MCN article on Tire changing stand

STOC #
Hi,
Just read the article and was curious if anybody uses this gizmo. Yes, no, maybe? Seems to me if I was starting from scratch (no tire tools) it would cost almost as much as Cycle hill tire changer kit. I wonder how well it works on a ME880 rear, which is a pain on the ST or Gold wing..

mitch

If you are going to do a proper stand type tool, I think you would be better off with the Harbor Freight setup (+all the accessories needed) or just get the Cycle Hill unit (the cheap one) + get a balancer...

That said however, technically, the absolute minimum tools needed:

3 tire spoons
3 rim protectors (little plastic lip protectors that clip onto rim, to protect it from scratches from the spoons)
1 wheel balancer rod setup (don't forget the stick on weights)
1 large c-clamp to break the bead (an extra c-clamp is handy)

Anything more is for convenience and perhaps safety.
Ofcourse you also have to be able to take the wheels off the bike too.

The stand in your link, looks like its a free standing thing, not sure how secure it would be when you're wrestling with the tire.
1st time around ('w minimal tools) I changed out my rear tire and had it on a piece of plywood so its not on the ground, but anything soft is good (carpet etc)

However, after my 1st tire change, I bought the Cycle Hill setup, much easier now.

The way I see it, you can either A: go the minimal tool way or B: get a proper motorcycle kit (HF, CH, NoMar)

Tazmool

Top Bottom