Medicine Bear Died November 14, 2010

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
I was going through the post list looking for those who have disappeared... Yes,,, this is why I made the thread about me being in the Top #10,,, I really was,,, on a mission for good you see... I do this a few times a year but,,, I am sad to say,,, I found out that Medicine Bear had just as of Sunday passed away... :(

Here is the e-mail from Fred/Medicine Bear's Sister to me in response to asking how Fred was doing and hoping to hear from him again...

~~~~~~~

Hi Terry,

I don't know who you are, but if you have Border Collie in you, you must be good people. I am the sister of Fred Arbuckle (the recipient of the email that you sent the email to). I regret to tell you that my brother passed away quite suddenly this past Sunday afternoon 11/14/2011. Sorry to inform anyone this way……just thought you should know.

BTW, we've discovered on line that Fred was writing his memoirs, and yes, he was an excellent writer!

Stephanie
This is my response...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so sorry to hear this... Fred or as I knew him "Medicine Bear" was a much enjoyed poster on the ST-Owners motorcycle web site... Many of us got to meet Fred at functions,,, and though I never got to meet him,,, enjoyed yacking at him on line often...

I will let the ST-Owners.com site know about Fred and let me be the first of many who will be sending their thoughts and prayers your way...

I hope we can stay in touch because you might be amazed at how many knew/loved Medicine Bear in person and online...

Here is a poem that came to me in church one Sunday and I was almost made,,, to write it down... This is the exact words I wrote on the back of my program that day... Many I know,,, Ride Along with me,,, and Fred/Medicine Bear' will also be along with me too...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We all know someone,,, Who No Longer Rides With the Wind…

It may be their Decision,,, or it was Death that Brought the Riding to an End…

Because of the Curves you shared,,, or the Sunsets you both took in,,, just take a Moment and Remember that they now Ride only Within…

When you are Standing at the Summit of Montana’s Glacier Park…

Enjoying the Curves of the Blue Ridge Parkway’s Smoky Beauty as the fog rolls into itself…

Or when you smell the Ocean Breeze on Highway # 1 along the California Coast…

Just know where ever you are they Too,,, are Riding Along With the Wind…

Our lives are just as long as a Blink,,, in the Big Cosmic Time-line Thing…

We all can strive that we make a difference in others Lives and that we bring Happiness to them…

So when our time is over,,, and we are not riding anymore…

We all can just hope to be carried along,,, to again,,, Ride along with the Wind...

Terry Hammond,,, aka,,, Austin city limits...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got a post back from Stephanie... I will post it her by her request...

After the other day,,, I posted this...

> Hi again Stephanie...
>
> Just wanted you to know again how sorry I and many riders are who knew
> Fred... There is a thread over on the ST-Owners where those who wished could
> post about Fred,,, and how sorry they are to see him gone... If there is
> anything we can do,,, just let me know...
>
> If you want to see the thread,,, go to this link...
>
> https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94083
>
> Terry Hammond,,, aka,,, Austin City Limits
Which got this reply back to me...

Terry,
Thanks so very much for sending this to us. (Arlene, Mark, and me)
I read every post with tears streaming down my face and was so very touched that Fred had so many friends (even those he hadn't met yet) whose lives he touched in various ways. I have printed out the posts (at the request of his wife) because she wants to have some of them read when she has the "celebration of life" party for Fred in Houston at a later date. FYI, Fred did not want a funeral, but a eat, drink, and be merry party. If any one of his friends would like to be included in the Houston party, (I don't know where you all live), please email at fredarbuckle@comcast.net or call me at ***-***-**** and I will add your information to the list.

Fred will certainly be missed by us all.
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, prayers, and concerns.
Terry, I don't know how, but if you wouldn't mind to post this on the thread for me, I sincerely would appreciate it.

With a heavy & hurting heart,
Stephanie Arbuckle Miller, Arlene Arbuckle, Mark Garcines
~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I just sent this back to Stephanie...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephanie,,, you are not alone in shedding a tear now... I will be honored to post this,,, and so glad you saw this as a good thing and how Fred is truly like a Brother to those of us who loved to ride like Fred did...

I will call you at a later date,,, and not so late of time to be added on the Contact list for Fred's Celebration of Life... I might not have met Fred,,, but he sounds like my twin as that is how I would want it...

Thank you,,, and again,,, thanks for sharing Fred/Medicine Bear with us,,, as we too are Family...

Terry
You all have done a very good and kind/thoughtful thing... :bow1: Thank you all... I will keep you informed with anything I hear back from them...

But,,, those who feel the need,,, post here and/or to,,,

fredarbuckle@comcast.net
:bow1:

If you feel it in yourself,,, go ahead and e-mail to his sister who is answering Fred's e-mail... Many who do not know how many friends we have on line are taken,,, with the concern and outpouring from those they never knew...

fredarbuckle@comcast.net

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Medicine Bear Died November 14th...

RIP Fred.. wow, that one was a surprise... he was a great guy to talk to. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Didn't know Fred, but one more death means one less of us. RIP, Medicine Bear.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

What a shock! RIP! Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Added this pic to the 1st post. The pic was back in 2008.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

So sorry to hear about this. Thank you Terry for posting this. Rest in peace Medicine Bear.

:usflag1:

Wow, I'm shocked. Been awhile since he has posted. Only met him once, even though we lived fairly close to each other, at one of lddaves Bar-b-que runs in Taylor Texas a few years ago after his wreck. Mike (ToroGuy) caged up there and brought Medicine Bear along because he was still recovering. Godspeed Medicine Bear.

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #

Oh man,

I was wondering why I had not heard from him in a while. I took Lana to meet him shortly before he headed west after his leg healed.

I am going to miss Fred and all his airline stories, that night in Golden is never to be forgotten. :(

Chris

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #

Oh man,

I was wondering why I had not heard from him in a while. I took Lana to meet him shortly before he headed west after his leg healed.

I am going to miss Fred and all his airline stories, that night in Golden is never to be forgotten. :(

Chris

Yeah, Fred is up there telling stories until 0 dark thirty. He was a heck of a guy!!

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #

Wow, sorry to hear of his passing. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

John & Maggie

Bike
04ST1300A
STOC #

Oh man,

Chris
Funny, I only met him once or twice and remembered that night in Golden also.

His stories were a riot.

Godspeed Fred.

--Bryan
04ST1300A
:04biker:

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #

Wow, that's a surprise...RIP Medicine Bear!

Do I remember his wife? Arlene, maybe? My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Ride on, Medicine Bear!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Godspeed.

Fred was one of us, one of those people I consider a fellow rider though I never had the privilege to meet him.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

I never met Fred but wish I had. I made a point of readng his posts - he struck me as a smart, funny and caring guy.

My condolences to his family.

Top Bottom