MCN on BMW Final Drive Failures

Not really off-topic. The latest Motorcyle Consumer News has an excellent report on BMW final drive failures. This might not have much interest on this forum (other than "Nya-ya-di-Nya-Nya!") except for the reference to bearing failures caused by a too-tight fit in the rear hub. Seems bearings are being stressed causing internal clearances to be too tight for proper lubrication. If rear drive bearing failures sound familiar... good, you've been paying attention on this forum!

This article is an interesting read even for non-BMW types. Great insights into the BMW Motorad corporate philosophy.

Pete :p:

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
i read the article and found it very interesting. glad we got their rocket scientists.....

DAS

STOC #
I find this topic of some interest. I watched my brother unpack and repack his spare final drive several times on our trip a month ago. He's had 2 fail on him and now packs an spare.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I've heard of carrying spare parts, but a spare final drive? I understand the motivation, but I think I'd sell the bike before I'd resort to that.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
I have a friend Neil, that rode his 1150 GS from Camarillo Ca to the tip of S. America , and no trouble whats so ever with his BMW, not even a flat tire. But I wouldn't own one,

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have a friend Neil, that rode his 1150 GS from Camarillo Ca to the tip of S. America , and no trouble whats so ever with his BMW, not even a flat tire. But I wouldn't own one,
The 1150 doesn't have the same final drive as the newer 1200s... they have the cool looking hole you can see through.. LOL

I have a friend with 140k+ on his 1150 GS and the final drive has never been an issue.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
This is a very sensitive issue for many BMW owners it seems. It irritates me about the FD issue since I have thought of getting an RT to go with my ST like Guy (bamarider) has. I won't do it though just because it would bug me to know that BMW has never and never will admit to any chronic issue or if fixed or not :mad:(surge issues as example). Since I have decided I can't make myself drink the kool aid :), I now could care less what BMW does even though I do sympathize with those left stranded or possibly injured from FD issues :(.

JDP

STOC #
Final drives on the 1150 are much more problems than the 1200. Newer ones are not perfect, but better than previous models

Bullmoose45

Bullmoose
Bike
ST 1300
:eek:Bmw final drives have been falling out for as long as I can remember, or at least since 99; when I got back into bikes.
The worst was the K12lt, the failure rate was very bad. I have always been amazed that the Bmw loyal customers keep buying them, knowing they stand a good chance of being stranded somewhere.
Hell I have one and if I really need to get some place on a time schedule I take my ST 1100.
Ken

Arizona

Marty Galison
STOC #
BMW Final Drive Failures

Just received my Motorcycle Consumer News.

It had a big article on the final drive failures for BMW. Basicly stated that BMW is in denial of any issues with the FD, BMW experts reported that issue is significant and that buyers are begining to shun BMW.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Re: BMW Final Drive Failures

Basicly stated that BMW is in denial ...
"What the Italians call 'character' the Japanese consider 'design flaws' and the Germans deny to their graves."

Larry Grodsky

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
STs have been know to fail Final Drives as well.

Doesn't make sense that engineers wouldn't take into account the metallurgical diff between aluminum (hub) and steel (bearing races). Seems like heat in the aluminum hub would _squeeeeeeeze_ the race in a ball bearing.

Anyone? Bueller?

Bike
Silver ST
I got tired of worrying about the final drive, the pivot bearings, the tranny input shaft and the ABS faulting. I sold my 1150GS and my 1100RT and bought a Road King. Naturally the other bike is only to supplement my ST1300.
robert

Top Bottom