Metzler Z6s - not impressed

Well, not entirely true. They are OK for grip, but the tyres themselves are much much lighter than the 020s that came off. I can only put my issue down to that - they make the bike easy to wobble & weave at speed. I know this is rider input that causes this as if you let go the bars the weave will disapear. The same is true on BT020s but is much less noticable. I am finding I can no longer keep the screen raised at high speed as the small amount of upper body movement this allows helps to exascerbate the problem.
Can't wait for the Metzlers to wear out & I'll be back to 020s - even though I suffered the cracked tread issue. :(

OP
OP
nisbeam
Yes, I'm running 42psi. It is only really noticable with the screen up at speed over 70mph on a windy day. Unfortunately that is most what we have here at the moment. So today I will have to go home in the wind and rain with the screen down or at a slower pace. OK - I suppose it keeps me at legal speeds anyway. :rolleyes: :03biker:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
nisbeam said:
Well, not entirely true. They are OK for grip, but the tyres themselves are much much lighter than the 020s that came off. I can only put my issue down to that - they make the bike easy to wobble & weave at speed. I know this is rider input that causes this as if you let go the bars the weave will disapear. The same is true on BT020s but is much less noticable. I am finding I can no longer keep the screen raised at high speed as the small amount of upper body movement this allows helps to exascerbate the problem.
Can't wait for the Metzlers to wear out & I'll be back to 020s - even though I suffered the cracked tread issue. :(
Hmmm, had this same problem with the old MEz2s and 4s on my 1100 - very wiggly in turbulent air such as when following a large truck or riding or in fast moving but busy traffic. The instability was only noticable in vertical running. Once the bike started to lean into a corner the tires locked in nicely and handled really well in the twisties. I was happy to be be rid of the Z2s and was reluctant to try the 4s but there were a lot of positive comments about them on the ST1100 liST so I tried them. For me it was a mistake as the same instability I'd noticed with the Z2s was back. As a result I have not and will not try the Z6s. Besides the instability all of the Dunlops, Bridgestones and Avon Tires I tried on my 1100 lasted longer than the Metzelers.

Tires are a very subjective thing and for someone who rides mostly in remote areas with twisty roads and little traffic they may be perfect.

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have Z6's both front and rear. Love em so far (2000 miles). I run 42/42 F/R.

One thing I noticed was that I had to adjust my suspension. The front felt light until I adjusted the suspension. Apparently it's usually suspension that makes your front end feel light. The suposition seems to be true and it worked for me.

On corners these tires are amazing. A little too good !! Not much of a chicken strip left on my tires!!

OP
OP
nisbeam
Z6s - or not !

Intersting point CRZNDOG. What changes did you make to your suspension ?
I was wondering about that, also the possibility of a fork-brace or even steering damper. Tyres are great apart from this over-light feeling at the front :eek:4: . Thanks, Andy.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Z6...I replaced my 1ST Z6 FRONT 2 weeks ago. That 1ST one always had the dreaded 40 mph wobble and handled ok. I had no previous 6 to compare but had some 4's and it was similar.
My new Z6 is a different tire. No wobble and the handling characteristics are different. A very nice tire. I had thought about not using another 6 'cuz the 1ST left me cold but this newbee is 'the' tire.
I did not check the build date on the firST one but this one is about 6mos. old.
There is a diff.
I've had 3 Mez4's and one had a slight wobble.

THIS Z6 handles great. I use a ME880 rear btw.

STOC #
Tyres, tires, tars?

I used up a set on my 1100 before trading for the 1300. They were wiggly for the 1st 100 miles or so, then I got used to them I guess. Great tire for the 1100. Down side, they were toast in 6k miles.

I'm about to put the second set of BT020s on the 1300 @7300miles. May go 8000 before the change but, they're at the wear bar right now. I do ride 2 up 80% of the time so my mileage is a couple of k less than most that ride single. Overall, I like the BT020s except for the mileage.

The Z6-880 combo may be my next choice. What are the negatives? My goldwing buddies say their 880s howl like crazy coyotes, but get great mileage.

OP
OP
nisbeam
Thanks guys. I will crank up the rear preload and see if it works. Failing that I am going to replace both Z6s and go back to BT020s (after a week and 900 miles) - they are that bad. I do a lot of high speed long distance miles commuting. What used to be fun, gliding along with the screen up when necessary is no longer possible. I can only go over 70mph with the screen fully down, and I have moved it back to the lower position as well. Tomorrow I'll be using my FZ1 instead, at least it goes in a straight line at speed. :eek::

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
I have used the BT020 for three sets and don't understand the need to constantly experiment with tires. The Bridgestones get me great mileage and handle well. What reason could I possibly have to change brands :confused:

number9

I just mounted a set of Z6's on my ST1100. 110/80 front and 170/60 rear. I will let you know how I like them when it gets warmer around here.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
curmudgeon said:
I have used the BT020 for three sets and don't understand the need to constantly experiment with tires. The Bridgestones get me great mileage and handle well. What reason could I possibly have to change brands :confused:
3 sets on an '05 is quite remarkable.

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I adjusted the preload up 1 line (3 clicks ?) and it definitely seems more stable. The other thing was that they came with 36/36 psi from the shop which was waaaay too soft. It made the bike feel really mushy and non responsive. Before these I had stock Dunlops which annoyed me on the rain grooves. Metz's are better in that respect.

I've hear good reports about the Bridgestone BT020's as well. Some people claim they are equally as good as the Metz's and have longer life at a lower cost. I might try them out next since I do a reasonable amount of slab work also.

OP
OP
nisbeam
My 020s lasted for 9000 miles & I could have squeezed a bit more out of them but the rear was very squared off so I decided to change. From past experience of 020s they seem to go very square once they start, I found other makes wear a little (but not much) more evenly. Also had a few "moments" when the rear just let go and stepped out - it always grips again but not a nice feeling. Other tyres give a more progressive warning of reaching the limit of grip. However, I am talking about in line 4s, not the smooth V4 of the ST1300. I found the 020s superb in terms of grip, and confidence inspiring. I just wondered if I could do better but the Z6s have spoiled the balance of the bike at speed completely. I have decided to replace them even if the pre-load fixes the problem. After all, if it make the bike more stable with Z6s, it would be even better with 020s fitted ! ;)
A good lesson that differnt tyres behave quite differently on different bikes. :roll:

OP
OP
nisbeam
Z6s

Just to update (and be fair on Metzler). I have cranked up the rear preload - what a difference ! Wobble & weave seem to have gone completely, although I still need to test in cross-wind situations. ;-)
It is amazing how this bike differs from other I have owned in terms of set-up.
I have had many bikes over 30+ years of riding and it looks like I have to start learning all over again. Still, great bike, great fun.
Interesting to see tyre wear front/rear seems to be even on the ST unlike any other bike I have owned. That was true of tyre life (i.e.wear rate) on my last set. Also now on the Z6s there is an almost even amount of tread left untouched due to cornering, on front and rear, not what I'm used to seeing (we call them chicken strips in the UK by the way). So far less than 1/2 inch left to go and still no peg-scraping, (though I am a skinny 11 1/2 stone so not much compression on the suspension). :03biker:

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Nisbeam, got my chicken strips to about 1/2" on the Metz's. Still no peg scraping but I'm sure I was close. The bike felt like it had glue on the tires (tyres). I'll be buggered if I'm gonna take it over much further!! Forgive me if I'm losing my Britishness a bit with my spelling! I've been out here in California for nigh on 8 years now!!

Bike
FJR1300
STOC #
Nisbeam & CruisingDog:

If you've got 1/2" of unused rubber remaining on the edge of your tires, you haven't even BEGUN to explore the limits of the mighty ST13.

As NM6R (Ray) once posted, when you're dragging the footpeg and the audible sound changes dramatically, you'll know that you've graduated to grinding off the black plastic lower cowl.

On the left side, you'll also grind off the outer edge of the shifter rubber, (it will actually spin around chewing it off all the way around) and the bottom of the shift lever. On the right side, the bottom of the brake pedal gets the trim job. And last but not least, the edge of the centerstand will on occasion drag the ground also. That is the limit of the ST's cornering ability. :D

The amount of stones (at least when referring to weight) has little to do with whether the ST will drag the ground in hard cornering. You're (Nisbeam) 11.5 stones which equals about 161 pounds. I'm 147 pounds, about 10.5 stones.

Don't ask me how I know all this. ;)

Last edited:

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Gary,

WOW! What more can I say :bow1: . Gonna stay with what I'm comfortable with on the streets/twisties. Maybe a track day is in order!!!

I haven't ground the black plastic yet, but the pegs have touched down on both sides. The ST was stable through it all. :D More frightening is how easily my 10 1/2 boots will scrape. :eek: I have to very carefully position my feet on the pegs. I'm happy with my Dunlop OEMs but am looking forward to try the Metz 6 and 880 combo. :03biker:

Top Bottom