Melting Temperature Gauge

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
On my newly acquired ST1100, I notice that the plastic had started to melt, right under the temperature gauge.
At first, I thought that a previous owner had probably burnt it with a cigarette. But then, I saw some dashboard on ebay, burnt at the same place.
Now that the bike is finally home, I will have a close look at this. The surronding also seemed to have been a bit overheated, to the limit of melting.

Maybe an inadequate light bulb, or, a ground problem, underneat the dashboard ?
Anyone have encountered this problem before ?
20200603_101503.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Look up sun scorched wind screen/ dashboard. Somewhere I read something about sun being intensified from the rear and focusing a magnifying glass style beam at the dash. Like when parked at the wrong angle and it has time to cook. Just a vauge memory.....
ToddC

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
A lot of the 1100 have a deformed mark in that location but I've never seen one to that extent. Looks like it got pretty hot to bubble like that. I don't buy into any of the "sun" stories. I live in Florida and mine spend a lot of time in the sun headed in any and all directions. Some have it some don't.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'd agree it's from the windscreen focusing sunlight on the dash like a magnifying glass when everything aligns in the right (wrong) ways.

If it was heat from something underneath you'd not see the rough marks, only the deformity. The marks in the melted bits tell the tale of the heat being from above.

Maybe it's Honda's example of a freckle. :)

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Similar to @Ron. I live in a very hot place and have not had that problem.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
It's not how hot the weather is it's how you angle the Bike/Windscreen. Think of a magnifying glass and the curved windscreen.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
When I park my bike, probably the last thing on my mind is where is the sun? I ride to work and the bike sets out in the sun all day. It has been parked at every degree mark, all 360 of them, at one time or another. I never had the privilege of buying one new so maybe it is a stock shield that causes the problem. I use a Rifle shield that goes on as soon as I get the bike. None of the ones that had a deformity got worse and the ones that weren't deformed, got deformed. Anyone know what's behind the dash at that place?

Bike
ST1100AY
I'm pretty sure that if it was heat/sun related I would have seen it over here in the Middle east, neither of my bikes have any damage and they were police for several years.

It looks more like it was used as a cigarette holder !!

Edit: just realised the screens on my bikes are tinted so that would minimise the sun effect

Last edited:

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Maybe one would need be at a higher latitude for a more consistent angle alignment with the sun.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yep. Add me to the club. Funny Honda did not change the material of the dash to eliminate this. Oh well the rest of the bike is so perfect i can live with this.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yep, I've seen this on both of my ST11s and several others as well, in varying degrees. I will say though, none that I've seen are near as bad as the OPs.

The Cheese

Back when I smoked I would put a lit cigarette there regularly. Heard of others doing the same. It's a feature!

I'd say its 50/50. Sun or cigarette.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have the same mark on my gauge as well + a much smaller ones on the edges of the speedo and tach. Bike parked in full sun sun pointing east for afternoon for the temp gauge meltdown. The others no clue. Something to do with the curve of the windshield, the angle of the sun etc........ I guess. Every once in a while everything lines up and "poof"

IMG_7582.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChriSTian_64
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
My engine got so hot, my temperature gage started to melt. hi hi.

I never thought the sun could be responsible. And didn't thought that was a common problem, eventough not everyone has experience this.
There is so many different windshield brand, lenght...
Unless it is the sun and the lens of the gage itself ? Is it flat or convex or concave ?

Top Bottom