Michelin PR2ct or Metz ME880 for the rear?

Bike
FJR1300
All readers with opinions welcome.
I think I have my choices boiled down to Michelin Pilot Road 2ct (duel compound technology, I suspect) or the Metzler ME880 (various ratings for these R, V, etc, not sure what I must do here).
What is your opinion of these tires? If you have used one but not other, what has your experience been with the one? How many miles have they lasted you? Would you buy them again? How is the handling, in your opinion, on wet and or dry surfaces?
If it is your opinion that these two choices suck, then why? what would you recommend?

What I am looking for is the best bang for the buck (who isn't, I guess), longest possible mileage and trust in the performance of the tire as you lean over through a turn, rubbing your boot tips along the way.

I would never put Metzlers on a bike as heavy as the ST. I have run them on my vmax and they were good tires, no problems. However on the heavier bikes like my Venture (860lbs) a lot of people seem to have problems with them throwing chunks of tread off long before wearing out the tread. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Bike
ST 1300
I'm all in favor of the Pr2's ..I find the turn in very good , the handling in the rain good, and the mileage seems good. I have over 7000 miles on this set and their doing just fine.

Ran the ME880 ONCE. Was looking for better miles but didn't get it. I would rather have a great tire that performs over the ME880..

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I've not tried the ME880, but I really prefer the PR2 over the Z6 interact. Better handling and mileage in my personal experience.:STOC::dr13:

jdaniels

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05ST1300'02FZ1
STOC #
Doesn't seem to make much difference what tire I put on the rear,I never get many miles.I think mine wear quicker because we're 2up pulling the trailer 99% of our mileage.At 4k miles I need a tire.I did get 6500 one time on the 880 but that was before I got the trailer.Have never tried the pr2 so can't compare.

Just bought the PR2's and received them today. I'm currently running with the Dunlops. I have 10k on them and they are ok. I was also in the same delima as to which tire to get. I looked primarily at Avon Storms and Michelin PR2s. The PR2's won out because of one factor for me. I live in Pasadena, CA and the local Motorcycle police swear by the PR2's. Hell if they like them and they are on them all day long I'll go with that recommendation.

I still have another 1000 miles left on the Dunnies before I put the PR2's on, but I'll update the board when I do.

Just my 2 cents.

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
I just changed my Metzler Z6 and ME880 for a set of PR2's. I only have about 350 miles on the PR2's so I am still breaking them in. The Z6 on the front was on the bike when I bought it and was an OK tire. The rear 880 was horrible! It felt like I was riding on ice when the road was wet!! I don't like that rear tire. I haven't ridden in the rain yet with PR2's but so far so good. Of course YMMV..
Posted via Mobile Device

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Is not the ME880 a bias ply tire? H Rated or HB rated.
The spec is for a Z rated radial.
I have decided if I can get 8K to 11K out of my tires it just the cost of ownership.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Is not the ME880 a bias ply tire? H Rated or HB rated.
The spec is for a Z rated radial.
I have decided if I can get 8K to 11K out of my tires it just the cost of ownership.
The ME880 Marathon tire sized for the ST1300 rear tire is a radial tire (170/60VR-17).
Looking at the TIRE Speed Rating Chart the V type tires are rated for maximum designed speed of 149 mph, while the Z type tires are rated at 149+ mph.

I rode on a ME880 rear tire for about 7,000 miles before I picked up a nail in the tire. There were still a lot of miles left in this tire. I was happy with the tire's performance, but with the understanding that this was a compromise from the Z6 tires.

I replaced the ME880 rear tire with a Pilot Road 2 because I was out of town and that was the only tire in stock at the STealer in the correct size. I have about 5K on the PR2 and would say that handling is somewhere between the Z6 and the ME880. If I can get another 5K on the PR2, I would probably go with another PR2 rear.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Just switched from a PR2 to a ME880. I haven't hardly put any miles on it yet (~50 in-town) so I can't really compare the two. I really liked my PR2s especially in the rain. They had good grip and handled grooved pavement like it wasn't there.

I would consider myself as a moderately agressive rider (more so if following TPadden on his Duc). I did wear out the sides of my last PR2 before the middle on my last tire.

I am not sure the ME 880 will hold up to my riding style or not, thought I'd give it a try. Might have to take it easy for a while.

I would like to get more than 6600 miles from a rear tire.

Also, got the tire delivered for $165 from Motorcycle Superstore.
Mike

Mike

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I would never put Metzlers on a bike as heavy as the ST. I have run them on my vmax and they were good tires, no problems. However on the heavier bikes like my Venture (860lbs) a lot of people seem to have problems with them throwing chunks of tread off long before wearing out the tread. Just my opinion, YMMV.
They are rated for 937 lbs at 50 psi. Noy sure I understand your comments about putting them on a 'heavy' bike. I know a few wingers that love them.
Mike
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Bottom