Metzler tire has a wear indicator

Last week I read in a tire thread that guys weren't going to buy a Metzler tire because they didn't have a wear indicator in the center of the tire. Well I went and looked at my rear Metzler 880 and sure enough there is a raised letter "TWI" on both sides of the tire. Right in the center of that location there is a Tread Wear Indicator bar! There is only one indicator per tire so you have to look for the TWI letters to make it easy.

Bike
2008 Goldwing
As far as I know, tread wear indicators are a Federal requirement. All tires should have them.

Byron

STOC #
I don't think it is the 880 that they were referring to but the Z6. The Z6 does not have a tire tread that goes across the center of the tire and people are hitting cord before they realize it. Apparently with a lot of slab riding the center will wear out before the wear bar on the sides gets close.

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Agree with Bryon here.....my Z6 has no indicators on the rear that are pronounced enough without close study, there are some holes off to the side but nothing to indicate center wear ...at all. I'll admit there is alot of rubber in the center of that tire though, kinda glad they make a round tire, tire balance is good so far. Since this is the 1st radial I have ever tried it'll be interesting to see what I get off the rear. Most of the riding I do is commute on the interstate. I look at these tires alot and check pressures prolly twice a week.....jus' a habit I got into a long time ago. If my memory works correctly I'll post what milage I get out of the tires.

Ride safe Ed

Last edited:

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Tread wear indicator? It's called an eyeball! Pretty easy to tell the difference between a new tread and a worn out tread. I sure don't need a government mandated indicator to tell me that the tire is worn out.

STOC #
I don't have Z-6's but my drag tires even have wear indicators. Just a little notch in the center of the tread in one spot just big enough so that you can stick a depth guage in to check depth to the carcass. They also have an indicator arrow on the sidewall for its location.

DISCLAIMER: According to another site:

Look on the rear Z6 sidewall their is a TWI mark

and wear bars in the tread sipes:

Yes.....I am a forum Ho :oops: , Spencer

Last edited:
Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
I had a set of Z6's. yes they have TWI's but since the center lacks a crossing tread it goes from that tire looks like it has some miles left to oh crap there is cord showing... DAMHIKT... I wont put another z6 on the rear. Currently running STorms and love them.

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Hey thanks Spencer.....I'll go out and look again....I didn't even think about looking down at the side wall. Now I'll know what to look for......right after I get in the refer and have a :beer8: :beer8: well maybe a couple....it's 102 here.

EJ :D

STOC #
???
I don't have Z-6's but my drag tires even have wear indicators. Just a little notch in the center of the tread in one spot just big enough so that you can stick a depth guage in to check depth to the carcass. They also have an indicator arrow on the sidewall for its location.

DISCLAIMER: According to another site:

Look on the rear Z6 sidewall their is a TWI mark

and wear bars in the tread sipes:

Yes.....I am a forum Ho :oops: , Spencer

I can't find any of those marks on the side of my 880's. Of course the edges are a little ragged...
KZ

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Last week I read in a tire thread that guys weren't going to buy a Metzler tire because they didn't have a wear indicator in the center of the tire. Well I went and looked at my rear Metzler 880 and sure enough there is a raised letter "TWI" on both sides of the tire. Right in the center of that location there is a Tread Wear Indicator bar! There is only one indicator per tire so you have to look for the TWI letters to make it easy.
Thx for the tip. Was wondering about that!

I just replaced my Z6/880 with only 7400 miles, because of a trip coming up, and was wondering how much life they actually had left.

A first dealer said they did not have enough left for a ride back home from his shop (40 miles..!)....and a second one said they were shot but if they were his he would go another 500 to 1000 miles, and a third one said about 2000 miles.

Checking the TWI you pointed out:

--The Z6 had 1.1 mm thread left to the TWI. Depth to TWI new is 3.3, which equates to about 2500 miles left on this tire.

- The 880 had 1.8 left vs 5.8 new, which is 2300 miles.

So the third dealer was close. I kept the tires as spares.

Good to see that the Z6/M880 combo seems to wear quite evenly.

Top Bottom