Metzler Z6s - not impressed

OP
OP
nisbeam
Z6s

Gary - spurred on by your comments I have almost removed my chicken strips now. Think I'll wait for some warmer weather before trying to be too adventurous. Good confidence building post - Thanks. :03biker:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
BlueRidgeBentAero said:
The amount of stones (at least when referring to weight) has little to do with whether the ST will drag the ground in hard cornering. You're (Nisbeam) 11.5 stones which equals about 161 pounds. I'm 147 pounds, about 10.5 stones.
Weight does matter in respect to how puch preload you have to enter to keep from dragging. If I leave the preload at the "std" position I will drag easily. I normally have preload at two lines off max (~15 clicks). If I do not add more preload when loaded up for a tour (saddle bags full) then I will drag things I would not normally drag. I weigh 215lbs. For my speed and my preload setting, I never really touch anything except the side of my boot.

Bike
FJR1300
STOC #
There is one particular road near me where I can consistently drag the plastic. It just has a perfect sweeping arc. I've done it with a full load of fuel and very little fuel. Several riders have commented that I probably have my preload set too soft. (C'mon, I weigh less than 150 lbs.!) Last Saturday it scrapped again with the preload cranked ALL the way in. I'm beginning to think my spring is abnormal in that it just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference where it's at. I'm so confused! :eek:

BTW, Saturday's blast up the hill was with a Z6 rear that had about 40 miles on it. I had just replaced the Avon AV46ST since the tread halfway between the left-outer edge and the centerline simply disappeared in only 4,000 miles. It seemed fine one day, and 250 miles later it was just... gone. Though the center still had plenty of life in it, the "layed over" portions looked like a road race slick. Oh well, it was an experiment using the Avon anyway. It gets a no vote.

So far, I really like the feel of the Z6

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
BlueRidgeBentAero said:
There is one particular road near me where I can consistently drag the plastic. It just has a perfect sweeping arc. I've done it with a full load of fuel and very little fuel. Several riders have commented that I probably have my preload set too soft.

So far, I really like the feel of the Z6
The majority of the fuel is in the upper tank and that is forward of where you sit. Weight that is halfway between the front and rear axel is equally distributed. A majority of the riders weight goes in the rear tire. Nearly all, possibly all, the saddlebag and passenger weight is on the rear tire. All the topbox weight is on the rear tire. I weigh about 65lbs more than you. The upper gas tank is about 5.5 gallons. At about 6.5lbs per gallon, you do the math and that weight is further forward than my extra 65.

At about 15 clicks off max on preload I am at about 1/3 compressed on the rear suspension travel (difference between on the center stand and not). Max rear travel I take from the specs.

Let the list know how the Z6 rear lasts for you.

Top Bottom