Metzeler ME888 on an ST1300

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I have about 7,400 miles on my current set of Bridgestone T31GT's, so I'll be looking at new tires before long.

Recently, I noticed that Metzeler is now offering the ME888 in front and rear sizes for the ST1300 - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/metzeler-me888-marathon-ultra-tires

As I'm more of a high-miler than a haul-asser, I focus more on getting the most mileage out of a set of tires. Over the years (and on different bikes), I've used Shinko 712's, Dunlop 404's, E3 and E4s, Michelin Commander II and PR2's, Avon Cobras, and now Bridgestone T31GT's. I'm open to trying different tires.

Has anyone used the 888 on an ST1300 yet? If so, what were your thoughts? And what's the going word on Metzelers in general on the ST13? I've never used Metzeler tires before.

I have not on my st, but its all i ran on my vtx. Get 15000 pretty easy.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
No experience with the 888, had the 880's. Did not like. Horrible in rain and followed snakes way too much.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Seems to me I recall reading someone else asking about these. Go to Forums > ST Forums > Technical > Tires, Wheels > Metzler

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
As I'm more of a high-miler than a haul-asser, I focus more on getting the most mileage out of a set of tires. Over the years (and on different bikes), I've used Shinko 712's, Dunlop 404's, E3 and E4s, Michelin Commander II and PR2's, Avon Cobras, and now Bridgestone T31GT's. I'm open to trying different tires.
No insight on Metzeler , I haven't had my St1300 long enough to go through a few different brands. I replaced the older bridgestone T20 I believe with bridgestone T31. No issues for me.
I too like tire longevity, but also admire the price tag. :)

How did you like your Michelin Commander tires? I heard they lasted a long, long time.

OP
OP
Shawn K

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
How did you like your Michelin Commander tires? I heard they lasted a long, long time.
Had them on my GL1200. They were the best of the three different tires I tried on that bike (E3, Avon Cobra, and Commander II). I could get 18-20K miles out of them pretty reliably (the key is correct tire pressure). The thing I liked the most about them was that their wet weather feedback was very similar to their dry feedback. The Avons I had would go silent in the wet (meaning a sort of "disconnected" feel), and the E3's... well, the less said about those, the better.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have been using the Metzeler Roadtech-01 HWM,, and the Metzeler Interact Z8 M-spec front for the past couple of sets. This is the best combination of tires I have ridden on the ST13,, and I have a new set, in the basement, ready to install mid summer. They run longer and perform better than other premium tires that I have tested. And I always point out that "they should excel",,, as they are premium priced. Last week,, when I was ordering that new Z8 front from Pete's Superbike,,, he told me that the Z8 series was going to be phased out,, and fully replaced by the new Roadtech models. For me,,, this is unfortunate,,, as Metz currently does not have a 120 wide 18" front tire in that model. And the Z8 M-spec is the best front tire I have found,,, as I find I am kind of hard on front tires. So I ordered a second Z8 front,, and should be covered till the end of 2021's season (riding about 25,000km per season). Cheers, CAt'

Bike
2010 ST1300
I saw several threads about the prior ME880, nothing on the 888.
Sorry, I probably confused the 880 w/ the 888. I use Pirelli Angel GT's and got 12,500 on the front, and 7,125 on the rear (could have squeezed out another 1000 or 1500 miles, but I like to do my down time in the winter, and not in the riding season).

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I use Pirelli Angel GT's
The Pirelli Angel GT A-spec rear ran very well for me as well. Lasting nearly as long as the Roadtech-01, however, It was not quite as good in the rain. The GT front however,,, did not hold up nearly as well, in my experience,, and it died an early death,, cheers,, CAt'

ps: unfortunately,,, it looks like the ST13's front tire size will no longer be available in the either the GT line of the newer GT-II's. The 120 wide 18" front tire sizes seem to be drying up from the performance premium tire builders new line ups.

OP
OP
Shawn K

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
try to tell that to a darksider
Not gonna bother. I said one negative comment about darksiding one time, and got deleted within 10 minutes and reprimanded. It appears that you're not allowed to express a dissenting opinion about certain things.

I'll just say "no thanks" and stick with motorcycle tires.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
No experience with the 888, had the 880's. Did not like. Horrible in rain and followed snakes way too much.
Same for me. The 880 was the scariest tire I ever ran, by far. It would lose traction in rain during braking (even with ABS!) or while cornering at unexpected moments, and was squirrely on any hint of dust/grit. Thankfully the 880 was on the rear of my bike and I survived each such pucker moment given dirt-biking 'memory'. I swore off Metzler 880's forever, and tossed mine about half used up. Granted, at that point it had as many miles as I got from other brand's true sport touring tire. But it was round and would seem to be fine on dry, straight roads where you used gentle braking--it was a freeway tire at best. It had very poor traction compared to all other tires, not to be trusted if you needed strong braking or anything approaching emergency maneuvering. I hated it for Colorado mountain riding.

If Metzler is promoting the 888 as a high mileage tire, just as they did with the 880, I'd not put one on my bike. Just not worth a wreck.

Top Bottom