tony wrote followed by me parsing out the contents of the rightmost block of text. For those with an MC Cruise already this should familiar.

1680636423829.png
1 red flash = save On-Off.​
2 red flash = momentary or latched ON-OFF switch.
3 red flash = Accel-Deccel button setup.
4 red = button pullup on/off.​
5 red = SET button calibrate.​
6 red = RES button calibrate.​
7 = SET/RES button calibrate

I even made some P-Touch labels for the supplied switchpod since their most recent revision dropped the text for cryptic symbols (label since updated to swap the ACC and DEC on their respective buttons).

20210918_134612.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That is flipping awesome, @STRider!!
Whodathunkit?
I was originally going to cheap out and go the harder route with the Rostra, and fabricating or tweaking that little thingamajig cable connector / cam dealio, but I'm more inclined now to scrape together some more benjamins and do it the easy way.
Except for the additional outlay of quarters and dimes, this really seems the way to go.
With the added benefit of easier un-install should I ever decide to <GASP!> sell the ST. Don't worry, that will be a long ways off... I don't even have 100K miles yet. It's much too soon to even consider selling.
Seriously, this should work like a charm, using the GoldWing switchpod, and I thank you.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Just a heads up, the harness from the GW cruise switch pod is loooooong. I shorten mine considerably, however the cruise harness from the GW pod you can leave alone, it will also have a brake switch wire in the harness as well so it makes for an easier connection to the cruise harness. If you have an LED brake light in the circuit you will need a relay. (just to clarify my installation was on an 1100)

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
That is flipping awesome, @STRider!!
Whodathunkit?
I was originally going to cheap out and go the harder route with the Rostra, and fabricating or tweaking that little thingamajig cable connector / cam dealio, but I'm more inclined now to scrape together some more benjamins and do it the easy way.
You won't regret it @Sadlsor Considering how alien to any bike the MCCruise kit is, they've beautifully designed and engineered it to install seamlessly and remain completely out of sight but for their unobtrusive control pod. But that wouldn't be worth spit if it didn't work. And does. Perfectly

... If you have an LED brake light in the circuit you will need a relay. (just to clarify my installation was on an 1100)
For an additional $12AUD they build that into the kit.

Here's my revised label. Like?
20230404_223338.jpg

Top Bottom