Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I have a different opinion..

At the moment have Michelin and it is my favourite brand for car tyres. but as stated before now I have the "wobble and weave" effect which I didn't had with the Bridgestone.

Although I recognise that Michelin is an excellent tyre it could be that just doesn't "fit" the bike, or doesn't fit my riding style.
Im certainly no expert as I have just purchased an 05 1300 and have not even picked it up yet. I thought I read somewhere that the st 1300 has a specific order that the fornt wheel must be mounted or tightened or something? If done wrong you can get a wobble / weave. Is this an issue after changing tires?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I read somewhere that the ST 1300 has a specific order that the front wheel must be mounted or tightened or something?
You are correct, there is a very specific (and very detailed) procedure that has to be followed when installing the front wheel of a ST 1300. The procedure is very well explained, step by step, on the attached "Assembly Instructions". This document refers to a 2008 ST, but I believe that the process is the same for all ST 1300 motorcycles from 2002 to present.

See page numbers 7 to 9 inclusive of the attached document (pages 10 to 12 if you refer to the Adobe PDF page numbering system). Note carefully that you will tighten the left pinch bolts once, and then have to loosen them and tighten them again, a second time, after doing a few things in between the two left bolt tightening procedures.

What effect it has on wobble or weave I do not know, but front wheel tracking will be degraded if the procedure is not followed exactly.

Michael

Attachments

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1300 can exhibit a pull or tendency to drift to the right if the procedure is not followed when mounting the front wheel but the wobble/weave is an entirely different thing.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
You are correct, there is a very specific (and very detailed) procedure that has to be followed when installing the front wheel of a ST 1300. The procedure is very well explained, step by step, on the attached "Assembly Instructions". This document refers to a 2008 ST, but I believe that the process is the same for all ST 1300 motorcycles from 2002 to present.

See page numbers 7 to 9 inclusive of the attached document (pages 10 to 12 if you refer to the Adobe PDF page numbering system). Note carefully that you will tighten the left pinch bolts once, and then have to loosen them and tighten them again, a second time, after doing a few things in between the two left bolt tightening procedures.

What effect it has on wobble or weave I do not know, but front wheel tracking will be degraded if the procedure is not followed exactly.

Michael
Thank you very much!

Bike
09 ST1300A
I just received a new front PR4 GT and will install it soon. Here are photos (taken today) of my current PR4 GT, it is worn to wear bars and worn more on the expected left of center side. It has 15,300 miles on it.

PR 4 GT.JPG PR4GT.JPG

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I just received a new front PR4 GT and will install it soon. Here are photos (taken today) of my current PR4 GT, it is worn to wear bars and worn more on the expected left of center side. It has 15,300 miles on it.

PR 4 GT.JPG PR4GT.JPG
Pretty good mileage I would say. I love this tire as well

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
15,300 miles is remarkable longevity for a PR4GT front tire. I usually get about 10,000 miles out of them - but I have a habit of replacing them just before the wear bars appear, this so I don't have to replace a tire during a long road trip.

I am very happy with the PR4GTs - their wet traction, handling, and long life tick all the boxes for me.

Michael

Top Bottom